How to fix stripped strap button?

bengerm77

• Members

My guitar that I recently installed a set of schaller strap locks on to is having one of the buttons slowly come out. I tighten the screw back into the body of the guitar and it just gets loose again in a matter of minutes. I figure the thing is stripped. How do I remedy this?

• Members

remedy 1...the quick way...dip a couple toothpicks in glue, insert them into hole, replce screw...

remedy 2...use wood filler in hole, redrill and insert screw...

remedy 3...use wood dowel to fill hole, glue into place, refinish and insert screw...

remedy4...NOT RECOMENDED...use a bigger screw...

• Members

I used Gorilla Glue. Seriously.

OTOH its a an Epi Iommi that had all the Iommi bits removed and then given a half-assed sanding job ... I slapped some deck stain on it, followed that a coat or two of acrylic and I called it good. So it's never gonna win any beauty contests anyway and resale value was already low ... :idk:

That's her over there in my avatar.

• Members

The above are the easy fixes. Here's the way to make it damn permanent. Get a 6/32 screw and a 6/32 threaded insert. Drill a 1/4" hole for the insert. Stick a piece of masking tape to the end of the insert that's going into the body (to keep the epoxy out of the threads). Goop it up with some epoxy. Leave it alone till the epoxy sets up. Use the 6/32 screw, with blue loctite, to hold the strap button in place. That mofo ain't never gonna give you {censored} again. Did this to a customer's geetar over a year ago. This guy's an animal on stage. He hasn't had a problem since. Yes it's overkill. Toothpick usually is all that's needed. In this case, that had been tried by another tech and it didn't last. I gots a customer for life. BTW I did both on his geetar.

• Members

I have replaced 4 pulled out ones with drywall screws. I got tired of messing around with the toothpicks. I have had a few pull out a second time. It's always the butt end that pulls out on mine for some reason. On my strat, I just drilled another hole beside the one that stripped. I don't have any museum pieces anyway.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

I use flat tooth picks. You can alternate direction or stuff a bunch pointy end in. I don't think it matters. Elmer's or wood glue is preferred - the excess will wipe off no problem.

You do the following steps any way you see fit. For instance, fill the hole with glue first and start jamming toothpicks in there or pre assemble your tooth pick laminate with glue and let set before gluing assembled plug into hole etc..

If you get past all that, wipe up any excess glue and wait 24 hrs for everything to dry. If you haven't already, you can now trim any protruding toothpicks flush.

Now drill a pilot hole to the length of your screw. This can be the smallest diameter - 1/16th or less but under the diameter of the screw regardless. It's only soft wood and glue so the plug should present little resistance to the screw.

Done.

Archived