Trade Tang Guitars?

Steadfastly

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

True.

Cheap stuff but consistant at least and they did stand behind their products. For a while there too, lot's of great personal service from the owner.

GFS has apparently gotten to the point where Jay needed help. Unfortunately, though, it seems he has delegated so much that he is mostly hands-off. I don't even know if he has a direct email listed anymore.

• Members

A while back there was a Les Paul advertised on Craigslist locally for a price that almost seemed too good to be true. Well it was. I don't know if it came through Trade Tang, but it was immediately recognizable as a fake. and not a good one either. Stick with brands and dealers you know. What's so great about having a guitar with Gibson on the headstock if it is a piece of {censored}?

• Members

A while back there was a Les Paul advertised on Craigslist locally for a price that almost seemed too good to be true. Well it was. I don't know if it came through Trade Tang, but it was immediately recognizable as a fake. and not a good one either. Stick with brands and dealers you know. What's so great about having a guitar with Gibson on the headstock if it is a piece of {censored}?

I agree. Trouble is, you find real Gibbys that are also pieces of {censored}.

• Members

When I first started this thread, I wasn't thinking about getting a certain brand, fake or otherwise. I couldn't care less what's on the headstock of my guitar. What I'm concerned about is how good an instrument I can get for my budget. If it says Rosywoowoo on the headstock, so be it, as logn as it plays and handles nicely. The guitars in the pictures are mostly quite obvious fakes. I'm not concerned about the resale value or trying to pass if off as something it is not. Just give me a great guitar for as little as I have to spend for it. That is all.

• Members

The Korean hamers I've seen coming into my shop are dang good geetars for a fair price.

Must've been a local shop that used to carry these, because I see lots. A few minor bridge tweeks, sometimes a truss adj and that's about it. Nuts are even cut properly.

• Members

If you can find an honest seller on there it would be worth it, they are actually decent guitars.

Problem is, if there is something wrong with what you receive, you are {censored} out of luck, if you receive anything at all.

I've owned a few and they were all typical Chinese quality, {censored}ty electronics/pickups with decent wood/construction.

They make some cool looking guitars, but I also wish they would just come up with their own brand name...

• Members

If you can find an honest seller on there it would be worth it, they are actually decent guitars.

Problem is, if there is something wrong with what you receive, you are {censored} out of luck, if you receive anything at all.

I've owned a few and they were all typical Chinese quality, {censored}ty electronics/pickups with decent wood/construction.

They make some cool looking guitars, but I also wish they would just come up with their own brand name...

So 'they are actually decent guitars'...even though they're all different guitars from different sellers? That's like saying that Ebay's selling 'decent guitars'.....

• Members

There are a number of sellers that are selling the exact same guitars. If you go through 40 or 50 pages on the site, you'll see the same guitars over and over, with the same pics. So it may be that there are only a few actual manufacturers.

• Members

So 'they are actually decent guitars'...even though they're all different guitars from different sellers? That's like saying that Ebay's selling 'decent guitars'.....

Do you think there are 30 factories making these things?

They are all made in 2 to 3 factories, tops. These sellers go direct to the factory, buy what matches the picture, and resell to whoever. I have a friend that lives in Beijing, where most of these come from and if they don't come from there they come from Quingdao.

I would think the quality would be very similar on all of them, if fact, in the 10 or so that I have played, they all felt like a Chinese guitar to me...Which is what I was referring to in saying they are decent guitars, the ones I have played :wave:

Can I guarantee they are all decent guitars? No. That is like saying that every American made guitar is a great guitar...

• Members

When I first started this thread, I wasn't thinking about getting a certain brand, fake or otherwise. I couldn't care less what's on the headstock of my guitar. What I'm concerned about is how good an instrument I can get for my budget. If it says Rosywoowoo on the headstock, so be it, as logn as it plays and handles nicely. The guitars in the pictures are mostly quite obvious fakes. I'm not concerned about the resale value or trying to pass if off as something it is not. Just give me a great guitar for as little as I have to spend for it. That is all.

Then do your homework and investigate brands that offer quality specs and materials, for less.

But if something seems to good to be true.......well....

Simple fact is, there is NO secret brand out there that is giving high end specs for those kind chinese counterfeit prices.

• Members

It's already been said, but Agile is going to be your best bang for your buck, and you get top notch customer service. You'll end up paying close to the same price, but you're not taking a swing in the dark on rondo's stuff.

• Members

I don't have a real problem with Chinese-made guitars. I own one right now, and I've owned others. I do have a problem with Chinese-made guitars (or guitars made elsewhere) trying to pass themselves off as something they aren't.

• Members

I think the problem here is not that someone's labeling cheap guitars as Gibson's (or Gibsuns) but that these may not even be functioning instruments. I've read about people taking the truss rod covers off of Gibson counterfeits and finding no truss rod!!! Or the electronics not working! Or no control cavities!

I mean if that sounds like a good moding platform to you, go for it!

• Members

With the thousands of halfway decent guitars floating around on the used market for next to nothing, why in the world would you support the Chinese black market? You could be helping some guy down the street pay his mortgage by buying his used Epi instead. {censored} Trade Tang.

Archived