Help! Please inspect these homemade strat pics

RufusFussbuster

• Members

I have an offer to trade for this home made strat for my Squier Affinity Telecaster.

I'm inclined to make the trade.

Could anyone please eyeball these pics and tell me if anything (other than cosmetics) jumps out at you.

For instance, the low E break angle from the nut to the tuner - okay?

Other party claims it plays great. Mexican strat pups. Body is laminated - ash, cherry, hickory.

Because he's from out of town, this is a one day offer to meet and make the trade today. Thanks for any input!

IMG_0906.jpg

IMG_0907.jpg

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0915.jpg

• Members

The finish on the headstock looks really cruddy in the third pic. I'd be wary.

The things I'd really be worried about are things you can't tell in pics; quality of the routes, fret work, nut and bridge placement. The finish on the headstock suggests poor attention to detail and maybe he's just trying to unload a 'problem' guitar.

• Members

I'm sorry, that looks awful. Carving is uneven, finish looks like it was applied with a mop. The laminate would make a great carving board but it'll just sound thin and lifeless in a guitar, especially one with ceramic pickups. Hardware is cheap - there's probably not more than $40 worth of hardware and electronics in it. It's very hard for me to believe that builder would be capable of a decent fret job.

I know you say you don't care about cosmetics, but remember, everyone who sees it is going to assume YOU made it.

Archived