Hendrix Tribute - No Strat?

Burgess

• Members

Not my idea but I have to admit, I was open to it. Former bandmates of mine asked if I was interested in doing a Hendrix Tribute band. Not a Hendrix imitation mind you, because I'm never going to be tall, thin and left-handed. But more or less just playin some Hendrix tunes the way we want to play them. 'Cause if any of you know me then you pretty much know I'm going to play the tunes the way I want to play them, right?

So here's the million dollar question. Can I do this without a Strat?

I've got a Strat but it's really not setup for Hendrix with the whammy bar blocked and all. Besides, since Jimi's passing there have been major strides in guitar making and I'm not convinced Jimi would still be playing a Strat today if he were still with us, but that's besides the point. The point is, will the audience buy a Hendrix Tribute band where the guitar player doesn't even bring a Strat even as a backup?

Okay, let the debate begin. I'm really looking for answers here. I've no clue, really. :facepalm:

• Members

Of course you can get close to the tones he did without a Strat. The bigger question is how are you going to get some of the sounds he got without a working tremolo?

I think Jimi would have played some sort of a Strat nonetheless. Most players of his time continue to play Strats today.

• Members

I've got a a few shredders guitars that can do some fairly Strat like tones with locking whammies that stay in tune like a mofo. Jackson SL-1, a Partsocaster with EMGs, an acrylic shredder that's always been a crowd favorite. This kind of stuff.

Of course you can get close to the tones he did without a Strat. The bigger question is how are you going to get some of the sounds he got without a working tremolo?

I think Jimi would have played some sort of a Strat nonetheless. Most players of his time continue to play Strats today.

• Members

years ago i played bass in a band that did a lot of hendrix... the (excellent) guitar player didn't use a strat... so yes

and "But more or less just playin some Hendrix tunes the way we want to play them." is a great way to go about it imo... sounds like a blast

• Members

Besides, since Jimi's passing there have been major strides in guitar making and I'm not convinced Jimi would still be playing a Strat today if he were still with us, but that's besides the point.

Despite those "major strides," there's nothing that sounds like a vintage strat from the 1950s-1960's. Not only do I think that Jimi would be playing a strat today, but he largely defined the strat sound through a Marshall stack. His live performances with his Flying V fall short of what he was able to do on a strat.

• Members

Despite those "major strides," there's nothing that sounds like a vintage strat from the 1950s-1960's. Not only do I think that Jimi would be playing a strat today, but he largely defined the strat sound through a Marshall stack. His live performances with his Flying V fall short of what he was able to do on a strat.

Well Jimi was never one to yearn for the days of old; I think he'd have probably been at the cutting edge trying every new thing he could. Also, I haven't heard them so couldn't say for sure, but I imagine the reason his V performances aren't the same as his Strat ones is the lack of whammy, which Hendrix relied heavily on.

• Members

Hendrix's tone was in his fingers... :poke:

... and the univibe, fuzz, wah-wah, octave-thingy and vast Marshall stackage! ;)

When I hear some Jimi, I know who's playing immediately. It's harder to work out whether he's using a Strat or a V though. If you've got the chops to play like Jimi, whatever guitar you use will be fine :thu:

• Members

Not my idea but I have to admit, I was open to it. Former bandmates of mine asked if I was interested in doing a Hendrix Tribute band. Not a Hendrix imitation mind you, because I'm never going to be tall, thin and left-handed. But more or less just playin some Hendrix tunes the way we want to play them. 'Cause if any of you know me then you pretty much know I'm going to play the tunes the way I want to play them, right?

So here's the million dollar question. Can I do this without a Strat?

I've got a Strat but it's really not setup for Hendrix with the whammy bar blocked and all. Besides, since Jimi's passing there have been major strides in guitar making and I'm not convinced Jimi would still be playing a Strat today if he were still with us, but that's besides the point. The point is, will the audience buy a Hendrix Tribute band where the guitar player doesn't even bring a Strat even as a backup?

Okay, let the debate begin. I'm really looking for answers here. I've no clue, really.
:facepalm:

I think you're overthinking this.

I'll join with the others who've said that if you aren't doing a strict imitation then you aren't tied to using a Strat. Your interpretation- your instrument choice.

Hell, check these guys out:

[video=youtube;UP7rjppeRA0]

• Members

Do what you want.

Magic happens when people do things contrary to expectations.

That being said, if you use a non-strat to play Hendrix and it goes over badly, you can always pick up a cheap import strat for those songs.

FWIW, Paul Gilbert uses an Ibanez with HBs (probably splits 'em) to do some Hendrix tunes, and I didn't see anyone booing him off the stage.

• Members

I think as long as your guitar isn't too hot and heavy with the distortion and can get some nice clean bright sounds, you can do it with any guitar you have.

And maybe you can get a Digitech Whammy or that Boss PS (Phase Shifter) pedal to simulate the Strat trem sounds?

• Members

I dont think you will get much of an audience these days. The thing about Hendrix was Hendrix - the music , not so much.

Depends on the area, I suppose, and how you market it. There's probably a big audience if you sell it as a Sixties nostalgia caper. I like tribute acts, myself - a good tribute act is a nice chance to hear great music played live, as it should be - I'll take that over a jukebox every time. Personally, I kinda prefer the pantomime looky-likey versions myself, as the other type have, ime, all too often been really tedious, pretentious muso types. Either way can be fun, though. It's a crying shame that Jimi's music is more often something to be wanked over by tedious guitar fetishists than it is recognised as simply the great music it was.

Archived