Reverend Guitars

HolySchmidt24

• Members

What do you guys know about Reverend guitars? I saw a guy playing a Club King RT with the filtertron-style pickups a while back at a concert and loved the sound of it. It cut through the mix really well, and seemed to play great through the Edge-esque delay-to-AC30 setup he was running.

They're relatively inexpensive guitars, and I'm looking for something to balance out the bluesy and warmer sounds of my Clapton strat and '72 Tele humbuckers. I just can't tell if it was his effects chain and amp that was making it sound much better than it actually is.

Any thoughts? I'm specifically looking into the Club King RT and the Buckshot.

• Members

I've played one once and it was one of the best guitars I've ever played. I offered a couple hundred dollars more than she had paid for it right then and there. Unfortunately I didn't take note of the model and that's the only one I've ever played so I can't speak to the quality of all their guitars.

• Members

I have had a Reverend V w/ P90's, a Rev LP style w/ P90's, and an orange Flatrock with RevTrons in it. The Flatrock is one of my very best guitars, the other two I have sold. That wasn't because they were bad guitars: ALL OF THEM were setup fine, sounded good, stayed in tune, and were cool. Just had too many P90 guitars (took it down to 2) and didn't particularly think the Reverend P90 pickups outshined my others. They were lower output/cleaner sounding instead of raunchy (compared to Gibson which I kept, and a Yamaha TVL hollowbody which I kept that has 3, P90's)

The Flatrock is a WONDERFUL guitar (once I adjusted the pickups quite close to the strings). Good Luck!

PS - I have bought all my Rev's on Ebay, or used on Ebay and it worked out well.

• Members

Awesome!

I know it's cliche to compare like this, but since it's near impossible to find some to play in a local store, can someone give a couple comprable sounds with other guitars?

I've heard the Buckshot is very tele-like, stemming from the tele-style bridge pickup. I'd imagine the rev-tron's are nice in the semi-hollow Club King, but I want to make sure it's close to what I'm going for. The demos I've seen of the Club King RT are very rockabilly-esque, which is not exactly my style. I play in church and worship a lot so I am looking for a nice clean/light overdrive sound that works well with chords and some lead licks.

Thanks!

• Members

Awesome!

I know it's cliche to compare like this, but since it's near impossible to find some to play in a local store, can someone give a couple comprable sounds with other guitars?

I've heard the Buckshot is very tele-like, stemming from the tele-style bridge pickup. I'd imagine the rev-tron's are nice in the semi-hollow Club King, but I want to make sure it's close to what I'm going for. The demos I've seen of the Club King RT are very rockabilly-esque, which is not exactly my style. I play in church and worship a lot so I am looking for a nice clean/light overdrive sound that works well with chords and some lead licks.

Thanks!

THere are good demos of most of their models on their website. Based off your current guitars, and what you are looking for, the Flatrock might be a very good fit. I've always found mine to be a very versatile guitar.

• Members

THere are good demos of most of their models on their website. Based off your current guitars, and what you are looking for, the Flatrock might be a very good fit. I've always found mine to be a very versatile guitar.

Yes, the flatrock is chambered I think... it should be very similar to the one with F hole. The pickups are quite nice, OD nicely, and great cleans.

• Members

Awesome!

Thanks!

You play in a worship band? Here is an idea for you - I have an LRBrigs piezo bridge installed in my Flatrock with its own volume knob added to the pickguard. I find it VERY diverse as a guitar with this addition. Come to think of it, its probably the perfect worship band guitar (unless you have multiple guitarists already).

Setup: 2 push/pull volume pots replace the regular volume and tone on the Flatrock. Pull the volume:switch between piezo and regular pickups into the regular part of the 1/4" jack. Pull the tone knob and combine the magnetic and piezo to bled together. All run into a Stereo jack so you can run the piezo permanently into its own amp if desired, or just use the mono 1/4" (like I usually do) and 1 amp.

Anyway, the pickups you are looking at will be great for your application.

• Members

I bought a second model Flatroc (w/ the stock Bigsby!) off of Ebay for $520.00 and it blew my Fred Gretsch era Silver Jet and '60 Double Anniversary both out of the water. I like their necks and the body shape is more ergonomic than it looks. The bass contour control is amazing. I've since sold my Gretsches.

• Members

I bought a second model Flatroc (w/ the stock Bigsby!) off of Ebay for $520.00 and it blew my Fred Gretsch era Silver Jet and '60 Double Anniversary both out of the water. I like their necks and the body shape is more ergonomic than it looks. The bass contour control is amazing. I've since sold my Gretsches.

If I found one with a Bigsby at that price I'd take out my credit card right here and now and buy one.

How does the bass contour work? I've listened to demos and read some reviews, but still can't pinpoint what its purpose is. (I know that's a little bit of a noob question.)

• Members

I have 2 Reverends, a Club King 290 and a Warhawk.

Both are nice. I got the Club King at a very decent price from a shop that was closing, and it needed a full set up. Got it strung with flatwounds, and sounds great. Sorry, no clips, but I like the soapbars on it, nice clean tone from the neck pup, bridge a little hotter.

• Members

I've owned a P90 ClubKing and one of the last Roccos they produced before discontinuing the model and moving production offshore. I liked both guitars quite a bit but I traded to Clubking for 1963 Gretsch Corvette and selling the Rocco.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone. There are now a few dealers in my area but there didn't used to be any. I ordered both of mine sight unseen but I was not disappointed when they arrived.

It's still a small shop and they are signed on the back of the headstock by the tech that tests them. Mine were produced five years apart and they ended up being signed by the same guy.

• Members

My reverend is great. Im fortunate to have a dealer close to home. The ones ive tried have been great as well. My conclusion is theyre great guitars (and ive never had the opportunity to play an american made one)

• Members

How does the bass contour work? I've listened to demos and read some reviews, but still can't pinpoint what its purpose is. (I know that's a little bit of a noob question.)

I'm pretty sure it's a pot and a cap but I've quit taking my guitars apart long ago. It's a passive control for the low end of the guitar. On the Flatroc's Filtertron copies it takes the guitar from a full on Filtertron sound down to a sorta Hi-Lo Tron sound. If you're not familiar with Gretsches then that's probably not too helpful. It does work great though. On the bridge pickup I can roll the bass contour down just a hair and it does a decent Telecaster impersonation.

• Members

I'm pretty sure it's a pot and a cap but I've quit taking my guitars apart long ago. It's a passive control for the low end of the guitar. On the Flatroc's Filtertron copies it takes the guitar from a full on Filtertron sound down to a sorta Hi-Lo Tron sound. If you're not familiar with Gretsches then that's probably not too helpful. It does work great though. On the bridge pickup I can roll the bass contour down just a hair and it does a decent Telecaster impersonation.

So in a way it's the counter to a normal tone control that you use to roll off the treble? From what I remember, the Hi-Lo's are basically Gretsch single coils, so that would make sense.

BTW, good to see a fellow Northern Virginian around here. Seems to be somewhat bearable out today, doesn't it?

Archived