Which guitar should I get next? and why?... :)

Jkater

• Members

Let see...you already have a ton of guitars :wave:

You've got some Pure90's right so eventually you'll have the P90's covered.

Maybe a big hollow body Jazz box if you are set on getting another guitar or a 12 string acoustic (since you play acoustic so well that would be a nice addition IMO).

And though I know it's sacrilege to say around here...you probably have most everything you really need so unless you've got money burning a hole in your pocket you really have most bases covered.

Maybe invest in a really good amp :idk:

• Members
You need mini-hums and more mojo.

After spending a winter getting to know my single coils (I rotate my few guitars by the season), I have really come to love and appreciate the tone of lil'bucks.

I picked up this 2001 Gibson Deluxe in the spring and the pickups are articulate and quiet. Show me a person who says they can't growl or roar and I'll show you a person who doesn't know how to fiddle the knobs on their gear.

P4020006-1.jpg

• Members
It's tough but I guess I could help you out. Sell me the 904. I'll give you enough to snag that Hello Kitty that's up on the bay there.

:lol: That was a good one!

GD, you've been reading my mind...

• Members

Damn, Richard, that collection is amazing! You might not have the biggest collection but I vote you for best taste.

There are two guitars missing from your collection that I am currently jonesing for my own self:

1. Mahogany body with P90s

2. Weddington of any flavor

• Members

Well, what I'm gassing for these days is a guitar with a bigsby that sounds full with good definition on every notes when playing chords. Sounds like a Gretsch, eh? But finances are tight again. The LP could either go to finance it OR be modded with a Bigsby and strung with flats.

The many P-90 suggestions were right on the mark and I've already made a move in that directon. The Lag (front left in the first pic) is getting P-90's (bg pure 90's and CTS 500k pots ready for installation).

Thanks for chipping in, everyone. :)

• Members

I think the French horn could go..... nice collection, btw. How about something with an under saddle piezo? I swear by them, sometimes at them! You could retro fit one of your alreadys, but think you want something new, right? The piezo just opens up and adds dimensions that you can't get with a standard guitar. love em to death, but that's not all that far away...

• Members
JKater. I think you need something gretschy. Why, because I think it would suit your style very nicely, especially the Dearmond pups.
:thu:

Yes, it's been on my mind for some time. Now, I need to check out the used market. A nicely beaten up (i.e. well used but good working and more affordable) exemplar would serve me well.

• Members

I think the French horn could go..... nice collection, btw. How about something with an under saddle piezo? I swear by them, sometimes at them! You could retro fit one of your alreadys, but think you want something new, right? The piezo just opens up and adds dimensions that you can't get with a standard guitar. love em to death, but that's not all that far away...

All three acoustics have transducers under the saddle. Good suggestion, though. As to the french horn, I love that thing to death and getting slowly better at it. I'm due to take part in a small local brass ensemble this year.

• Members

I also play the french horn! Just graduated, so I'm hoping to get my own sometime over the summer. It's really rewarding. I think one of the acoustics or basses could go to finance a nice 12 string, and you could then put a bigsby on the LP.

• Members

Well, what I'm gassing for these days is a guitar with a bigsby that sounds full with good definition on every notes when playing chords. Sounds like a Gretsch, eh? But finances are tight again. The LP could either go to finance it OR be modded with a Bigsby and strung with flats.

The many P-90 suggestions were right on the mark and I've already made a move in that directon. The Lag (front left in the first pic) is getting P-90's (bg pure 90's and CTS 500k pots ready for installation).

Thanks for chipping in, everyone.
:)

depending on how tight your budget truly is, there are a lot of used Gretsches out there that would "scratch that itch" for you. PM me more info around what you're looking for, if you want, and I'll gladly do some searching of my own on my free time to help you out.

• Members
depending on how tight your budget truly is, there are a lot of used Gretsches out there that would "scratch that itch" for you. PM me more info around what you're looking for, if you want, and I'll gladly do some searching of my own on my free time to help you out.

Thanks GD. You sure would be the right person for such a quest. :)

I'm still at the "dreaming" stage but that's where it starts. I wonder about the cheap Gretsches from that other thread. I presume more is missing than just the right pups in those. And I don't want a " prop" (to make myself look like I own a Gretsch). Modding the LP would be an option but I'd lose the nice vibe of that guitar. It's a rather good LP.

Meantime, the Heritage is growing on me. After the short honeymoon (and return policy period...), I was somewhat underwhelmed but I'm getting used to the narrow neck and the idea that it is not cosmetically flawless. I put new flats on it yesterday night, applied polish to it to make it sleek and beautiful and played unplugged for two hours. Bliss.

• Members

This is a great call. I had a set of Pure 90s in a PRS SE Singlecut and they are AWESOME. Need to get a get a new set (oh, and a guitar to put them in).

• Members
This is a great call. I had a set of Pure 90s in a PRS SE Singlecut and they are AWESOME. Need to get a get a new set (oh, and
a guitar to put them in
).

Weddington? :thu: Though I'd hesitate to mod such a guitar. The Lag has already been modded (bridge to fit humbucker) so the Pure 90's are a great idea for improving it further. In retrospect, I would have kept it original but I can't go back since I slightly shaved the pickguard to accomodate the larger bridge. No huge regrets, I'm looking forward to make it the p90 guitar in the small lot.

• Members

Weddington?
Though I'd hesitate to mod such a guitar. The Lag has already been modded (bridge to fit humbucker) so the Pure 90's are a great idea for improving it further. In retrospect, I would have kept it original but I can't go back since I slightly shaved the pickguard to accomodate the larger bridge. No huge regrets, I'm looking forward to make it the p90 guitar in the small lot.

No way would I replace the pups in a Weddington! Heresy!!!

• Members

Dang, I was stumped for almost a half a minute when finally it hit me -

You need a semi-hollow with P-90s. You could also just get a solid body with P-90s but I think a semi-H P-90 might be more of a niche not represented there.

Question would be, which one.

The '60s Tribute SGs sound sweet. The LP versions are a bit "woofier"

Best sounding P-90 guitar I've bought so far has probably been the PRS Mira 245 Soapbar. I easily prefer its tone over my Gibson Custom Shop LP Specials and it cost significantly less.

Archived