anyone try the mxr '78 distortion?

twotimingpete

• Members

Youtube videos are so different sounding one must go to a store and test it with your own gear. I got interested because of this video then saw another and in that on the MXR sounded like an Ibanez Toneblaster POS amp I had years ago...hated that distortion.

• Members

Youtube videos are so different sounding one must go to a store and test it with your own gear. I got interested because of this video then saw another and in that on the MXR sounded like an Ibanez Toneblaster POS amp I had years ago...hated that distortion.

because most people have no idea how to make things sound good. PGS actually IS a good way to see how pedals sound because they do it right and they're consistent. there's a large volume of context since I've been watching their videos for ages.

I've bought pedals after seeing them demoed by PGS multiple times and found the PGS demo to be accurate.

• Members

GMD's videos also make this thing come across well. I think it may be worth a shot considering the low price of $79 new.

I would agree with scolfax that it seems to really sound good with that strat single coil. fattens it up nicely but without losing the strat bite.

[video=youtube;CKRbeeas1UY]

as with most dirt boxes I think you need a nice strong clean signal to get the most out of them.. such as from a fender, like how PGS does it.

• Members

Sounds usable. Should have waited for this instead of getting the Classic Overdrive and Classic Distortion.

I will NEVER regret my Classic OD purchase, especially after I modded it by moving the switch from the underside of the board to next to the knobs.

• Members

I picked up the '78 a few hours ago - I love it! Using a G&L Legacy (into a Pro Jr. for now) and it sounds great.

Definitely has a character all its own. I think if I had to define it in one word it would be "crisp"

• Members

I picked up the '78 a few hours ago - I love it! Using a G&L Legacy (into a Pro Jr. for now) and it sounds great.

Definitely has a character all its own. I think if I had to define it in one word it would be "crisp"

awesome, is it true as the video suggests that the whole gain knob is useful? and curious if you've ever played a crunch box and could comment on how they compare to eachother.

• Members

awesome, is it true as the video suggests that the whole gain knob is useful? and curious if you've ever played a crunch box and could comment on how they compare to eachother.

I haven't played a Crunch Box.

I would say that the Tone control is very useful - does a lot through the entire range.

The Crunch mode sounds so good to me I can't imagine turning it off.

The Distortion knob seems to just increase volume up until 2:00. After that it starts to add a lot of grit.

In general the pedal reacts great to guitar volume knob changes. You can definitely keep it clean enough for rock rhythms and then crank it up for leads.

• Members

because most people have no idea how to make things sound good. PGS actually IS a good way to see how pedals sound because they do it right and they're consistent. there's a large volume of context since I've been watching their videos for ages.

I've bought pedals after seeing them demoed by PGS multiple times and found the PGS demo to be accurate.

I agree - PGS videos are very good and realistic. However, you do need to try it through your particular amp (I reckon) too, to get a good sense of whether it's going to work for you.

• Members

I'm going to qualify my praise of this pedal a bit. I just got a new amp (Top Hat Club Royale, which is awesome BTW) and this pedal sounds like ass through it. Sounded pretty great through my Fender Pro Jr. though.

• Members

I'm going to qualify my praise of this pedal a bit. I just got a new amp (Top Hat Club Royale, which is awesome BTW) and this pedal sounds like ass through it. Sounded pretty great through my Fender Pro Jr. though.

Interesting... In what way does it sound like ass?

• Members

Interesting... In what way does it sound like ass?

Icepicky and overly harsh. I was able to dial it to a point where it was the least unpleasant on the Top Hat (Vox-style), but on the Pro Jr the pedal had a wide range of great tones.

Archived