GFS for the long haul

jjpistols

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hmm just wondering Jay aka Guitarfetish do you use your own pickups in your main guitars?

Well I'm like everybody here- I fall in and out of love with stuff every day.

My main guitars that I play every day are usually protos of new Xaviere stuff. I like to live with them for a while. Given the time constraints of this business my playing out is limited to blues jams and sitting in with people when invited.

But I tend to play a lot of vintage guitars and I like to play as much of the boutique hand wound stuff as I can. The only way I can even TELL if any of my stuff is making the grade is if my ears are tuned to the "BEST" pickups out there.

Remember how subjective this stuff is- there is no good or bad tone- what we are reacting to is a "popular" tone. The sound of distortion or the sound of a single coil pickup is a completely invented culture.

I also have a Les Paul that was modified by the factory as a pickup demo unit- So I can sit here and swap out pickups in a second- thats really the ONLY way to really get as objective a picture of what a pickup sounds like- cause it's the same guitar, neck, frets, strings and your ears are dialed in- Even soldering new pickup in will take an hour and by then you've forgotten a lot of the sound of the original.

But this week I'm playing my Les Paul BFG and my Eric Johnson strat and a 72 tele and a 69 strat- all with original pickups- as well as an Xaviere with P90s and a 70's Custom with Vintage 59s.

Jay

• Members
I have had mean90s in my main axe for almost a year and they are wonderful. Took a bit of time to adjust them with the right pole piece height and overall height, but they really make my tubes sing. No desire to change them out in the foreseeable future.

Pretty much the same here but mine were set up fine right away :thu:

• Members

Well I'm like everybody here- I fall in and out of love with stuff every day.

...But this week I'm playing my Les Paul BFG and my Eric Johnson strat and a 72 tele and a 69 strat- all with original pickups- as well as an Xaviere with P90s and a 70's Custom with Vintage 59s.

Jay

Thanks for replying, interesting to know, If I have a couple of Qs and want to ask you general stuff (ie: not stuff directly to do with buying stuff from Guitarfetish) and I send them to your email will you answer them?

• Members

It seems to me from reading here that many people are excited about the new sound when they install GFS pickups, but seem to end up replacing them after the honeymoon wears off.

How many people are long time loyalists, and which models are you sticking with?

how many of you were searching again after a month or so?

Why do you seem to have a hard on to bash GFS?

• Members

Speaking as someone who was/is considering buying some GFS pickup for a tele project and a sort of test bed for future projects, I have found this thread quite helpful and informative.
I dont think this thread has cast any ill will toward GF at all, infact I would suggest the opposite is true.
Its a shame that people cant tell the difference between a creative debate and an argument :S

• Members
It seems to me from reading here that many people are excited about the new sound when they install GFS pickups, but seem to end up replacing them after the honeymoon wears off.

How many people are long time loyalists, and which models are you sticking with?

how many of you were searching again after a month or so?

TN_axe_7_06.jpg00921124000.jpg

• Members

I've got a set of GFS Fat PAF's in my Agile LP2000. That guitar sounds great! They're staying.

I've some Dream 90s in another Agile, a PRS copy with a Floyd. I'll probably yank them from that axe. Jay warned me that they may not have enough output for my taste and he was right. The neck pup isn't bad but the bridge just doesn't have enough balls for me. :(

• Members

The Fat PAF HB I put in my "Gumbycaster" sounds OK. Hasn't been in there
long enough to comment on it's longevity. I guess some people can throw
down $100 to experiment with a PUP, I don't. TBH, if it sucked, I was going
to find a '51 bridge HB from someone here. I do like it's sound better than
the GFS, but that's personal taste. YMMV.

• Members

Speaking as someone who was/is considering buying some GFS pickup for a tele project and a sort of test bed for future projects, I have found this thread quite helpful and informative.

I dont think this thread has cast any ill will toward GF at all, infact I would suggest the opposite is true.

Its a shame that people cant tell the difference between a creative debate and an argument :S

If I took this post the wrong way then I apologize to JJ. But he sure does post an awful lot of threads that seem to be searching for bad stories about GFS.

Have I had all great experiences with their products, no. I bought one of the GFS Crusaders and that pickup was awful. But since then I have bought a set of Premium II alnicos and a set of the Premium Texas Alnicos and I love boths sets of those pickups. I also bought one of the XV-600's with P90's and I love that guitar.

• Members

+1

• Members

Have not been impressed with the Fat Body tele neck pup. Was pretty meh about a lipstick pup I tried, too.

You might just be like me. I hate just about all Tele neck pickups. LOL I put a Duncan SSL-1 Strat pickup in the neck of Sunny and Skye came with a TexMex humbucker.

I'm tempted to try the vintage splits that Jay has in the neck of a Tele. :thu:

• Members

Thanks for replying, interesting to know, If I have a couple of Qs and want to ask you general stuff (ie: not stuff directly to do with buying stuff from Guitarfetish) and I send them to your email will you answer them?

Sure- Just stick a ten dollar bill in the email....

Always happy to help with ANY guitar related questions-

• Members

Weighing in late here - I have a partscaster with an Alnico Fatbody in the neck and a Lil Hot Puncher in the bridge (w/splitter). I absolutely love the fatbody - probably the best neck PU I've had in any tele I've owned with the possible exception of the wide-range HB in my old (76) tele custom. After about a year and a half, I'm still not sure about the lil hot puncher. It has more balls than any tele pickup I've used, but I still don't know about the tone.

• Members

Have GFS pickups in three of my guitars :

BastardStrat : Premium II Alnico II Strat Set

Xaviere XV-800 : Stock Alnico Fatbody Neck, Stock Alnico 62' Bridge

Epi Dot : Brooklyn Retrotron Neck, Nashville Retrotron Bridge

Have no plans in changing these things ever. Especially love the single coils in the strat and xv-800. Would like to try a Fat Jazz Mini on the Washburn.

attachment.php?attachmentid=230681&d=117

Archived