Do we really NEED more guitars?

steve_man

• Members

I care about other people but my god I'm a selfish bastard. It's difficult to understand what other people go through around the world when we work our 9 to 5 jobs and go home and bitch on the internet for a while. If there was a starving child next to me and giving him a thousand dollars would save his life there's no doubt that I would do it, it's just so easy to be a selfish prick when you're disconnected from it and you don't see it from yourself.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
I don't know...I was watching the news coming out of Africa last night. Really made me think. While we sit and drool over more guitars, there are a lot of people starving to death. Kinda makes it hard for me to justify any new gear, when I could give that money to someone who needs something as basic as food.

Not trying to be a downer...and I love my gear...just thinking out lout...
:idk:

:thu::thu:

Good call.

• Members

The survival instinct is strong. Obesity is one example of this instinct in action. The whole idea of protecting what's yours and not helping the poor is another. Given that, I doubt if mankind will ever learn. I forget who originally said this: A society can be judged by the way in helps it's least fortunate. Ben Franklin? Thomas Jefferson?
:idk:

Don't know, but Samuel Johnson said "a decent provision for the poor is the true test of civilization."

• Members

Having just visited China. I would say yes, we need more guitars, and we need them from companies that follow good labour ethics. It creates jobs, and if those jobs can be in large, well ventilated, air conditioned factories for a fair wage (its not going to be a high wage, but as long as its not the absolute minimum), then it helps people.

• Members

A guitar is not a "need" at all.

According to the World Health Org., one out of every six people on the planet not only doesn't have enough nourishment, but they spend essentially their entire waking like in the search for food and drinkable water.

One in six.

However, I don't believe that owning "stuff" should make somebody feel guilty. You cannot deprive yourself enough to really cause a dent in the hunger and suffering of the world.

I love guitars.

I love seeing people's huge collections and family pics and NGDs and such. I am sincerely happy for them.

I also fully believe people should spend their money on whatever they want to that they can afford.

But the whole "I have 25 guitars but I plan on getting at least 25 more" thing has only really come along since the advent of the internet.

I mean, there have always been collectors, but now it seems like there are three dozen gear-related websites and on each of them every fifth person owns a massive stable of guitars, even if they never play outside of their bedrooms.

Again, that's perfectly fine, and good for them, but I don't get it. I used to own a bunch of guitars and basses and it was more of a chore than it was a pleasure.

• Members

I can't help but wonder if things would be different for Africa if they had oil. Perhaps, the Obama administration would be drafting a big 'humanitarian' military options for Africa right now....if they only had oil. I'm not bashing Obama or the Democratic party specifically here. This is a broad observation regarding the US government in general which appeared to ring true for the Bush administration as well. Oil seems to be the common denominator in all the big military actions in recent history regardless of administration or party. Even the recent Libya military operation was called 'humanitarian.' But, you can substitute the word 'oil' in place of humanitarian on the official statements for Libya and Iraq and the text seems to read more honest.

• Members

Don't bother. I've said that twice here already and nobody seems to care.

You wanna know what really pisses me off? Come Thanksgiving and on thru Xmas, people start thinking about the less fortunate among us. People volunteer at homeless shelters, have toy drives, coat drives, food drives and everything else. Come January, which is the coldest month of the year in many places, people stop caring. WTF? Do people think they went away? They're still there and are still needy. If you wanna help, do it for the right reason, not out of guilt. And do it when they really need it. That's why I volunteer at the Mission. My institutional cooking experience helps them more than the rich assholes donating a bazillion bucks. I also have been in recovery for 6+ years. Who knows, maybe me talking to them and letting them know they
can
get clean and sober may actually save some poor lost soul. I would've been there without a good family network.

Honestly, people have responded. I volunteer here in Austin, we work with people here in Texas, and different places in the country. After the big hurricanes, we went and helped rebuild houses. Our church gives to needy that come in and ask, and so much more. It's NOT just Africa that needs help. It's not just about hunger. The AIDS epidemic in other parts of Africa, hunger here in North America, South America, the caste system in India...I could go on and on. But right now, this hunger issue is HUGE in Kenya and Somalia. You are right though...we need to be doing this stuff all the time, not just in emergencies and during the holidays.

• Members

One thing we could do in this community is encourage people to sell the gear that they don't use and send the proceeds to one of the organizations that's helping to feed Africa. It's a small idea but would certainly help buy a few lives a bit more time. Giving up gear for a worthy cause is highly likely to make you feel a bit happier for a time. Meanwhile, your spouse may show you some gratitude for lessening the clutter around the house.

• Members

but they have knowen this was coming for months. Where were all these add organiations??

Now it has hit critical mass and has the worlds attention = "money coming in" Now they want to feed the people.

There is an aid programme running now in Kenya that is still feeding Somalis that escaped the last famine more than 10 years ago. The are expanding the permanent temporary township to take the new refugees

There should be a better long term solution than continuing with handout programmes designed for emergencies.

This is one reason why there is donor fatigue in many instances.

• Members

All the reasons we can come up with to NOT help are really just poor excuses for doing nothing. I'm as guilty as anyone of doing this. I like to help, but the massive scale of the current famine also make me feel powerless and make me question the usefulness of my small contribution. Rationally I know that every little bit helps, even my 50$, but it sure doesn't feel like it in the face of such huge problems. I still give something even though I'm unemployed - my making ends meet doesn't even begin to compare with their plight, but I understand why people dont

In the long term I think it's best for the race and the planet if the wealth was more equally distributed. It's well documented that greater equality makes for more peaceful societies and I believe that would be the case on a global scale as well

• Members

but they have knowen this was coming for months. Where were all these add organiations??

Now it has hit critical mass and has the worlds attention = "money coming in" Now they want to feed the people.

Actually, i think that the first news of an impending food crisis came quite a few months ago.

But one of the cited quotes was that "there weren't enough pictures of starving kids" (or something to that extent) to get the media to raise concern amongst us...

Just the way the world works, we apparently need to see the suffering before we believe it exists.

• Members

Actually, i think that the first news of an impending food crisis came quite a few months ago.

But one of the cited quotes was that "there weren't enough pictures of starving kids" (or something to that extent) to get the media to raise concern amongst us...

Just the way the world works, we apparently need to see the suffering before we believe it exists.

I don't think the world needs more pictures. We just need to open our eyes... and our hearts.

• Members

There are good reasons to serve and bad reasons. But, even if you are doing it for the wrong reasons - DO IT ANYWAY. I don't care if you have to brag about it. Maybe you'll give someone else the idea and they'll end up serving too.

Personally, I have done some organized volunteer work and it is great because it is regular and I don't skip. But the best is when you just see some homeless guy pushing his shopping cart full of junk and just go through wendy's really quick and get him lunch. "I love Jesus and He said for me to buy you lunch today." It's not the lunch. It's probably not the message. I just want that guy to know that the entire world isn't out to get him.

• Members

There are good reasons to serve and bad reasons. But, even if you are doing it for the wrong reasons - DO IT ANYWAY. I don't care if you have to brag about it. Maybe you'll give someone else the idea and they'll end up serving too.

Personally, I have done some organized volunteer work and it is great because it is regular and I don't skip. But the best is when you just see some homeless guy pushing his shopping cart full of junk and just go through wendy's really quick and get him lunch. "I love Jesus and He said for me to buy you lunch today." It's not the lunch. It's probably not the message. I just want that guy to know that the entire world isn't out to get him.

Yuck, Wendy's?

• Members

When you're hungry, even Wendy's seems like a feast from the Gods.

Yes, but if I were seeking to help someone, I'd go with a healthy option that tastes good, not something disgusting that would give him a heart attack.

Is my point.

• Members

I can't help but wonder if things would be different for Africa if they had oil. Perhaps, the Obama administration would be drafting a big 'humanitarian' military options for Africa right now....if they only had oil. I'm not bashing Obama or the Democratic party specifically here. This is a broad observation regarding the US government in general which appeared to ring true for the Bush administration as well. Oil seems to be the common denominator in all the big military actions in recent history regardless of administration or party. Even the recent Libya military operation was called 'humanitarian.' But, you can substitute the word 'oil' in place of humanitarian on the official statements for Libya and Iraq and the text seems to read more honest.

Well China is moving into developing Africa big time. That's why when the trouble started in Libia and China sent a frigate into the mediteranean sea to over see the evacuation of their workers. It really boosted invester confidence. It showed they will protect their interests.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQtph8kvPLU

• Members
  • Members

Archived