Just got an EQ pedal. Please, share your wisdom, experience.

Jkater

• Members

Got this danelectro fish n' chips eq floor pedal. I read a lot of good things about it and thought it was good enough. I got it mainly to shape the sound of my "strat" (PAC904) and make it a little fatter but still clear and "strat" sounding. Of course, I should and will try things myself but it doesn't hurt to hear from folks who've spent the time to tweak a good strat sound using that thing.

But as the title suggest, please, share any other ideas you have found in using a 7 band eq. Looking forward to your ideas. Thanks!

• Members

Most people use them to boost, but I kind of use it backwards. I set up my lead sound without it, then use the pedal to dial in a slightly scooped, quieter rhythm tone. It's just another option to try, the possibilities are endless.

• Members

Some amps benefit more than others. I wouldn't play my ZT Lunchbox with out one. Scooped mean's a "U" or a soft "V" shape of the sliders taking the mids below the middle line and perhaps boosting the highs and lows a little.-

P.S. Try it in the FX loop if your amp has one.

• Members

I use an EQ patch on my Line 6 M5 to tame the bass "woofiness" on the neck humbucker of my Hamer Special when I play slide. Not perhaps the standard way to use it but works perfectly. I don't want to dial the bass out at the amp as I need it for my single-coil guitars, so this is a great solution.

• Members

Many of the components in my signal chain, including my guitar, my Tubescreamer-based OD pedals, and my AC30, tend to be mid-heavy. I use a Fish & Chips to counterbalance them by running it slightly scooped, with the mids cut. It's one of those things that is not really noticeable until you've been playing with it on for a while and then turn it off. Then you realize how much more balanced the tone is by reigning in the mids just a little.

• Members

My experience with EQ pedals is tiny, but i once tried a Boss EQ in the loop of a 6101 combo (thin sounding example) and found that it sounded to "synthetic" when engaged.

Based on that (and that only) i would say that i would only use it as an effect, not as a general tone shaper.

Meaning that if you have a general problem with the tone coming from your amp you should adress the problem at the root, namely your amp - and not try to fix it with a pedal.

But of course ymmv.

• Members

Most people use them to boost, but I kind of use it backwards. I set up my lead sound without it, then use the pedal to dial in a slightly scooped, quieter rhythm tone. It's just another option to try, the possibilities are endless.

I've dne the same.

• Members

With my f&c's pedal, strat and fender amp, I usually bump the bass and treble, scooping the mids - it looks like a VERY soft U, and hit the overall boost slider a hair, played into the clean channel of a hot rod deluxe, or CLEAN and only channel of my twin.

I've found that I play with that pedal on all the time now and really like it.

• Members

With my f&c's pedal, strat and fender amp, I usually bump the bass and treble, scooping the mids - it looks like a VERY soft U, and hit the overall boost slider a hair, played into the clean channel of a hot rod deluxe, or CLEAN and only channel of my twin.

I've found that I play with that pedal on all the time now and really like it.

Thanks, wd. I'm gonna try that and report with a clip. :)

• Members

My amp had some harsh mids going on and a very limited tone stack that I have pretty much gutted, so I put an MXR 10 band eq in the effects loop. It's not the most elegant solution, but it works. cutting 250 -500 Hz and a milder cut at 1K quiets things down and makes the guitar sound more articulate. Sometimes I add a little boost 2K-4K for a little extra airiness.

Of course this is just me in my basement. I get the impression that in a band situation you might want those mids back, to not be completely washed out by the bass on the low end and cymbols high.

• Members

Not trying to hijack the thread, but I was curious, has anyone tried an EQ pedal with a Epiphone Valve Jr.? I don't have an electric amp at the moment and the Epi Valve Jr. is the best balance of tone and cost that I have come across so far, but the lack of tone controls is a deal killer. If anyone has tried it with an EQ, how did you like it?

• Members

I don't use mine often , but when I do , I like to lower them all, then raise them all one at a time , note where each one by itself seems to sound best, then raise all of them to the spots where they sounded best by themselves.

Really good suggestions here. Thanks, guys. i feel I might get much more out of that thing than if I had been guessing and clueless tweaking.

Archived