New Warmoth Assembly

Flatspotter

• Members

Flatspotter,

I love seeing the great, careful work you're doing and can't wait to see it finished. I think you handled the switch hole problem very well!

I can only see one major, obvious and serious flaw in your reasoning... you're rooting for the wrong team tonight!

:lol:
:wave:

Well, no one's perfect! Thank you for the kind words.

• Members

nice idea for a guitar. Last year i had something similar in mind(Warmoth Jr) but finances were tight so i never got to build it, instead i got a BYO guitar Jr kit. The main difference between yours and mine was i was thinking of putting a couple of P-Rails in there. I'd still like to do it, but maybe just have one bridge humbucker, something heavy like a Bareknuckle Nailbomb. I'll keep a watch of this thread, this thing will look great when it's done.

• Members

What did all the parts run you?

Keeping in mind that you don't go Warmoth to save money, the body, neck and hardware cost $1475. The pickups were an extra $320. The $1475 includes a $125 upcharge for matching transparent red finish on the back of the neck and peghead, and a $45 upcharge for picking the particular piece of pau ferro for the fretboard. Not all parts were bought from Warmoth; the tuners came from Sam Ash, the knobs came from Allparts, and the pickups came from Kinman.

• Members

Today, I got most of the control cavity wired. I still have to wire the pickups, the output jack, and the bridge ground. I got the jack plate mounted; it's a tiny bit crooked, in spite of my best efforts to get it straight. Oh well, no one's gonna see it!

I ran into another snafu. I had the output jack hole drilled to 3/4", but needed 7/8". You'd think Warmoth would know stuff like this and say, "Hey the jack you're using needs a 7/8" hole, not 3/4"." :rolleyes: Anyway, a little work with an X-acto knife on the hole, and a file on the jack, and it fits.

Tomorrow, I should be able to finish the wiring, and move on to the task I'm dreading the most: trying to mount the tuners straight! If anyone has any tips on this, I'm all ears!

LPScontrols.jpg

LPSpots.jpg

LPSjack.jpg

• Members

Today, I got most of the control cavity wired. I still have to wire the pickups, the output jack, and the bridge ground. I got the jack plate mounted; it's a tiny bit crooked, in spite of my best efforts to get it straight. Oh well, no one's gonna see it!

I ran into another snafu. I had the output jack hole drilled to 3/4", but needed 7/8". You'd think Warmoth would know stuff like this and say, "Hey the jack you're using needs a 7/8" hole, not 3/4"."
:rolleyes:
Anyway, a little work with an X-acto knife on the hole, and a file on the jack, and it fits.

Tomorrow, I should be able to finish the wiring, and move on to the task I'm dreading the most: trying to mount the tuners straight! If anyone has any tips on this, I'm all ears!

LPScontrols.jpg

No caps?

• Members

I made some good progress today. I finished wiring the control cavity, and a screwdriver tap test indicates everything is working on the first try! I also got the tuners mounted, and they're even straight! Getting them lined up was a royal pain in the ass.

I also ran into another small snag; the tuner holes had some finish in them, so I had to carefully ream them out with a drill bit. I didn't dare use a drill, so I wore a heavy leather work glove and worked the bit by hand.

Tomorrow, I marry the neck to the body. I hope this won't be too much of a nightmare.

LPScontrolsfinished.jpg

LPStunersfront.jpg

LPStunersback.jpg

• Members

OK, we're almost there! Today, I got the neck mounted without any drama and it's all strung up. I still need to drill the straplock holes (oops!), and the nut slots are way too high, so they need to be lowered a fair amount. I also need to finish adjusting the truss rod, and set the intonation.

I fired it up, and it sounds great! I'm really happy with it so far. Once I get it set up, I'll try to post some clips. Anyone have any suggestions as to where I can post them?

LPScouch.jpg

LPSbody1.jpg

LPSbody2.jpg

LPSbridge.jpg

LPSbodyback.jpg

Oh yeah, these go to 11!

LPSknobs.jpg

LPSpeghead2.jpg

LPSpegheadback.jpg

LPSfretboard4.jpg

LPSneckback.jpg

• Members

I don't wish to be the downer, and I hope your build ends up with you being fully satisfied, but I've just never been able to get behind Warmoth builds. I've seen and played Warmoth stuff and I've always felt that it was boring, 'mediocr-ily' made stuff. It's always makes me think that the person doing the build needs a touch more ambition with their project.

Now, with that asshole attitude out of the way (
;)
) it is your first build so good luck.

You have not played by Warmoth build, two music store employees preferred my Warmoth strat over the Suhr that was hanging on the wall!!!!! :)

• Members

OK, we're almost there! Today, I got the neck mounted without any drama and it's all strung up. I still need to drill the straplock holes (oops!),
and the nut slots are way too high
, so they need to be lowered a fair amount. I also need to finish adjusting the truss rod, and set the intonation.

I've ordered 4 necks from warmoth and this is one of the only things they seem to never get right. It's always too high. Still love all my warmoth necks. With just a tiny bit of nut filing and a bit of fretwork they are beautiful necks for a good price.

Archived