New Warmoth Assembly

Flatspotter

• Members

I got all the parts this week for my Warmoth assembly project. It's my first parts guitar, so wish me luck! I'm planning on starting tomorrow. I will post progress pics as I go.

Body: Les Paul Special, mahogany with (separate) carved mahogany top

Neck: Mahogany with pau ferro fretboard and 6105 stainless steel frets, SRV carve

Bridge: Gotoh 510 wraparound

Tuners: Schaller keystones

Controls: Master volume, master tone, 3-way toggle switch

Pickups: Kinman P-90 Hx noiseless P90s

Finish: Body and neck are finished in transparent red

The Kinmans are really deep; I hope they fit. I had Warmoth rout the pickup cavities an extra 1/4" deep. I hope that's enough!

LPSfront2.jpg

LPSfront.jpg

LPSback.jpg

LPSneck.jpg

LPSfretboard3.jpg

LPSfretboard2.jpg

LPSfretboard1.jpg

• Members

Looks like it is going to be sweet! I just finished my first build with my Strat about a month ago and couldn't be happier with the results! I can't see myself buying another one off the self! Already looking towards my next build! Either a hard tail strat or a tele!

• Members

I don't wish to be the downer, and I hope your build ends up with you being fully satisfied, but I've just never been able to get behind Warmoth builds. I've seen and played Warmoth stuff and I've always felt that it was boring, 'mediocr-ily' made stuff. It's always makes me think that the person doing the build needs a touch more ambition with their project.

Now, with that asshole attitude out of the way (;)) it is your first build so good luck.

• Members

Damn those are great looking parts!!!

I love the carve and the color. The neck and fretboard are outstanding as well. Being a bolt on, you'll be able to tweak this puppy to perfection. I'd love to see and hear when it's finished.

Best of luck with this project, you have a fantastic start so far. Just a tip, when you install pups and electronics, protect that gorgeous guitar body.

• Members

Good luck! I've always thrown around the idea of doing my own build, but I'm worried that its a crapshoot when it comes to the final tone. I'm really anal about things in general, so I guess I am stuck testing the off-the-rack stuff.

Let us know how close it gets.

• Members

Good luck! I've always thrown around the idea of doing my own build, but I'm worried that its a crapshoot when it comes to the final tone. I'm really anal about things in general, so I guess I am stuck testing the off-the-rack stuff.

Let us know how close it gets.

I took the plunge and put a Strat together for myself. There's definitely nothing mediocre about it. All the bits and pieces you want and none that you don't. As expensive or budget as you want. It's like having the Custom Shop make a guitar especially and uniquely for you.

Very easy to do as well. The real trick is the setup. Damn... I learned a lot about Stratocaster setups!

• Members

Cool. Keep us posted.

I keep kicking around the Warmoth build idea. For those who have done it, how are the necks/fretwork? Do they need to be leveled or are they good to go?

I remember someone saying that Warmoth does NOT dress frets. But, with that said I know two people who have Warmoth necks and I don't think they ever did any extra work on the neck, so unless they simply didn't bother I guess they felt they didn't need to.

The last place I bought a neck was at soulmateguitars.com and they dress frets, but they don't cut the headstock. You're supposed to do that custom yourself.

• Members

I'm picky and I love my Warmoth neck. The only adjustment that it needed was to remove the finish from the frets. High quality with a good variety of neck profiles and the 10/16 radius is a pleasure.

Congrats, that is sure going to be a beauty in more ways than one. :cool:

• Members

^Don't forget that each piece of shielding must be grounded to each other for it to have any effect (you may have already known this so please don't misconstrue my "help").

Thanks for the suggestion, and yes, I knew that. It will be easier to run a ground wire after the pickup wires are run through the channels, so that's why there aren't any ground wires yet.

• Members

I got the pickup mounting holes drilled and the pickups mounted today. I also got the ground wires for the pickup cavity shielding installed. One nice Warmoth touch: they rout the pickup cavities perpendicular to the strings, not to the back of the body, so the pickups are parallel to the strings on a guitar with an offset neck (like a Les Paul). Why don't all manufacturers do this? :confused:

I ran into a minor snag, too. The control cavity around the switch isn't routed quite deep enough, so the switch doesn't stick through the body as much as I'd like. This might be due to the fact that I am using one of Warmoth's pot locations for the switch (they wouldn't move the switch hole or drill it bigger). Fortunately, a forstner bit made quick work of that problem. I also had to ream out the pot hole to fit the switch.

I'd work on it some more tonight, but the Patriots are on Monday Night Football. :)

LPSpickupsmounted.jpg

This is the switch hole. You can see where I drilled the perimeter of the hole a little deeper.

LPSswitchdrill.jpg

• Members

I got the pickup mounting holes drilled and the pickups mounted today. I also got the ground wires for the pickup cavity shielding installed. One nice Warmoth touch: they rout the pickup cavities perpendicular to the strings, not to the back of the body, so the pickups are parallel to the strings on a guitar with an offset neck (like a Les Paul). Why don't all manufacturers do this?
:confused:

I ran into a minor snag, too. The control cavity around the switch isn't routed quite deep enough, so the switch doesn't stick through the body as much as I'd like. This might be due to the fact that I am using one of Warmoth's pot locations for the switch (they wouldn't move the switch hole or drill it bigger). Fortunately, a forstner bit make quick work of that problem. I also had to ream out the pot hole to fit the switch.

I'd work on it some more tonight, but the Patriots are on Monday Night Football.
:)

LPSpickupsmounted.jpg

This is the switch hole. You can see where I drilled the perimeter of the hole a little deeper.

LPSswitchdrill.jpg

Flatspotter,

I love seeing the great, careful work you're doing and can't wait to see it finished. I think you handled the switch hole problem very well!

I can only see one major, obvious and serious flaw in your reasoning... you're rooting for the wrong team tonight!

:lol:

:wave:

Archived