How to build a Billy Corgan replica...

zer0psi

• 4 years later...
  • Members

I know, old thread... regardless, here's my recently finished replica Bat Strat. More specifically, this is the post Siamese Dream "road worn" version of the Bat Strat that existed in the the brief time frame of December 1993 - Feb 1994 based on the paint wear and stickers (for all you super Pumpkins geeks). I started with a beat up early 90's Fender Stratocaster (unknown model specifics) that had been given to me in the early 90's and has been sitting in my parents house for over 20 years.

I repainted it, put copper foil shielding in all the internal cavities, purchased a '57 reissue single ply pick guard on Amazon for $8 (the original pick guard had a double humbucker in the bridge position), soldered in all new electronics and Lace Sensor pickups (Blue, Silver, Red). Rubbed the body with some steel wool for simulated paint wear and stuck on the stickers. It took a long time and lots of work getting the paint and lacquer right (I re-finished the headstock too), but total cost was under $300.

As a guy that grew up in the Chicago 'burbs playing music, I'd rather have a replica of the guitar that I saw Billy playing stage when I saw them live and touring on Siamese Dream. While I can appreciate the need to evolve and create new music (all due respect to Billy), this time period defined who the Smashing Pumpkins were for me and I personally consider it their career peak (musically). I figure I'd rather build my own Bat Strat as a homage to music and sound of Gish, Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie than plunk down $1300 for a Billy Corgan "signature model" that he barely used on the Oceania tour.

fetch?id=31682164&type=medium

The Lace Sensors absolutely scream and easily made this the best sounding guitar I've ever owned.

I have heard great things about the BC DiMarzio pickups and If I get inspired again I may consider finding a cheap Robert Cray hard tail Strat (bodies are dirt cheap on ebay) as a host for those. That would probably be a $500 project if I'm patient looking for parts.

• Members
I know' date=' old thread... regardless, here's my recently finished replica Bat Strat. . . .[/quote']

Cool looking guitar but, yeah, you might be better off starting a new thread. I thought about putting a set of Lace pickups in my bass at one time; other than that, I have no experience with them since I'm primarily an acoustic guy. Since you're new, welcome to the Forum. How about telling us a little about yourself?

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived