Your singing voice: Which artist does it most resemble?

• Moderators

Here the real questions:

1) Do you have a unique personal voice, or do you sound like some famous singer?

29 When you sound like somebody else, what dou think the world needs you for?

I sound like Elvis Costello trying to sound he was in Sly and the Family Stone and failing miserably... and ending up just sounding country funk like this...

[video=youtube;F2ZqbqBaq-g]

• Members

Universal sent a 16 year female singer to me for making two songs to demonstrate to the CEO melonheads that she is fabulous... now listen what happen

I make a first song with her by Whitney Huston, she sounded 99,99% like Whitney, everybody thought it's Whitney.

Then we tested some other songs, and she said that she can also sing Michael Bolton or Peter Cetera, so we started to rehears one song of each of this male artists, and she sounded 100% like Michael Bolton and Peter Cetera.

I was totally surprised had no clue what to do next, asked her what artist she can copy 100%, and she named about two dozen female and male artists, me now rtotally confused... I call Bruce and asked him if he ever experience the same with a singer, yes he did with a very famous R&B artist many years ago.

Then a third new song, no vocals in the pre-production demo, the piano plays the main melody, she appeares to the recording session and can't sing one note. Me again totally surprised, had to sit down and think for a few minutes and came to the conclusion that when she has no original to copy she can't learn a song. I discussed that with her and it was really that.

• Moderators

Universal sent a 16 year female singer to me for making two songs to demonstrate to the CEO melonheads that she is fabulous... now listen what happen

I make a first song with her by Whitney Huston, she sounded 99,99% like Whitney, everybody thought it's Whitney.

Then we tested some other songs, and she said that she can also sing Michael Bolton or Peter Cetera, so we started to rehears one song of each of this male artists, and she sounded 100% like Michael Bolton and Peter Cetera.

I was totally surprised had no clue what to do next, asked her what artist she can copy 100%, and she named about two dozen female and male artists, me now rtotally confused... I call Bruce and asked him if he ever experience the same with a singer, yes he did with a very famous R&B artist many years ago.

Then a third new song, no vocals in the pre-production demo, the piano plays the main melody, she appeares to the recording session and can't sing one note. Me again totally surprised, had to sit down and think for a few minutes and came to the conclusion that when she has no original to copy she can't learn a song. I discussed that with her and it was really that.

I've been through some of that. The way I've handled it is to become familiar with the various artists they copy. To learn their tool kit. Then help them sprinkle a bit of her, or him or them. To use those references as ingredients to varying degrees. The producer then is helping them bridge the gap from them copying... to them instead being influenced by a certain artist. Or preferably several artists. "Try that line like Bolton right there! Yeah, then come down into a whispy Whitney bit right there..."

• Members

No chance for a young singer who has this total unique copy talent to get signed.

I gave the production another chance, she sitting next to me, me on the piano, I wrote an erotcizing R&B love ballad for her, we rehearsed the melody in all arcticulative details for three hours, all of a sudden she had a voice of her own, or maybe I teached her a personal voice.

Recorded her, Bruce changed one too explicit lyric line and mixed it, I sent it to the record company, a few hours later a telephon: "Great great great, but the song is way too erotic". That was then the end of that.

• Moderators

I think that's actually not uncommon.

I wrote a male/female duet song, had the perfect guy in mind to sing it but was looking for the right girl. I mentioned this in passing at work, and, to my horror, my boss said, "My daughter sings really well at church, I'll give you her number." :eek:

So I had to humor him and give her a shot. I expected the worst but at least I'd get the guy tracks done. And his daughter was young and very pretty, so maybe the male artist would be inspired by her presence.

The reverse of what I expected happened. The girl was fabulous, just perfect for the song, the guy was.... lost. This seemed impossible as I'd mixed for his band many times and he had a big, George Strait style voice that just killed the young girls. :confused:

The girl nailed her parts in a couple of takes. The guy sang on key but there was no passion or feel, he sounded like a completely different person. I thought maybe he was one of those "copy the cover" guys like Angelo is referring to, but then I remembered him singing his band's original stuff just as well. WTF? :freak:

He seemed to not realize it wasn't working, so after way too many takes I told him thanks, great job, paid him and sent him home. Then I had the girl overdub all his parts. The result was pretty weird as the two parts were written for a guy and girl, both lyrically and melodically. I was out of time and sent it to the publisher who had requested it for one of his artists and, as expected, he also made the :freak: face and rejected it. :cry:

About a month later I was recording some demos for the bandleader of the same band disappointing dude fronted, took a risk and told him what happened with my project. He had a big laugh and seeing my confusion extended his laugh for a while. Finally, he said, "Let me hear your song."

I put up the tape and rolled it for him. He listened to it a couple of times, then picked up a guitar and sang it in his shaky, pitchy voice with tremendous passion and feel. When he finally put down the guitar and I could speak again, he explained. "I'm the songwriter in our band. I hired him because he has the million dollar voice, I don't. I just show him what to sing and he does it a thousand times better. Next time, don't skip the middle step, hire me first."

:facepalm:

Terry D.

• Members

I want to be me! I want to be me! I get annoyed when i hear myself sounding like i have a southern accent or trying too hard to be what i am not. I practice vocals, milking the vowels, posture, I have this high horse mindset that it is more important to deliver a feeling. I wrote and recorded this last night Don't listen, Please don't listen and comment i don't care what you think!

• Members

I want to be me! I want to be me! I get annoyed when i hear myself sounding like i have a southern accent or trying too hard to be what i am not. I practice vocals, milking the vowels, posture, I have this high horse mindset that it is more important to deliver a feeling. I wrote and recorded
this
last night Don't listen, Please don't listen and comment i don't care what you think!

I bet you don't ;)

• Members

I knew a drummer like this. He was amazing in his ability to emulate someone. A wonderful mimic. He could get down drum parts by practically any band. When he sang, he could get all the inflections down perfectly. Unfortunately, he couldn't do both at the same time. It was one or the other.

But when I wanted him to come up with parts for songs that I wrote, they were extremely generic. I could have programmed a drum machine to play more interesting parts than what he came up with.

Some people are great copiers, others are great creators. Most of us are somewhere inbetween. I lean more towards the creator side, although I highly respect people that can copy something to a 'T'.

• Members

We all start out by emulating others; I'll readily admit that I copied Eric Burdon quite a bit when I young. I'll also admit to borrowing from a bunch of others since. The thing is to throw all those influences into the blender and pour out a glass of your own style. It's something we learn to do and it takes work to recognize and develop a voice that is (somewhat) uniquely you.

Archived