Pickups for 335 style

chadd

• Members

Picked up an Epi dot studio for cheap at GC today and while it plays pretty well, the pickups aren't a good fit for me. They're pretty hot compared to my other guitars and I'd like to get something that matches up a little better.

My only other HB guitar is a LP with 57 classic and classic+. My inclination is to throw a pair of those in, but figured I would ask to see if there was something else I should check out.

Thanks for the help.

• Members

I have 57's in both my 335 and my 339. They sound terrific, but I'll bet there's something better out there for the same $$. I would spend some time on Seymour Duncan's website. Also, take a look at my co-favorite, TV Jones! Maybe a Powertron for the bridge. They are a bit pricey ($130), but maybe you could just do the bridge pickup with a TV and something cheaper in the neck.

• Members

Any clear PAF style would get you there imho. I personally like the 57s that Gibson put in 335s. Duncan 59s would also be an option. I love the set of seth lovers I had in a Hamer - I read about some of them being microphonic but my set was total solid.

• Members

Since it's a budget guitar, I wouldn't spend a whole lot on an upgrade. 57 Classics are great pickups, but Duncan 59s are a decent sounding lower priced PAF that would be a significant step up from stock for a bit less money.

I have a 59/JB combination in a Heritage 535 that sounds really good.

• Members

Picked up an Epi dot studio for cheap at GC today and while it plays pretty well, the pickups aren't a good fit for me. They're pretty hot compared to my other guitars and I'd like to get something that matches up a little better.

My only other HB guitar is a LP with 57 classic and classic+. My inclination is to throw a pair of those in, but figured I would ask to see if there was something else I should check out.

Thanks for the help.

That's what I would do, but I would not add the "+" to the bridge, just use a regular '57 Classic. Personal pref for personal tastes. You could also consider a set of Seth Lovers or a Burstbucker 1 & 2 combo. I'd be happy trying out either of those 3.

• Members

I tried a bunch of different sets and couldnt find the tone I was looking for. I think Gibsons would be the best choice if you want that stock 335 type sound. I was looking for a more liverpool tone. I finally found these gretch type sounding mini humbuckers that fit a full sized HB route. I just bought a secon set for another guitar. They do need to be potted though because they were fairly microphonic. Once I did that I was able to get some very cool tones happening.

• Members

If on a budget Tonerider Rocksongs ,Cheap price ,high quality and they sound great .They are Alnico II from memory .Worth fitting .I had my Dot SE wired up like a studio once and it all sounded fine .I just left two pots unwired .I later rewired everything and had it all working as per .Many people like Toneriders so dont be fooled into thinking they are just a generic Asian pickups named for customer ..

• Members

That's what I would do, but I would not add the "+" to the bridge, just use a regular '57 Classic. Personal pref for personal tastes. You could also consider a set of Seth Lovers or a Burstbucker 1 & 2 combo. I'd be happy trying out either of those 3.

Those would be my first, second and third choices... maybe throw in the Duncan Antiquities as a fourth option.

For something cheap, the GFS Alnico II set is pretty nice. I have Seth Lovers in one guitar and 57s in another but the guitar the GFS pickups are in is my favorite player. I was just out of two for a week and a half and the HB guitar I took with me was the Les Paul with the GFS pickups... that says a lot. Not saying they are the equals of the 57s or Lovers, but not at a terrible disadvantage. If it was a solid body, I'd suggest maybe going for the GFS. Since it's more work being a semi-hollow, I'd probably just go for whichever you think you actually will want to keep in there.

Personally, I think I'd get the Burstbucker 1 & 2 set, throw them in the Les Paul and move the 57s over to the Dot.

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I bought a Hofner Verythin that someone had put Lace Alumitone 'buckers into; rarely have I come across a combination that I truly DO NOT LIKE, but this was such a case.

I made the guitar and myself very happy by installing a set of Tonerider Alnico II Classics - low output, warm, clear tones - does not have a wide frequency range using 500K tone pots, though; pretty much a one-trick pony.

Sonically, the guitar does not compare badly to my 335 w/ 57 Classics.

Archived