Trying to decide between Mustang II and III. Help needed.

Jkater

• Members

I'm eager to push that "shopping cart" button but I'm hesitating between the II and III. The deciding point is simple: I need the amp to sound good at very low volume while I wouldn't mind the 100W of the Mustang III for some venue (and the fact that it's a nicer amp and has a few more stuff) but if the III sounds weak at very low volume because maybe the speaker isn't driven properly or whatever, then it's a no-go.

Experienced mustang users, what do you think?

Thank you for the help.

• Members

I have the 3, the 3 sounds good even at bedroom volumes.... the "does it sound like horse{censored} at low volumes" rule really only applies to tube amps.

Not all watts are created equal..... a "100 watt" Solid State Mustang 3 has approx the same power as a 15 watt "tube" Fender Blues Junior.

The Mustang II at 40 Solid State watts doesn't have even 1/3rd the headroom of a 15 watt Blues Junior

An interesting side note: Leo Fender started as a radio repair shop. When he designed all the Fender tweed amps, the power supplies were too small, so they had a weird distortion when pushed hard because they

• Members

I haven't A/B'd them in the flesh, but my understanding is that the III also has a noticeably better sounding speaker. :idk:

I'd probably get the III.

I have the Mustang I which met my expectations, but I actually wish I'd gone higher up the ladder.

I bought it because I wanted a 100% solid state amp for pickin and surfin (i.e. mulit-taskin between playing and this type of time warping) and I don't want to have to worry about tubes burning away while I ADD off into cyber-world. But the MI starts to fall apart sound-wise if I get it too loud, so I would like to have at least gotten the II for more solid headroom.

• Members

Get the III. It's become the only amp I turn on since I got it. I have the software installed and looked at it a couple of times, but anything I want to do can be done right on the amp. And it sounds great at any volume I've run it at. Fantastic $300 SS amp.

• Members

I have the II, but after just three weeks I already think Fuse is a pain. I need to plug the amp into my laptop every time to just add some Fuzz or something. It's just not worth it.

Go with the III, definitely. I wish I had.

??????????????????????????????????????????

• Members

Jman,

I have had both the II and the III. I now only have the III after returning the II for it.

The III sounds better to me all the way around. Better speaker, open back, etc. Another

plus is that you can get into the deep editing from the amp itself without having to

resort to Fender Fuse. That makes it so much easier to gig with.

You gig, so you will know that there are always changes to be made from home presets

to gig presets and from gig venue to gig venue for that matter. I dig the III and have

been gigging with it over my tube amps for the last month.

The guy that answered the question saying the III is roughly the same volume as a

15 watt Fender tube amp is totally crazy. I absolutely buried a Peavy Classic 30 last

week at practice. You couldn't hear it over the MustangIII at the volumes we were

playing at. Everyone had to turn down for him, including the drummer!

Gary

• Members

M III is an incredible amp for its price and the Celestion G12-100 is a very good speaker.

Breakup on settings like 'Bassman' are good at any volume

it really does a good job at the full, throaty tone.

The only thing I've found tricky is the settings and, in 99 choices...I can get lost real quick.

• Members

The guy that answered the question saying the III is roughly the same volume as a

15 watt Fender tube amp is totally crazy. I absolutely buried a Peavy Classic 30 last

week at practice. You couldn't hear it over the MustangIII at the volumes we were

Gary

Must have been something wrong with the C30 if you couldn't even hear it over a 100SS amp, and he was being drowned by the drummer. An 18 watt clone through a G12H will sit quite happily (if dirtily) alongside all but the loudest drummers.

• Members

Gary

Gary, then that Peavey Classic 30 had issues.....

I stand by the fact that a 100 watt Solid State (any make/any model) has roughly the same head space/ total decibel capacity as a 15 to 20 watt tube amp.

I also stand by the opinion that no 100 watt Solid State (any make/any model) can match the output of a properly functioning, 30 watt tube amp that is dimed out.

Having said that..... I do not wish to get into a "my dad can beat your dad's ass" match about which amp is louder....

LOUDER VERY RARELY equals better.

I have the Mustang III- and I love it.

• Members

Aren't watts watts no matter what type of equipment produces it?

It seems not, in some ways. I have heard in so many places that tube amps are louder for the same "watts" than SS, that there must be truth in it. What's debatable until the cows come home is by how much. But it's moot. Gary, who knows his stuff, has experienced this differently than others who also know their stuff (who knows how much a particular room brings something to the equation?). Dr.Scottie's excellent post says it best for me.

• Members

Gary, then that Peavey Classic 30 had issues.....

I stand by the fact that a 100 watt Solid State (any make/any model) has roughly the same head space/ total decibel capacity as a 15 to 20 watt tube amp.

Having built some tube amps, and worked on a bunch... I agree. Sadly, I don't know WHY, but I will say that a properly maintained 30-40w tube is as loud or louder then any 100w SS amp I've ever played.

The other thing I've noticed about SS amps, and admittedly the only one I actually tried this with was a Line 6, is they don't seem cut through in a live band situation with a couple of guitars/bass and drums. They get loud, you can feel them, but they just sort of sit in the mix as volume and not as an individual instrument. Hard to explain, but that's what I heard.

The one time I used my MII at a practice though, it did NOT have this problem. So I don't know if that's something that was specific to the Line 6 I used (a spider 6), or the room, or we rehearsed at a reasonable volume, or :idk:.

• Members

It seems not, in some ways. I have heard in so many places that tube amps are louder for the same "watts" than SS, that there must be truth in it. What's debatable until the cows come home is by how much. But it's moot. Gary, who knows his stuff, has experienced this differently than others who also know their stuff (who knows how much a particular room brings something to the equation?). Dr.Scottie's excellent post says it best for me.

Thanks buddy.

I had thought watts were some kind of standard measurement for power output but there must be a reason why tube amps get so dang loud, so I best leave it to the experts.

:thu:

• Members

Looking forward to the clips Richard

I read an article once that talked about why there is a volume difference when the power appears to be similar but I can't find it right now. I did have a AD30 (30watt) which could barely keep up with a drummer and Mesa 15 watt that had no trouble. Some of that is due to speaker and speaker efficiency (10 vs 12") but not all. I believe my TA15 on the 5 watt setting is nearly as loud (maybe louder in certain configurations) than the AD30 was :idk:

Archived