It's baaa-aack! And it's beautiful. SG Standard Sunburst.

GAS Man

• Members

Now this tint may be a bit darker ("Vintage") than the older brown sunbursts, but I still think it's major cool that a vintage brown burst is now available as a choice instead of the constant fare of ebony, HC, and silverbursts.

127111483-body-l.jpg

127111483-front-l.jpg

127111483-detail1-l.jpg

127111483-detail4-l.jpg

127111483-detail5-l.jpg

127111483-case-l.jpg

Gibson SG Standard Features:

Handcrafted in Nashville, TN

Thin, lightweight bevelled mahogany body

Full-size "Batwing" SG pickguard

Genuine mahogany neck (with comfortable SG Taper)

Baked Maple fingerboard with Trapezoid Inlays

Chrome hardware; Vintage tuners

Gibson 490R/498T Alnico II Humbuckers

Gibson Hardshell Case included

The Gibson SG Standard is a rock legend!

Specification Detail

Body Material Mahogany

Top Material No separate top

Body Finish Nitrocellulose

Color Vintage Sunburst

Neck Material Mahogany, Set

Neck Shape SG Taper

Scale Length 24.75"

Fingerboard Material Baked Maple, 12" Radius :confused:

Fingerboard Inlay Acrylic Trapezoids

Number of Frets 22

Nut Width 1-11/16"

Bridge/Tailpiece Tune-O-Matic/Stop Bar

Tuners Vintage tuners

Number of Pickups 2

Neck Pickup 490R Alnico II Humbucker

Middle Pickup No Middle Pickup

Bridge Pickup 498T Alnico V Humbucker

Controls 2 x volume, 2 x tone; 3-way pickup selector toggle

Case Included Hardshell

I just bought a MM 2xP90 with a baked maple fb, so we shall see. But I think it's a bit odd to find that one an SG Std. But not necessarily cause for alarm.

• Members

A pity they didn't burst the back. Oh well, it's nice. Love a good burst.

Guys, I have a Gibson baked maple board. Don't fear the maple! That {censored} is hard as a rock. Mine is seven months old now and still not a mark on it. Slick as glass, too.

I'd go so far as to say it's the best board I own.

EG

• Members
A pity they didn't burst the back. Oh well, it's nice. Love a good burst.

Guys, I have a Gibson baked maple board. Don't fear the maple! That {censored} is hard as a rock. Mine is seven months old now and still not a mark on it. Slick as glass, too.

I'd go so far as to say it's the best board I own.

EG

Agree on the back - and -

My MM 2xP90 arrived today with its baked maple fb, mmmmmmmmm-good!

This is the time of year for baked squash, baked apples and of course, "baked maple".

And yes, it does taste good too. I had to lick it after I saw that it was the color of brown sugar with a similar type of iridescence to it. :p

126510613-body-l.jpg

I gotta take my own pics of it soon, cuz as usual the SW pics are a bit lighter than actual. It looks pretty close to rosewood but a bit more "golden" hue to it.

I saw on the enclosed tag that mine just came out of the oven on October 5th! So it is indeed oven fresh!

So I also realized that this guitar is also post apocalyptic, i.e after the Great Gibson Raid of August 24th. So naturally with all their fretboards in the hands of the Federal Agents, playing paddle-ass with each other as they ran down the road with Henry's boards, and the folks from the Fish & Wildlife trying to figure out how to turn them into fly rods, (all in order to preserve the finish work in the petite little hands of our Hindu brethren) the good folks at Gibson turned to smoking up some maple in order to survive the coming winter.

I can't wait to be a grandpappy and tell the youngins about how this guitar represents the troubled time in history when the Federalis swooped down and raided the good wood whittling folks at Nashville and Memphis.

Viva la resistance! Until then, let them eat baked maple! :D

Archived