Let's talk about reverb, will you?

temnov

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I mean the fact that it's not part of a self-contained, automated (latency free) ITB mix that you can boot up all at once...

I'm pretty sure most of those reverbs can do a sys ex dump, so you can just play that back from a MIDI channel and have your preset ready to go.

• Members

One more question:

Do you like to use your reverb as a send or you use it as insert as well? Or no rules?

I was trying to find the right room for snare. I used 2016 Eventide plugin on send and didn't like it. The sound was weak and not well articulated. Then I created a copy of my snare track, put 2016 there as insert, blended it with original track and yes, the sound was exactly how I wanted it to be.

No rules. But my default mixing strategy is using a similar reverb lightly/shorter as an insert on tracks I want to 'position' differently in the mix, and then send most tracks to make them all appear in the same room.

• Members

Hmm...I strongly disagree. I have the Lexicon PCM Native bundle and I think it sounds fantastic. It's about all I use for reverb these days. Another reverb I really like is the Rev-X built into the Yamaha N series digital consoles.

A freeware reverb I used a lot is the epicVerb by
. Pretty slick thing for the price!

epicVerb is nice. I use lots of Variety of Sound for compressions as well.

• Members

Bricasti IRs:

http://www.samplicity.com/bricasti-m7-impulse-responses/

Quad waves are incredible!

I compared them side by side with my M7 - it's very close.

By the way one of Nebula designers is working on new library along with Bricasti themselves.

You can hear it on most of his recordings, it's the lush gorgeous stupidly beautiful one that makes you pee.

I went to a seminar with him and he pointed it out in various spots.

Roomjello, I was asking where you heard Al talking about it and you answered :) Of course I've heard his works and about his technique but never in person. That should be very cool!

• Members

The easiest way to get a realistic reverb sound is to put up room mics in ANY room. It doesn't have to be a great room. Then add an appropriate reverb in the background. The combination of real reflections coupled with a generated tail works every time for me.

This would be a good one for that DAW tip thread that went by.

• Members

The easiest way to get a realistic reverb sound is to put up room mics in ANY room. It doesn't have to be a great room. Then add an appropriate reverb in the background. The combination of real reflections coupled with a generated tail works every time for me.

Yup.

I use more distance micing and room mics than I did with analog to put more sense of space and depth back in to the recordings, and the above works quite well. If you really want more of the real room to appear or to exaggerate it, you can also use some compression on the track with a room mic and adjust to taste, and then add a bit of hardware or plugin reverb as needed.

• Members

The #4 chamber at Capitol studios is the nicest reverb in the world.

Apparently the Bricasti is the next best thing. I have neither. But i'm going to build a real chamber in my new studio. After hearing Al Schmitt's examples and uses of chambers, i now realize how great real chambers are.

There's Boxes and plugs, and then there are real spaces. The more i do this the more i want the real stuff to satisfy my ears.

Hell yeah. Where's the "like" button?

• Members

Hmm...I strongly disagree. I have the Lexicon PCM Native bundle and I think it sounds fantastic. It's about all I use for reverb these days. Another reverb I really like is the Rev-X built into the Yamaha N series digital consoles.

You certainly have every right to disagree and I'm happy it's working for you, but as a long time Lexicon fan from the early days... using their stuff before I could afford any of it for myself I cannot recommend these plugs in good conscience. I wish I could just as I wish I could believe in this digital fairyland that everyone has bought into, but I cannot. It may sound ok for many people, but it's not Lexicon. The only thing Lexicon about these plugs is the brand name.

Of course most people are fine with it and I'm in the minority, but my standards have always been high and that will never change even if I'm the last man standing. I have a fundamental issue with the toy-like nature of contemporary music and the direction the industry has taken to make it all happen. I don't believe in it. It's not real. I have not auditioned a plug yet that has that certain something that even my budget outboard processors have. But, if it

• Members

You certainly have every right to disagree and I'm happy it's working for you, but as a long time Lexicon fan from the early days... using their stuff before I could afford any of it for myself I cannot recommend these plugs in good conscience. I wish I could just as I wish I could believe in this digital fairyland that everyone has bought into, but I cannot. It may sound ok for many people, but it's not Lexicon. The only thing Lexicon about these plugs is the brand name.

Of course most people are fine with it and I'm in the minority, but my standards have always been high and that will never change even if I'm the last man standing. I have a fundamental issue with the toy-like nature of contemporary music and the direction the industry has taken to make it all happen. I don't believe in it. It's not real. I have not auditioned a plug yet that has that certain something that even my budget outboard processors have. But, if it

• Members

Hmm...I strongly disagree. I have the Lexicon PCM Native bundle and I think it sounds fantastic.

that sounds like the one to get, as long as the user can get over their allergy to high priced plugs

(in addition to a good convolution verb and maybe Oxford)

• Moderators

Oh... I almost forgot, Ii use Over Loud's Breverb plate setting a lot as well. Very, very smooth. And while it doesn't hold up to some IRs of nice plates, sometimes toward the end of a mix I find need a alternate character reverb. It's low CPU overhead makes it perfect to slap on an insert as a last minute polisher of one final mix element.

Even sounds great at very tight plate settings which can be fun.

• Members

you realize you're comparing software with software.. the dedicated reverb box being a computer with reverb software running in it, the plugin being a computer with reverb software running in it

i AGREE that many digital production tools are toylike compared to their analog precursors.

but taking a stance against plugins as a matter of principal while embracing reverb software in outboard gear makes no sense
:idk:

Ummm... yeah (For Christ sakes). Sorry, but I

• Members

Beck and Jello, I'm with you on this and I think Beck gave one of the best covering of the topic.

if one just listens and compares.

Don't forget though that is not easy for many people. They have no idea how to listen and how to compare, because all they know are plugins. They maybe never worked with hardware but they are good musicians nevertheless.

• Members

Don't forget though that is not easy for many people. The have no idea
how to listen
and
how to compare
, because all they know are plugins.
They maybe never worked with hardware but they are good musicians nevertheless.

I hope that wasn't directed at me, though ;) I started recording in state of the art studio's well over four decades ago and have been in the music industry as a professional, ever since. I'm pretty sure I've worked with just about every possible hardware, including using natural rooms and artificial reverb units, under the sun :D

• Members

I hope that wasn't directed at me, though
;)
I started recording in state of the art studio's well over four decades ago and have been in the music industry as a professional, ever since. I'm pretty sure I've worked with just about every possible hardware, including using natural rooms and artificial reverb units, under the sun
:D

I doubt it was pointed at anyone.

We all need to keep in mind that the ear is easily fooled and these things are releative.

There is no proper perspective if you dont compare for yourself.

Software sales people count on you not comparing along with this huge mass of folks desperate to convince themselves the software is as good so they dont have to face the cost of real gear. But its just a silly form of self deception if you want the best quality. If the software is good enough for ones needs then there is no argument. But it isnt as good, thats just the truth.

• Members

It's all about diminishing returns and vanishing points, not absolutes. So what if there's an analog path in a digital outboard reverb? Is that really the big difference between different reverbs, the analog components that get the signal in and out of it? What if I hit a digital outboard reverb via its digital path? All the analog is taken out of the line, all of the AD/DA conversion is taken out of the line, and you're left with what... digital reverb algorithms, and the increased likelihood of clocking problems? So is routing digitally inferior to using the analog front end and AD/DA of the hardware unit? Because the analog components of an external digital reverb sound so good that you actually want to degrade your signal by passing through them on purpose? This all sounds fishy to me.

• Members

It wasn't Rekel
:)

I was talking from own experience working with people who never had a hardware reverb, just plugins.

No problem, temnov ;) And I see your point. I probably should have addressed my comment to Beck's reply to me.

Archived