Let's talk about reverb, will you?

temnov

• Members

Yup. But I also believe "art is enamored of chance," and that inspires me. A lot of times I'll just plug in something to see what happens. I do have some faves for particular instruments and I'll often start there, but not always. Many times choosing the "wrong" gear ended up producing the "right" results, or took me in a better direction than I was going originally. Keeps me on my toes.

Definitely!

You know, when I was using a board (sob!! I use a DAW now! I don't have the room anymore!), I'd do a mix, and then I'd throw up another tape and keep all the same fader, EQ, and effects sends from the other one, just to see what would happen. Sometimes it would be nuts. Sometimes it'd sound like poop. But sometimes....it'd be *magic*. Maybe a tweak here or there, but I'd keep the magic. The "wrong" mix. So good. And same thing with the wrong gear. Throw up a crappy microphone. Well, there's no such thing as a crappy microphone, only a crappy application, right? Throw up some crazy effects, put funny pedals on your mix, use a stereo phono input as your guitar amp (feedback for days!!), use a crappy electric guitar for a guitar part, whatever.

Just whatever inspires you. Sometimes it's just a really cool keyboard, guitar, or piece of gear. And sometimes, it's what you're describing. It's all about keeping inspired and fresh.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Okay. Well, I have to say Temnov put one over on ALL of you. All those examples were different MIDIverb II presets.

You know the part I said earlier about not caring whether I had the right or wrong guess? If it were a MIDIverb II preset...I'd care. :D

I refrained from saying anything because I knew which was which, but to me, the one that sounded most like a physical plate was (3). But the one I would most likely use on a track was (4), because I thought it had an understated quality that sounded like it was part of the drums, rather than being layered on top. I felt (2) would definitely be best for dance music as its more "neutral" quality would work well with complex synth sounds. (1) to me is a "character" reverb to get a specific sound not commonly found with other verbs.

Anyway, here's the roster:

1 UAD Lexicon 224 plug-in

2 Lexicon PCM Native vintage plate plug-in

3 Bricasti M7 snare plate v2

4 Nebula EMT 140

5 Reverence Bricasti snare plate A IR

Funny! I used to use Lexicon all the time, and so it's funny that I didn't care for 1 or 2 as much, although as I said, it was all good and usable if you tweaked 'em a little.

I ended up liking 4 after listening to it through monitors because it had that understated but really nice quality, and I could definitely see applying that because it might sit well in the mix. Or one could use 3 and back off on it a little, which is what I was thinking when i heard 3, which had a longer tail and was louder than I would ordinarily do, but since we were only evaluating reverb, I didn't pay that any mind. I just thought it sounded good.

Dammit.

Dammit.

Why do I have such expensive tastes all the time?????

This seems to be across the board. Food, wine, musical instruments, recording gear, cameras and lens.....always expensive tastes.

I say this because I liked number 5, which I think was my second choice. So two Bricasti votes.

Dammit.

• Members

This has given me an idea for a possibly fun follow-up. Next time I have a fairly neutral track up, like voice or drum machine, I could put on different reverb plugs and try to adjust them to most accurately convey their "character." The object wouldn't be to arrive at a conclusion as to which was better, but to arrive at a conclusion as to the likely usefulness for different sources.

I'm always game for stuff like this.

• Members

When I listened to the examples I decided to write down the first word that came to mind......for each example. The words are not particularly scientific or even well chosen...but what came to mind......and mainly have to do with what happened to the sound of the original drums, especially the kick...other than #2 which kinda had this awful high freq thing I did not like. The ring in the snare was putting me off though.

I actually thought I posted this earlier but I cannot find it.

1. Muddy- UAD Lexicon 224

2. Sizzly-Lexicon PCM Native

3. Woolly-Bricasti M7

4. Defined-Nebula EMT 140

5. Boomy-Reverence Bricasti

Anyway...that was kinda fun.

So what is this Nebula EMT 140..

I have no idea......so many things come up...the one you said, Acoustica.....Hispasonics.....

• Members

This has given me an idea for a possibly fun follow-up.

Hey Craig...... how about you put up a generic and neutral sounding drum track as a high res download? We grab it and throw the stereo track up in our DAW's and put OUR favorite reverb(s) on it, using our tweaking techniques. You choose the type...Hall, Room, Plate etc. Maybe Plate would be best since it was just the topic of the last effort.

We then send the "wet" track(s) back to you with a rundown on what DAW and reverb plug was used. Personally I would think no other processing allowed. Only reverb and how we tweak that plug in only. No mastering software, additional EQ, compression etc. So it's not about mix ability and doing the trick stuff you talked about. Purely and simply about how certain plug in reverbs sound or can sound when their pre-set's are tweaked.

That's as far as I have thought it through. Of course..... it's just an idea......you would set the final rules.

So as they start coming in, maybe you put up the effected tracks we return in a thread, without saying which member it is maybe..... and of course what he/she used. Just to reduce the possibility of skewed responses. We listen and vote our choices and at some point you pick the most popular (or all) and say what was used and what DAW.

Since most have more than one reverb, multiple entries allowed perhaps? Maybe the multiples could be sent back as a single stereo file, with the however many examples separated by a couple seconds or so...kinda as you did with the last one.

It's great 'cos there would be no emphasis on mix ability etc or songwriting, composition etc. All it is is the same pre mixed and dry drum track for everybody and all we do is add the reverb(s) we use and like........ mix those to taste, tweak the reverb settings to taste......and send it back.

Just a thought. What do ya reckon?

• Members

You know the part I said earlier about not caring whether I had the right or wrong guess? If it were a MIDIverb II preset...I'd care.
:D

You're clearly not a member of the "preset #23" club. That MIDIverb II preset got an incredible amount of mileage from quite a few people, myself included. On one CD I alternated between Lexicon and preset #23 reverb on the tracks, and EVERYONE thought preset #23 HAD to be the Lexicon because it sounded so much better. Seriously!

I ran into quite a few people with MIDIverb IIs. The conversation usually ended up with "Yeah, well, it's not that great but hey, what about that preset #23?"

Disclaimer: Been awhile since I used a MIDIverb II, so I'm not 100% sure it was #23, it might have been #24. But I'm reasonably certain...

• Members
I liked the sound of what I already use... convenient.

Philter, you stuff sounds very cool. You are set :)

I liked Huh?'s and Craig's idea. I'll be up to this test.

Before this thread I spent couple of days going through all my reverbs, I made like 14 different comparative tests just to get better understanding of what and where I could use on this or that. And Bricasti was great but sometimes I preferred IR or algo plugin. All depends.

Now, here is Nebula Acustica with VNXT I used for the test:

http://www.acustica-audio.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=11&Itemid=123

http://vnxtsound.blogspot.com/

It's a plugin and very good one. One warning though. It's one very CPU-hungry beast. But cheap :)

Again, if you use IR reverb grab Samplicity Bricasti Impulse Response files, you won't be disappointed.

• Members
Anyway, here's the roster:

1 UAD Lexicon 224 plug-in

2 Lexicon PCM Native vintage plate plug-in

3 Bricasti M7 snare plate v2

4 Nebula EMT 140

5 Reverence Bricasti snare plate A IR

Uad verb is hardware based ;)
Glad i didn't waste 5 grand on a Briscasti. I heard one in the studio once and it didn't overly impress me.

• Members

Comparisons often reduce the amount of posts, don't they?

I've been busy looking into replacing my UAD 1 with the 2 so i can get that sweet verb!

Chances are the 480 will be out next and i'd dig a version of the 240 which i will never find in hardware, likewise with the 480 as i'd never pay the current price for those units.

I do like UAD stuff more than almost anything other than a few waves plugs. Those being the API series and CLA comps. H-delay is sweet too.

Archived