I'm quitting one of my band. Gotta tell them tomorrow at practice...

Jkater

• Members

If you broke free and you're all still friends then you done real good. GJ.

Time heals all.

PBS aired a Steve Winwood & Eric Clapton concert some months ago and in the commentary edited in between songs, Clapton said that Steve had been angry for a long time after Clapton left Blind Faith.

Clapton's leaving Blind Faith was its demise, for sure, but it was the right decision for him (even if, to me, that was the last time that Clapton seemed to have an truly artistic aspirations). And it was probably better for Steve, as well. But it sure didn't seem so at the time.

In any regard, that is behind them now, and someday any ill feelings between you and your fellow mates will behind all of you, as well.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Foreigners know English the best. It's a fact of life.

I think some of them sound overly "correct" (learned it in school) but they lack the proficiency and sure-footedness (word?) that a native speaker, even an illitterate one, possess. So i beg to differ.

• Members
Just told them a couple of hours ago. I do feel like an a**h*** although it was the right thing for me. I'm sad for the two friends who were left with this news and the keyboard player, a very nice lady, took it hard. But they'll be OK, of course, and will re-arrange themselves and the songs.

Not a pleasant thing to do but I got through it.

Glad it worked out well.
:thu:

• Members

So I have a question that may well be irrelevant but...

Since all of the proceeds from the bands gigs went into a pool to buy equipment for said band, who's going to end up owning that equipment? I'n asking because I doubt that I'd agree to a financial arrangement that had me helping to finance someone else's dream (Oops.. I mean business!) and in the end walking away empty handed.

• Members

If you can add 'ly' to either of those words then you have the 'sometimes Y' thing covered as well.

AS for this:

some of the F'd up signs that I've seen photographed in other countries for the English speaking tourists would throw that statement in the wood chipper quite quickly.

• Members

I've quit a few bands. One of them had pooled "band funds" from gigs to buy the PA system (about $3k). When I left the band was still together. 4 months later they split up and the one guy who physically had the PA gear sold it and distributed the cash to all the members, myself included. (helped being friends with the guys and leaving on good terms)

If the band stays together, you could ask the members to buy out your share.

In future bands, you could each own a piece of the gear, though it gets tricky if something breaks.

Money between band members is never easy. Singers get off with only buying a microphone, if that. Someone has to front the PA system and if that breaks, they are SOL.

Good luck with however the money part turns out, and in your future endevors.

• Members

I think some of them sound overly "correct" (learned it in school) but they lack the proficiency and sure-footedness (word?) that a native speaker, even an illitterate one, possess. So i beg to differ.

Yeah, like they are very 'stiff' when it comes to english. I think a better term may be 'proper'. My german cousins are very proper with their english.

To-ron-to as opposed to Turronno for them.

even still. I admire people who fluently speak many languages. I felt so bad attending a German highschool, only to have the French teacher there ask me why I didn't know Canada's second language, while all the german kids could speak french.

• Members

My "second" language if we are talking chronogically is haitian creole. I worked in Haiti for three years when I was young and very able to learn quickly whatever I endeavoured. I did it with a passion and became unusually good at it. It's been 30 years now and it's rusty but would get back to the forefront of my mind if I was put back into the country. At that point english was just a language learned by singing beatles song and whatever you learn in school... In '88, I moved to Calgary and lived there nine years speaking only english and that's when I learned it. Since '96 I live and work in germany but I was no longer excited about learning languages and my German is just good enough for living and working and going through the days. Still speak english with the wife (when we're on speaking terms...) I speak french and german with my kids so they are bilingual with the oldest being fluently trilingual.

• Members

Weren't you complaining about stereotypes the other day?

Speaking of which, I've found Koreans' love-hate relationship with English to be amusing. On the one hand, the whole country is obsessed with learning it, whether that means importing native speaker teachers or sending the kids to live in the US, England, Canada, Australia or, if you're really slumming it, the Philippines. On the other hand, they are convinced that native speakers don't have a clue.

Archived