A 'Which 1st Electric Guitar' thread - what's your advice?

FoonkySteve

• Members

... or a used MIM.

(EDIT: sorry ... missed the bit of your OP which ruled out used stuff!)

Mind you (1), some of the Classic Vibes ARE impressive ... Marc (aka MHUK) plays a Squier Classic Vibe bass with Crosstown Lightnin' and it's an EXCELLENT instrument.

(Mind you (2), ANYTHING Marc plays sounds like an excellent instrument ...)

• Members

The pacifica 112 has H/S/S which gives more options in terms of sound. Especiall if down the line he might want to play some higher gain stuff, the humbucker will handle it a bit better than singles. That said, he might prefer a squier. Or perhaps an epiphone model? They have fairly decent models for starters and midrangers.

• Members

I just bought a Squier mini strat on saturday and have been playing the crap out of it since- cant put it down!! :thu:

Ive been playing it through my cube 30 and using my ME-70 for footswitchable effects, but in the store I tried it through a cube 20xl and it sounded just as good :rawk:

The only thing Im not fond of on it is the nut width, but that said its a standard squier nut width (ie, the same as on my hello kitty strat and telecustom II) and has nothing to do with it being a 3/4 sized guitar. So yeah, im loving this thing at the moment, really fun and just inspires me to pick it up. I might even gig with it at on the weekend (if my bandmates left me :lol:) so I can definitely recommend one, as well as the cube 20xl :thu:

• Members
I just bought a Squier mini strat on saturday and have been playing the crap out of it since- cant put it down!!
:thu:

Ive been playing it through my cube 30 and using my ME-70 for footswitchable effects, but in the store I tried it through a cube 20xl and it sounded just as good
:rawk:

The only thing Im not fond of on it is the nut width, but that said its a standard squier nut width (ie, the same as on my hello kitty strat and telecustom II) and has nothing to do with it being a 3/4 sized guitar. So yeah, im loving this thing at the moment, really fun and just inspires me to pick it up. I might even gig with it at on the weekend (if my bandmates left me
:lol:
) so I can definitely recommend one, as well as the cube 20xl

Hmmm..... Cube 20xl you say??? That would bring the amp budget down a little to allow room for a CVC!

thanks for all the input guys! :thu: Plenty for me to think about, i just want to make sure this guy gets a good quality set up for the money.

• Members

So questions raised from your kind responses.

How much difference are we talking in terms of quality between the squier Standard and CVC lines? Also compared to the Pacifica too?

Is the Mustang 2 the right amp? Vs a Cube20xl? Im thinking although the Mustang 2 is a little more expensive, i think the 12" speaker over the Cubes 8" will provide a little more depth/beef and the 40w vs the cubes 20w im thinking the mustang 2 is the better bet for the

• Members

I think your advice is right on and the kid is lucky to have a teacher like you!

For the extras,
throw in a tuner
and call it done.

Absolutely!

Okay, forget the beers ... he can buy 'em himself in a few years' time.

• Members
So questions raised from your kind responses.

How much difference are we talking in terms of quality between the squier Standard and CVC lines? Also compared to the Pacifica too?

Is the Mustang 2 the right amp? Vs a Cube20xl? Im thinking although the Mustang 2 is a little more expensive, i think the 12" speaker over the Cubes 8" will provide a little more depth/beef and the 40w vs the cubes 20w im thinking the mustang 2 is the better bet for the

• Members
Not too keen on the mini strat eh? :poke:

Im pretty sure that GASman (please correct me if Im wrong) enjoys playing his high end Gibsons and Fenders through his cube 20xl, maybe he can chime in? Im a fan anyway, theyre my go to amp in stores for trying out guitars

It has an inbuilt tuner too....

HaHa, no probs with the mini-strat, we actually have one in the house for our youngster although it does get neglected :( (-the strat that is, don't go calling child services!)

I think this particular Kid's 1st electric should be full size, he is 14 and has been learning on a full size jumbo acoustic for a year, so wouldn't want the change to be too radical for him.

Thanks for all the advice though. I think i'll forward the info for option 'A' to the parents (Pacifica 112, Mustang 2, accessories), and maybe an option 'B' too (CVC Strat, Cube 20xl, less accessories). Im under the impression they want to keep it a surprise for thier son, but he migh even get the final say if ofer them 2 options? Win/Win/Win :thu:

Big Thanks Y'all! All in a days work for HCEG forumites eh?

• Members

For the tuner, get a Snark.. $25 and they're very cool.

For the guitar, I'd go with the Yamaha and the Mustang 2. I've played one of those CV Squiers and I wasn't impressed in the least. When I was amp shopping, the Mustang 2 was at the top of my list for quite a while. Any kid coming from an acoustic would LOVE that rig. For the cable, get whatever you can find for $25-30 with a lifetime warranty. I have a couple of those Monster Standard 100s that have served me very well, and they're less than $20.

• Members

i would stick with something with HB at lest in the bridge.. its a bit more easy to cope with.. single coils are great but.. they are not as easy to play as a good HB..
my first guitar was an Electra single HB.. standard trem bridge.. still got it...
im not sure i would have found a strat as easy to play in the beginning..

• Members

Pacifica 112j really is a very solid guitar.

If I was advising I'd steer them to the mustang 1 over the 2.

There is plenty of amp in the mustang 1 and you don't need a kid totally blowing his ears out with the 2. For home practice and messing around with buddies the 1 will be perfect.

This is sensible. You could then get a PAC 212 which he will keep forever.

• Members

I'm seeing $11.45, which is a great deal, but $9.67 is better.. Link?

Hmmm, I got a notification yesterday that the Snark I'd put in my shopping cart had had the price reduced to $9.67. At this link, though, it shows up as $10.48 with free shipping for Amazon Prime members like myself. Still a helluva price for suck an amazingly useful little gadget.

Archived