Gibson LP Custom

satannica

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Financially speaking, no, it isn't. The main differences are an ebony fretboard (maybe $50 more in material. Probably a lot less..), block vs. trapazoid inlays (still plastic, not pearl, maybe $10 in material), more binding ($10), gold hardware ($50). All that adds up to a BIG premium for the Custom vs. the Standard.

So why would anyone buy a Custom over the Standard? In a word - Awesomeness! The Les Paul Custom is one of the most beautiful versions of one of the most beautiful guitars ever designed. Its classic "Tuxedo" look is easily one of the most recognized guitars in the world. It's not for everyone, but for some, it's the ultimate Les Paul.

• Members

block vs. trapazoid inlays (still plastic, not pearl, maybe $10 in material)

Yes they are -- Gibson may have gone to acrylic for a few years (not to my knowledge...), but the current model uses MOP and pearl.

"along with a multi-bound headstock that featured a prominent five-piece split diamond patterned inlay of genuine mother of pearl"

"topped by a 22-fret ebony fingerboard outfitted with pearl block inlays"

• Members

-- Gibson may have gone to acrylic for a few years (not to my knowledge...), but the current model uses MOP and pearl.

"along with a multi-bound headstock that featured a prominent five-piece split diamond patterned inlay of genuine mother of pearl"

"topped by a 22-fret ebony fingerboard outfitted with pearl block inlays"

Wow, I didn't know that. I thought Gibson went away from real pearl many years ago, on everything. Awesome!

• Members

I'll tell you my deal.

I tried out a few standards over the last few weekends. I really want an LP Standard Desert Burst as it looks secksy. However the one I tried (and seemingly the only one around me for a while) plays like a dog, even after the technician "set it up". The various ebony and iced tea ones all played really nicely though by and large, but I'm not a fan of the "look".

So my thoughts are either go for the really nice playing ebony one, order up another db one and hope for the best, or assume that the Customs will all be tip top sparkly and dapper and order it blind.

Currently, I'm thinking go for the black one (I have it reserved at the moment), but then thinking I'm only going to buy one Les Paul ever, maybe I should do it right first time and get the Custom...

• Members

They're different guitars so it really depends on what you want. For one thing, the Customs have a mahogany body with a mahogany top, different neck shape, different frets and different trim. The top does give them a different sound and the neck/frets make them feel different.

I think there is another Custom they make with a flamed maple top. I'm not sure what the deal is with those.

Better is subjective. I would say play both and see which you like the best. Those Historic Customs they were making were awesome. I don't know if they still make them but I played a few and really liked them.

YMMV.

• Members

I'll tell you my deal.

I tried out a few standards over the last few weekends. I really want an LP Standard Desert Burst as it looks secksy. However the one I tried (and seemingly the only one around me for a while) plays like a dog, even after the technician "set it up". The various ebony and iced tea ones all played really nicely though by and large, but I'm not a fan of the "look".

So my thoughts are either go for the really nice playing ebony one, order up another db one and hope for the best, or assume that the Customs will all be tip top sparkly and dapper and order it blind.

Currently, I'm thinking go for the black one (I have it reserved at the moment), but then thinking I'm only going to buy one Les Paul ever, maybe I should do it right first time and get the Custom...

Not too start another gibson {censored} storm....personally I wouldn't...unless there is a guaranteed return policy on it if it turns out to be a dog. I honestly believe that with gibson...especially the Factory USA models...the price range is no indication of great quality.

Be patient and wait out the one you really want. Be it a Custom or a Standard. In the end it will be worth it.

• Members

They're different guitars so it really depends on what you want. For one thing, the Customs have a mahogany body with a mahogany top, different neck shape, different frets and different trim. The top does give them a different sound and the neck/frets make them feel different.

I think there is another Custom they make with a flamed maple top. I'm not sure what the deal is with those.

Better is subjective. I would say play both and see which you like the best. Those Historic Customs they were making were awesome. I don't know if they still make them but I played a few and really liked them.

YMMV.

Customs all have maple tops now. And have for years from what I understand.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-Custom/Les-Paul-Custom.aspx

• Members

Not too start another gibson {censored} storm....personally I wouldn't...unless there is a guaranteed return policy on it if it turns out to be a dog. I honestly believe that with gibson...especially the Factory USA models...the price range is no indication of great quality.

Be patient and wait out the one you really want. Be it a Custom or a Standard. In the end it will be worth it.

I disagree but I would suggest looking for a used one, as you'll save yourself a lot of money.

• Members

Aye that's the thing. The nearest shop with a custom in stock is about 140 miles away... so it'd either wait and see if anyone gets one in, or order blind.

Don't most of those online sites offer good return policies though? I know it would be a bit of a headache but in the end the piece of mind would be worth it.

• Members

I ordered my Joe B. Studio completely blind and it was amazing. It did have a very minor finish blem (that got me an additional 10% off the price and buffed completely away in 5 minutes with some Dunlop polish and a cloth..) but otherwise, it was flawless.. Is there another Joe B. Studio that plays/sounds better? Maybe, maybe not, but the one I got plays/sounds great to me and that's all I care about. Don't let the gloom and doom people scare you about buying a Gibson. Internet horror stories get blown full of hot air. Musician's Friend, American Musical, Sweetwater, all these places offer at least a 45 day return on them. Pick what you want and give it a ride. If it works for you, awesome. If not, send it back and try again.

• Members

I ordered my Joe B. Studio completely blind and it was amazing. It did have a very minor finish blem (that got me an additional 10% off the price and buffed completely away in 5 minutes with some Dunlop polish and a cloth..) but otherwise, it was flawless.. Is there another Joe B. Studio that plays/sounds better? Maybe, maybe not, but the one I got plays/sounds great to me and that's all I care about. Don't let the gloom and doom people scare you about buying a Gibson. Internet horror stories get blown full of hot air. Musician's Friend, American Musical, Sweetwater, all these places offer at least a 45 day return on them. Pick what you want and give it a ride. If it works for you, awesome. If not, send it back and try again.

That maybe true....but he's already played one he thought was a dog. So it's obviously a possibility it could happen. And not just a remote one.

But yeah you're right, if those places offer that kind of return time than the risk is minimal.

• Members

That maybe true....but he's already played one he thought was a dog. So it's obviously a possibility it could happen. And not just a remote one.

But yeah you're right, if those places offer that kind of return time than the risk is minimal.

Yep, the desert burst one which was actually the one I went out to buy. The Ebony one played seriously good though, just like I've been told they should play like, and is the one that I have reserved until Saturday.

The UK doesn't quite boast the same type or returnability that the States does. So although the store is happy to order me in another Desertburst LP, or indeed any store, it's kinda you take what you get more or less...

• Members

Customs all have maple tops now. And have for years from what I understand.

For a while they were making them with mahogany again. Maybe they were making maple ones at the same time, I'm not sure.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LPB7VOEBGH?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&gclid=CIS9ju3M3qwCFU1x5Qodkgggsw

• Members

Yep, the desert burst one which was actually the one I went out to buy. The Ebony one played seriously good though, just like I've been told they should play like, and is the one that I have reserved until Saturday.

The UK doesn't quite boast the same type or returnability that the States does. So although the store is happy to order me in another Desertburst LP, or indeed any store, it's kinda you take what you get more or less...

That kind of sucks.

I would just try to be really patient. I know it's tough when you're itching to buy but don't settle.

Either that or try to make a weekend trip out of Les Paul shopping somewhere that might have more selection.

• Members

For a while they were making them with mahogany again. Maybe they were making maple ones at the same time, I'm not sure.

Probably. I know the all Mahogany ones are the "vintage correct" models. It's hard to keep track of what gibson does. The put so many models and reissues and this and that out....

Archived