If Gibson Were Gone..............

Steadfastly

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Why all of the Gibson bashing lately? Jesus, just don't buy a Gibson and call it done. And to be honest, at $1,200, a Gibson SG Standard is not overpriced.

Heads up, GM already went out of business in 2008. Now they are partially owned by Fiat and the U.S. government lol.

Chrysler was bought by Fiat during bankruptcy restructuring, not GM. They do not share ownership with the U.S. government, but still have Federal loans to repay.

GM was also restructured in bankruptcy, and they are partially owned by the U.S. Government, but that Federal ownership is being divested fast, often at below market share prices.

• Members

That's not a lot different than what's happening now with Gibson getting factories in Asia to make guitars for them and then selling them under the Gibson name.

WTF are you talking about? Please provide references to these Asian-produced Gibson-branded instruments you speak of.

• Members

Fine, then I'll rephrase it. If Gibson were to go out of business, you would have no one to waste your time complaining about on this forum.

are you talking about? Please provide references to these Asian-produced Gibson-branded instruments you speak of.

First of all, I'm not complaining; just asking a question and stating my opinion. If you read all the posts many agree and some agree even more strongly.

We have a company here in Canada that were buying guitars from Asia. On their website, they say their guitars are made in a shop where both Gibsons and Fenders were/are made. This was posted on another thread sometime ago and a few of the members knew about this and responded saying they knew this as well.

• Members

We have a company here in Canada that were buying guitars from Asia. On their website, they say their guitars are made in a shop where both Gibsons and Fenders were/are made. This was posted on another thread sometime ago and a few of the members knew about this and responded saying they knew this as well.

It's no secret Gibson has guitars produced in Asia. Those instruments are sold under the Epiphone, Orville, Baldwin, Kramer, and Maestro brand names, not Gibson. Fender has marketed Asian produced instruments under it's own brand-name for decades.

• Members

I haven't read every post here, but here's my answer...

...I think that it would make a difference. They are a landmark. Many guitarists (if not the majority) say they'd be happy with just a Fender and a Gibson, often a Strat and a Les Paul. Yes, other companies make similar guitars, and if Gibson were gone, we'd still have other makers to turn to for those types of sounds, but the absence of such an influence would be felt. Nostalgia and collector values for the brand would rise drastically. And yes, another company would likely buy the name - and if it was Fender, we'd have a company that would be way too big for our little niche industry.

Their absence wouldn't stop people from playing, creating, recording, and enjoying music, but many musicians would care. Also, all of Gibson's employees would really care.

• Members

It's true that on the high end, Gibson produces high quality instruments, but low to medium priced guitars from Japan, Korea and now China have been chasing that quality; Agile is one example. I think a lot of brand loyalty is embedded in the quality issue. People tend to evaluate Gibson quality higher just because of the name.

I think the argument could be made that Gibson stands in the way of evolution of price/quality in favor of the consumer. If Gibson were to die, there would be more competition, as companies vied to fill the high end niche. This could result in more quality for better prices.

• Members

The name is iconic. It will never go away.

But practically speaking, it would not make any dif to the average guitar player if it did.

D'Angelico is an iconic name too.

Who makes these today?

Yamaha or Samick could have the capital to buy Gibson.

• Members

D'Angelico is an iconic name too.

Who makes these today?

Yamaha or Samick could have the capital to buy Gibson.

Michael Lewis, a luthier in Grass Valley, California used to build replica D'Angelicos under license from whomever inherited the name, but apparently doesn't do it any more. I once held and "played" one of them during a visit to his shop. It was a work of art, and at about $30k was priced like one!

http://www.michaellewisinstruments.com/prices.php

• Members

It's true that on the high end, Gibson produces high quality instruments, but low to medium priced guitars from Japan, Korea and now China have been chasing that quality; Agile is one example. I think a lot of brand loyalty is embedded in the quality issue. People tend to evaluate Gibson quality higher just because of the name.

I think the argument could be made that Gibson stands in the way of evolution of price/quality in favor of the consumer. If Gibson were to die, there would be more competition, as companies vied to fill the high end niche. This could result in more quality for better prices.

This is a very wise statement.

• Members

Why all of the Gibson bashing lately? Jesus, just don't buy a Gibson and call it done. And to be honest, at $1,200, a Gibson SG Standard is not overpriced.

Heads up, GM already went out of business in 2008. Now they are partially owned by Fiat and the U.S. government lol.

lol true. I'm sure the govt would bail Gibson out if they started manufacturing ridiculously huge, ugly guitars, with bad action and

• Members

An idiotic poll, for sure. Seems designed mostly to precipitate another {censored}storm of HCEG Gibson bashing.
I think it goes without saying that Gibson has a history of making industry-changing design innovations and they make excellent guitars. Their electric and acoustic guitars are terrific.
Let's face it, if you were honest with yourself, you would like to have a Les Paul, an SG, or a 335, if not one of each.

• Members

Well, yes. Some folks might even throw a party. I'm only semi joking here. With 47.22% voting no or don't care that has to say something about the state of the guitar communities opinion of Gibson guitars at this point in time. If the Republican or Democratic party had a President in office with those kind of approval ratings I'm pretty sure they would be looking for a new candidate for the next election. The fact that Henry most certainly has access to his own research on this and still doesn't care should make something very apparent statement to us as well. .

• Members
An idiotic poll, for sure. Seems designed mostly to precipitate another {censored}storm of HCEG Gibson bashing.

I think it goes without saying that Gibson has a history of making industry-changing design innovations and they make excellent guitars. Their electric and acoustic guitars are terrific.

Let's face it, if you were honest with yourself, you would like to have a Les Paul, an SG, or a 335, if not one of each.

For 45 years I was a Gibson lover. Now I am a proud member of the "Gibson Haters Club of America". With Henry making decisions like putting plastic mother of pearl on my $3000.00 ES 137 Custom and now degrading virtually the entire Gibson product line to plywood fret boards how could a sane person see it any other way. Those are not "industry-changing design innovations" those are sleazy cost cutting measures to line his own pockets. I just don't know how you Gibson fan boys manage to keep walking down this road with Henry throwing you under the bus every other day. Don't you understand that every time you defend this tripe from Henry you are encouraging him to do more of the same. In fact you guys have become an even bigger threat to Gibsons survival than Henry himself because you condone and defend the very things that may well finish them.

There are no sacred cows in the business world. If you don't believe that just sit down and make a list of all of the companies that you thought were American icons that are no longer with us. After all our entire financial system and its banking institutions recently collapsed and most certainly would now be extinct if it were not for massive government bail outs. What on earth would make anyone think that Gibson has a free pass when it comes to that.

By the way. With this pole being currently at 47.22% for those who who voted it won't make a difference or they just don't care if Gibson survives or not I would say that the "Gibson Haters Club of America" is gaining a very substantial following.

If you can excuse putting plastic mother of pearl inlays on this guitar you are beyond hope. Never mind. Of course you can. I'm am quite certain that now that you are aware of it you will do your research and come up with some insanely irrational excuse for why it's a good thing. Perhaps plastic inlays allow your fingers to glide over the fretboard more easily or they somehow contribute to a better tone than genuine MOP.

$3000.00 and Henry puts plastic inlays on it. What part of "we are all getting screwed" doesn't ring a bell with you..
LP072.jpg

• Members

It's no secret Gibson has guitars produced in Asia. Those instruments are sold under the Epiphone, Orville, Baldwin, Kramer, and Maestro brand names, not Gibson. Fender has marketed Asian produced instruments under it's own brand-name for decades.

Are you absolutely sure of this? I'm not saying you are not. It's just that others have said otherwise. Of course, Gibson would not likely admit it because they want to keep their mystique. I am interested to have any other details you could share with us. Thank you, Steadfastly

• Members

I agree that their acoustic guitars are terrific and so are some of their electric guitars.

Personally, I don't like the SG style guitar and if someone gave me a 335, I would sell it and buy something equally as good for 1/2 the price. Then I would buy a nice something else with what was left over.

• Members

Are you absolutely sure of this? I'm not saying you are not. It's just that others have said otherwise. Of course, Gibson would not likely admit it because they want to keep their mystique. I am interested to have any other details you could share with us. Thank you, Steadfastly

This should answer your question. This is where Gibson makes all of it's Chinese guitars. No mention of Gibson branded guitars.

http://www.qingdaonese.com/made-in-qingdao-epiphone-guitars/

Archived