Do you make assumptions about what users play what kinds of music?

honeyiscool

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

hrafnkel is a genuinely nice guy

mistersully likes diners

d carrolls band accidentially sounds like the gorillaz

If we're talking about the virtual band, it's not THE Gorillaz, it's just Gorillaz. Hate to be "that guy" but it is what it is. If it's a different band, then nevermind

• Members

your middle aged/a dad

My middle aged what? (sorry, but if you're going to spell it wrong I just can't resist)

Okay, well you can see my pic so the first bit is obvious. Why would only a dad have a Gretsch, a nice acoustic and a Yammy SG? ... and what does being middle-aged or being a dad have to do with what kind of person I am or what music I play anyway?

• Members

My middle aged what? (sorry, but if you're going to spell it wrong I just can't resist)

Okay, well you can see my pic so the first bit is obvious. Why would only a dad have a Gretsch, a nice acoustic and a Yammy SG? ... and what does being middle-aged or being a dad have to do with what kind of person I am or what music I play anyway?

those are all total dad guitars

like how PRS are lawyer/doctor guitars you dig?

• Members

those are all total dad guitars

like how PRS are lawyer/doctor guitars you dig?

Let me guess, unless it's a pointy nasty looking gaudy thing which looks like it's designed for "teh brutalz" it's a dad guitar right? If I'd answered this last year and put my Ibanez RG there I'd presumably still be a middle-aged dad, but one who likes metal.

See, this is why I wouldn't make those kinds of assumptions. Some people buy guitars because they like them. I'd have been delighted to have any of my main three when I was a snotty nosed kid starting out at 14. Of course back then there weren't any pointy gaudy metal guitars so it would have been much harder back then to make any kinds of assumptions at all - except how much money you could afford to spend.

The OP's point wasn't about whether you're a dad or how old you are - it was about what kinds of music you play.

• Members

Let me guess, unless it's a pointy nasty looking gaudy thing which looks like it's designed for "teh brutalz" it's a dad guitar right? If I'd answered this last year and put my Ibanez RG there I'd presumably still be a middle-aged dad, but one who likes metal.

See, this is why I wouldn't make those kinds of assumptions. Some people buy guitars because they like them. I'd have been delighted to have any of my main three when I was a snotty nosed kid starting out at 14. Of course back then there weren't any pointy gaudy metal guitars so it would have been much harder back then to make any kinds of assumptions at all - except how much money you could afford to spend.

The OP's point wasn't about whether you're a dad or how old you are - it was about what kinds of music you play.

yeah you'd be a hair metal dad probably/more so if you had a charvel or something like that haha

most people buy guitars because they like them, yeah. harder for you to make assumptions about people based off of how pointy their guitars are and impossible for you to assume i play pointy guitars haha

• Members

i don't think the Buckland guitars fit into any category, they are a bit of everything. If you saw a guy playing heavy rock it wouldn't look out of place, neither if it was a country band.

Photoon2010-10-14at2212.jpg
What do I play?

Chuck Berry and Hendrix covers?

• Members

Dads play dad rock.

Nice SG

• Members

Thanks. It's a lovely thing to play.

I can only guess that "dad rock" would mean something like AC/DC, Zep or some other "classic" rock band - in which case I'm glad to say I don't fit the bill
:)

I have an SG1802 - fantastic guitar!

Dad rock is anything dads play. There is no escape!

• Members

also, in response to Honeyiscool's question, mostly yes. Sometimes you can't really tell (strats and teles are used in almost every style of music), but if they just bought a plain black BC Rich or something I kinda know I won't like the same music as them.

Archived