Do you make assumptions about what users play what kinds of music?

honeyiscool

• Members

You should never, of course, judge a book by its cover, but if I'm honest, my answer to the OP is yes, to some extent. It seems to be the case that some of the recent indie bands (at least around these parts), deliberately err towards either apparently whacky, or a semi-hollow... and in the process of trying to be alternative, all seem to look a bit the same. So, although some of those bands are very good indeed, I do tend to make an assumption when I see a chap with a long fringe, pumps that would let lots of rainwater in, skinny jeans, under-nourished physique and deliberately 'alternative-choice' guitar.

I would say telecasters are among the least easy to bracket in that sense, probably followed by stratocasters - they could reflect just about anything. Les Pauls and SGs are possibly a little MORE indicative, usually, of some kind of genre (but only a little).

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

We need someone to create a "What Guitar Should I Play?" Java app. You'd enter profile info and it would spit out a few "preferred" models. Then we'd all know which guitars a middle-aged, childless, black, professional, prog-rock fan should play ...

• Members

We need someone to create a "What Guitar Should I Play?" Java app. You'd enter profile info and it would spit out a few "preferred" models. Then we'd all know which guitars a middle-aged, childless, black, professional, prog-rock fan should play ...

I know the answer to that:

Middle aged over-rides all the other things on there, and that (but in combination with the other things), you (one) would clearly have a Fender Stratocaster.

Then you'd throw the app right into your recycle bin! (mainly because it would probably give 'stratocaster' for most scenarios).

• Members

Most of the regulars who care to post their music links, I've checked out and at least have an idea of what kind of stuff they play. It's hard to tell just by guitars sometimes. Especially as the prevailing opinion around here is that any guitar can and should be used for any type of music. Some people have just grown very comfortable with certain types of guitars, so that even if their tastes in music change, they stick with what they know.

If I see a member's picture, know their rough age and see their complete rig, THEN I can make an educated guess as to what they play.

• Members

Waiting for the MusicYo Kramer tagline in 3....2....1

dammit, do i have to do everything myself around here? come on, people...

If you live for hard rock, get a guitar made to rock hard. Kramer guitars are designed and built specifically for hard rock guitar players. They feature body design and construction, pickups, electronics and hardware for rock music. Some other guitars try to work for ALL kinds of music (country AND rock). That's impossible! Kramer does one thing and it does it well.

Archived