Guitar Fetish claims that GFS pickups can compete against any boutique brand...

skunky_funk

• Members

+1

you know, it does exist here... but not to the extent you seem to think.... if you focus on it, it's what you'll notice

there's both sides of that coin here... and then there's a whole lot of us that sit in the middle.... i own a guitar that cost 4k... i own a guitar that cost $300... i enjoy them both... i can make music with them both

if someone says "my classic vibe is as good as an american standard" ... why does that bother you?... you might not agree with it... but why does it bother you?... to the person making the statement it's probably the experience they've had with the guitars... and they're perception might be different than yours... big deal

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You have to figure on THIS forum one must take into consideration all of the reverse corksniffery that somehow equates cheap with moral superiority.

I agree. There's a lot of that here IMO. While there is certainly plenty of decent, value-priced gear around, the budget stuff isn't magically equal to gear that costs more. In general, it is easier to find high-quality gear, and better sound, in the higher price points...although it's certainly not a given. Still, the player trumps the gear. So, buy the best gear you can afford and play the hell out of it.

• Members

I like that GFS offers cheap alternatives, but none of the pickups I've tried stayed. I've never been impressed. Something about them just sounds dull to me. I've tried 3, so my experience is limited. I bought a dream-90 which people rave about, but sold it before I got to try it.

• Members

Well, I've learned something here that I think is significant and that's how a few have tried good quality pickups (ones that have proven themselves over time) in a guitar to improve it's tone and it was still a dud and it turned out to be the guitar. I didn't think the guitar would make that much difference.

Now, I'm wondering if in these cases, is it the guitar design, wood, other electrics or a combination? Has anyone got any answer to this?

• Members

To YOU, not necessarily to me. Why is this so difficult to understand or accept? Your subjective tastes do not translate into objective facts in sound preferences for anyone other than you.

That's true of course. Sometimes its hard being able to hear the differences so easily when others can't.

• Members

pickups are magnets & wire. thats it

there's no magic fairy dust that goes into making them.

Hell, aside from the fact I just don't like more rules and regulations than are absolutely necessary, I feel like this should be made to be clearly posted on the advertising and websites of all pickup sellers just like the warning on packs of cigarettes.

Sure, there are differences in sound and quality of build from brand to brand, but ultimately it's a very subjective thing and they ARE just magnets and wire (and a bobbin.)

I remember from the 70s to the 90s a lot of people sneered at things like Teisco-like "gold foil" pickups and things like the old Dano lipsticks because they were cheap pickups put in cheap guitars.

Now vintage examples of those pickups can go for high coin. I guess because, due to their age, they have somehow acquired that mystical, elusive "mojo" we hear about so often.

• Members

This same quandary exists in most fields. Photography (another hobby of mine) comes to mind. There was recently a study conducted among some of the world's most prominent photographers, most of whom wouldn't consider taking a shot with anything less than the most expensive lenses. Without knowing which shots came from which camera, the majority selected photos taken with bargain lenses, some purposely defective, as being of the higher quality. Almost all took some time deciding, attesting to the close proximity of the results either way. I would love to run a blindfold test such as this here among forum members..... I think many (of those willing to accept the results) would be surprised (I'm not excluding myself..... I'm alway anxious to lay down a misconception blocking my path to the truth).

• Members

you know, it does exist here... but not to the extent you seem to think.... if you focus on it, it's what you'll notice

there's both sides of that coin here... and then there's a whole lot of us that sit in the middle.... i own a guitar that cost 4k... i own a guitar that cost $300... i enjoy them both... i can make music with them both

if someone says "my classic vibe is as good as an american standard" ... why does that bother you?... you might not agree with it... but why does it bother you?... to the person making the statement it's probably the experience they've had with the guitars... and they're perception might be different than yours... big deal

..... + another 1

• Members

This same quandary exists in most fields. Photography (another hobby of mine) comes to mind. There was recently a study conducted among some of the world's most prominent photographers, most of whom wouldn't consider taking a shot with anything less than the most expensive lenses. Without knowing which shots came from which camera, the majority selected photos taken with bargain lenses, some purposely defective, as being of the higher quality. Almost all took some time deciding, attesting to the close proximity of the results either way. I would love to run a blindfold test such as this here among forum members..... I think many (of those willing to accept the results) would be surprised (I'm not excluding myself..... I'm alway anxious to lay down a misconception blocking my path to the truth).

Though there is the element of using the cameras (or pickups) that comes into play - while you may be able to reach the same or similar or better result at the end, how gear affects your workflow is still incredibly important, if not moreso than your results.

• Members

Though there is the element of
using
the cameras (or pickups) that comes into play - while you may be able to reach the same or similar or better result at the end, how gear affects your workflow is still incredibly important, if not moreso than your results.

True in many cases, but how would the choice of pickup affect workflow?

• Members

True in many cases, but how would the choice of pickup affect workflow?

I can think of a few ways, like the psychological aspect (some people will never feel comfortable with cheaper parts in their guitar, no matter the sound) as well as the maintenance/setup side of things - if cheap pickups require tweaking/rewiring, again that's a disruption. It's true that pickups are much more a set-and-forget type of thing, however.

• Members

I can think of a few ways, like the psychological aspect (some people will never feel comfortable with cheaper parts in their guitar, no matter the sound) as well as the maintenance/setup side of things - if cheap pickups require tweaking/rewiring, again that's a disruption. It's true that pickups are much more a set-and-forget type of thing, however.

With all due respect, you're kidding, right?

#1 - If a guitarist has those kind of mental issues, he needs a psychiatrist, not an equipment change (stick an impressive name/price tag on it). For that matter, a red guitar could upset the workflow just as much if a guitarist doesn't feel comfortable, in spite of it's capabilities, playing an instrument of that color.

#2 - I've been gigging & recording for 47 years, with all types of pickups, cheap & expensive..... i've never come across an instance where my pickups had to be tweaked or rewired in the midst of a gig. Of course it happens, but I wouldn't base my purchasing decisions on such an obscure happenstance. Who, by the way, doesn't bring backup instruments to a gig? Certainly not a musician who bases his purchases on possible future reliability problems, when he puts his in jeopardy himself with his own actions.

What other excuses can you give yourself for drinking the Kool-Aid? If these are the best reasons, I can't imagine what gravitas the other reasons offer.

You seem to be grasping at straws to justify your position.

• Members

We could call it the HC pickup myth busters extravaganza.

• Members

I think it's pretty dang obvious why Jay hasn't shown up in THIS thread! :poke:

It is?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I respect everyone's opinion- I usually never chime in when people are honestly discussing their likes and dislikes- Not my place.

When it comes to something subjective like tone and "quality" there is no one truth- it's all shades of grey.

Thanks guys.

• Members

It is?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I respect everyone's opinion- I usually never chime in when people are honestly discussing their likes and dislikes- Not my place.

When it comes to something subjective like tone and "quality" there is no one truth- it's all shades of grey.

Thanks guys.

Actually, I was figuring you were at NAMM and just too busy. :)

However, I did expect the same classy response that you gave here. You have a job to do and that's to sell things to people that are very opinionated about a lot of stuff and they all have different opinions, so you have to cover ALL the bases.

I HATE when people compare GFS to Duncan to DiMarzio to... whatever. You can't take any one entire brand as being better than another considering that they all have different models to cater to different tastes. For instance, I like my Duncan '59 Trembucker but I just can't stand the JB. I love the GFS VEH I have in my Epi Les Paul but the Power Rails are a bit too hot and middy for me. There's going to be at least one model in each brand's lineup that somebody will love.

• Members

Actually, I was figuring you were at NAMM and just too busy.
:)

Yeah I was at NAMM- just back and a bit exhausted but really- I try and stay out of the "Does GFS suck or not" threads. Luckily for us we've found a pretty nice piece of this market and the positive feedback I get from customers is really gratifying. Plenty of guitar players in the world and plenty of room for all of the great new pickup winders to coexist with Dimarzio, Duncan EMg and GFS.

All sorts of new pickup, guitar and hardware projects underway- should be an eventful 2012 for us!

Archived