Vox AC15

vanderwaal

• Members

I'm Currently lugging around a 50 watt 2x12 Carvin Bel Air and it is killing me. There is no way I'm ever going to need 50 watts and my back isn't what it use to be so I'm looking to scale back. I've always loved the Vox sound so I was leaning towards an AC15 but there seems to be a lot of variations. This Vox noob needs to know what to get. Help?

• Members

Personally I like the AC15CC1 series a little better than the current new AC15C1. A little better build quality, more tonal options with the old control panel. They're still not lightweights though. There are some good options from other makers like Laney that make Vox type amps that might be a better value and a little lighter and more compact.

• Members

Personally I like the AC15CC1 series a little better than the current new AC15C1. A little better build quality, more tonal options with the old control panel. They're still not lightweights though. There are some good options from other makers like Laney that make Vox type amps that might be a better value and a little lighter and more compact.

I'm open to suggestions. Specifically I'm looking to go from a 2x12 to a single and from 50 watts down to 10 to 20. Which Laney is that?

• Members

The AC15 is 45 lbs, I believe. Mine feels that heavy, anyway. I also prefer the CC1 to the newer C1, mostly because of the speaker, I think. Mine has the Celestion Blue, but I even prefer the cheaper Wharfedale to the Greenback in that particular amp. Not that the Greenback sounds bad, it's just not my favorite in that amp. That said, the newer one does natural overdrive a little better, and I think it's because of the speaker.

• Members

I'm open to suggestions. Specifically I'm looking to go from a 2x12 to a single and from 50 watts down to 10 to 20. Which Laney is that?

I like the LC-30 or VC-30, both 30 watt 1x12 combos. There are also 15 watt 1x10 versions.

http://www.laney.co.uk/show_type.php?tid=8

http://www.laney.co.uk/show_prod.php?prod=vc30-112

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LANEY-VC15-110-15-WATT-TUBE-AMPLIFIER-COMBO-NEW-/280747432436?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item415dd9d9f4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Laney-CUB-All-TUBE-Series-CUB-12R-15-Watt-1x12-Guitar-Combo-Amplifier-Amp-NICE-/220949922863?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3371a4442f

Look around, there was a LC30 on the chicago craigslist for $280 for a couple weeks just recently. They seem to go fairly cheap on CL when they come up.

BTW, Peavey Classic 30's are a Vox AC30 based design. Any of the 2 x el84 1x12 combos like the Blackheart Handsome Devil have some Vox in 'em. Put a Celestion Greenback in a Blues Junior and you get close too.

• Members

I love my AC15tbx but I can definitely recommend a Laney if you're trying to save some dough. The Laney VC series is VERY reminiscent of the Vox AC series but still manages to have it's own sound. I've owned several Vox's, and three Laney's- 2 VC15's and a VC30...out of all of them, my personal fave has been an older UK-made VC15 2x10...they're really scarce but if you can find one used, you should be able to pick it up for $350 or so...

• Members

I had the AC15c1 for a while. Awesome souding amp and I much prefered the greenback the wharfdale speaker on the older models. I was using it as a head and running it through my George Lynch Gflex cab I had at the time and it sounded amazing! I know that setup is not exactly "portable" though. Anyhow great amp if it had an fx loop I would have kept it as I like to use delay quite a bit and I had the amps gain pretty much dime and was using my volume knob to clean it up. I still may pick up another one if I can find one used on the cheap.

• Members

Anyone played the hand-wired series? What are your thoughts on those? What about boutique clones like Hayseed?

I have a Valvetech in the works. Ask again around the end of March and I'll have an answer for you...

FWIW, the Hayseeds are piece-for-piece clones of the original circuits. It won't get any more authentic. Of course, there's the wait... :(