I think I need a cheap Strat copy

arrowhen

• Members

I ended up with a little unexpected bonus in the ol' tax refund this year, so in addition to the usual music gear and computer upgrades I think I'll pick up an unexpected bonus guitar.

I've never really been a fan of Strat-style guitars, so I think it's time I got one, just for variety's sake. Is something dirt cheap like a $119 Squier Bullet or an $89 SX Hawk going to give me a vague approximation of Strattiness? Or at least not completely suck? Or should I kick in a few extra bucks and look at something a little higher up the food chain?

• Members

This is always hard to answer. I absolutely think that a $250 used recent MIM Standard is two times as good as a current $120 Squier Bullet.

Having said that, I also believe that a nicely modded $700 upper level MIM with upgraded pickups or a stock used MIA Standard is worth close to three times as much as the $250 MIM.

Having said that, if I were almost broke but had $120 to spare and wanted a strat, I have no doubt I could get along just fine with a current Bullet... even in stock form!

• Members

I don't suggest going the SX route unless your good at mod and setup work.

The tuners are junk and will also need the cheap plastic nut replaced.

The SX's are a ton of fun and turn into nice budget players with some work.

As others have suggested it's hard to go wrong with a Mexican made Fender.

• Members

107399845_lg.jpg

check it!!!!!

150$ plus shipping, its a squier body with a fender neck, used from guitar center!

send you the link if your interested?

what say yeh!?@?

Im in shop for a new guitar and found this, but i came upon a better deal locally. Im still shoping cause i havent bought it yet but hey this ones looks like it has your name on it.

• Members

I don't suggest going the SX route unless your good at mod and setup work.

The tuners are junk and will also need the cheap plastic nut replaced.

The SX's are a ton of fun and turn into nice budget players with some work.

As others have suggested it's hard to go wrong with a Mexican made Fender.

yep, SX tuners and nuts are godawful. at least the ones on my two SX guitars were.

• Members

I never had a SX Strat. I had a Squier Affinity - it played nice but the stock PUP's sucked. You might want to consider a used Squier Vintage Modified Strat. I think mine was around $200 and it is a wonderful strat. The thing about strats - you might need to play a couple dozen until you find "the one".

Have fun.

• Members

I ended up with a little unexpected bonus in the ol' tax refund this year, so in addition to the usual music gear and computer upgrades I think I'll pick up an unexpected bonus guitar.

I've never really been a fan of Strat-style guitars, so I think it's time I got one, just for variety's sake. Is something dirt cheap like a $119 Squier Bullet or an $89 SX Hawk going to give me a vague approximation of Strattiness? Or at least not completely suck? Or should I kick in a few extra bucks and look at something a little higher up the food chain?

Play a bunch of Strats and find out which neck you prefer. Then, buy a Strat with that neck. The rest of the guitar can be easily modded to your taste. You could also buy the neck you prefer and build your guitar around that with the features you want. That's how I put my parts Strat together and I love it.

• Members

Affinity Squiers are well worth the cash, as are the Standards and Classic Vibes. The LTD ST-203 is also a nice guitar. Used ones can be had for good prices.

Bullets can be pretty good players with some work and decent pickups. I have dropped many a GFS pickup in them.

• Members

Nothing wrong with a MIM Strat, and there are deals to be had out there. However...I bought this no-name copy for $42 new in box. Sounds like a Strat, plays like a Strat, and although I'll be modding the hell out of it, I've gigged it stock and it worked just fine. So don't be afraid to fish for cheap deals. After all, Leo designed the Strat to be assembled quickly and cheaply. It ain't rocket surgery.

100_0390.jpg

Archived