Pre-lubed strings?

WhatDoIKnow

• Members

A while back someone on another message board posted a topic titled, "D'Addario String Crud". They commented that there was black "crud" on their new strings. At that time, I had also put on a new set of D'Addrios and after stretching the strings noticed the black line they left on my finger tips.

I posted in the thread that I had experienced the same issue, and attributed it to the age of the strings. I thought maybe they had been on the shelf at MF for a while, and the black streak was oxidation. After posting in the thread I was contacted by someone from D'Addario asking if I still had an unopened set from the 3-pack that could be sent in for analysis. I was sent a couple of 3-packs and a t-shirt in exchange for my trouble.

I put a set on from the new packs that were sent and noticed the same issue. I didn't bother following it up with D'Addario, I just figured I would switch brands the next time I needed strings.

Last night I put a set of 80/20 bronze Ernie Balls on an acoustic. Same issue. Looking at my fingers, I started to wonder if it was actually graphite I was seeing. Are the strings being pre-lubed? Is it some kind of anti-oxidation protectant?

pic2.jpg

• Members

I've been using D'Addario strings for more years than some here have been alive and never once had this happen.

I have pretty much used them exclusively and that last two packs are the first I have had an issue with. Next time I put a set on from the same 3-pack I will be sure to wash my hands well and see what happens.

• Members

Its likely die cutting oil from when the strings are pulled through a Die.

Its probibly the batched you been buying. The other thing is oxidation of course. Bronze and Nickle tarnish.

Just use some alcohol on the strings to clean them and they should be fine.

• Members

Its likely die cutting oil drom when the strings are pulled through a Die.

Its probibly the batched you been buying. The other thing is oxidation of course. Bronze and Nickle tarnish.

Just use some alcohol and all will be fine

Fixed.:thu:

Archived