Which guitar looks cooler on stage?

honeyiscool

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Hello Kitty is more likely to be a crowd pleaser, so I'd go with that one initially. Though I assume that single bucker limits your sound?

Good candidate for a P rails with a triple shot. And a tone control

• Members

Looks like he's added a tone, judging by the concentric pot?

Yeah it actually has a three-way coil selector as well. It's plenty versatile, but at the end of the day, I still only get three bridge pickup sounds, and I'm primarily a neck pickup player in my free time.

• Members

Yeah it actually has a three-way coil selector as well. It's plenty versatile, but at the end of the day, I still only get three bridge pickup sounds, and I'm primarily a neck pickup player in my free time.

This one has a pair of Mean 90's. I find myself leaving it on the bridge pup and using the tone control to, uh, change my tone. I'll prolly pull the neck pup on this one as soon as I get busy and make a new p/g.

• Members

This one has a pair of Mean 90's. I find myself leaving it on the bridge pup and using the tone control to, uh, change my tone. I'll prolly pull the neck pup on this one as soon as I get busy and make a new p/g.

I think a rolled bridge pickup sounds more "dull" than "warm," as much as I hate these adjectives. I like how with the neck pickup, I can disappear into the mix while still maintaining excellent clarity. I find that harder to do with bridge.

• Members

I think a rolled bridge pickup sounds more "dull" than "warm," as much as I hate these adjectives. I like how with the neck pickup, I can disappear into the mix while still maintaining excellent clarity. I find that harder to do with bridge.

I'd say you need a tone control with a better taper, in that case. You can also get some cool tones just by dropping the volume control on your guitar; again, it helps if you have good components.

As far as which looks better onstage, the Hello Kitty guitar makes more of a visual statement, and expresses a self-confidence that the ladies (or the dudes, if you swing that way) like. The Jaguar screams "90's grunge" to me, so maybe I'm biased. Nothing against grunge, but I saw a lot of shouldn't-be Kurt Cobains wielding those guitars back in the day.

• Members

I'd say you need a tone control with a better taper, in that case. You can also get some cool tones just by dropping the volume control on your guitar; again, it helps if you have good components.

As far as which looks better onstage, the Hello Kitty guitar makes more of a visual statement, and expresses a self-confidence that the ladies (or the dudes, if you swing that way) like. The Jaguar screams "90's grunge" to me, so maybe I'm biased. Nothing against grunge, but I saw a lot of shouldn't-be Kurt Cobains wielding those guitars back in the day.

I don't think the taper's the problem, I have tried both Alpha and CTS stacked pots. Plus, the taper doesn't affect the actual tone, it only affects my ability to find it.

(Also it's a Mustang. And it's the Kurt Cobain Mustang so you still have a point there.)

Archived