Nice guitars behind a glass case makes me sad.

PigWings_v2.0

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I think buying guitars you're not going to play is a silly hobby, just like I think golf, fishing and fantasy sports are silly hobbies. But as someone with silly hobbies of his own (I play World of Warcraft, for crying out loud!), I'm certainly not going to begrudge anyone else theirs.

I might, however, express my opinion about the silliness of those hobbies from time to time, which is all I think the OP is doing here. I don't know why some of you guys felt compelled to be dicks about it.

• Members

I've given some thought to mounting a few guitars in glass-fronted cases on the walls. The purpose being to keep the guitars available for playing but relatively dust-free when I'm not playing. The cost is kind of prohibitive, though, and there aren't many manufacturers doing that. I could do one or two of my favorite guitars, and maybe rotate some in and out, like I do with my (single) guitar rack.

• Members

Here's one instance: My local pawn shop currently has two guitars locked in a glass display case. A Rickenbacker bass (no idea what model) and a salmon pink Burns Marquee. You're not allowed to have them taken out so you can examine them, you just have to go on what you can see. The only time they'll come out of that case is to go into their dark, dank stock room where they won't get played either. And they'll be in that shop for a {censored}ing long time considering what they're charging for each. Much like a lovely Hughes & Kettner 4x12 cabinet with matching tube head. It's been in that shop, unmoved, for the last nine years gathering dust. And it'll be there for many more years to come. Now THAT'S sad. Or incredibly funny. Stupid pawn shop.

• Members

There there.

And
they're
there.....when *you're ready.
:)

I don't want to come across as a dick, but I couldn't tell if you were making a point about grammar. I couldn't stop myself! You must believe me :(

Even so, you know the difference between there, their and they're. Therefore: I love you.

• Members

they're
referred to guitars. Which Bonenut has given up, at least for now.

I share your grammar obsession. Quietly.

Ahh, I see.

I can tell you, it doesn't sit well with my generation when you openly admit that you can read, write and speak fluent English. They treat the ability to utilise proper spelling and grammar like it's a bad thing. It boggles the mind. They got the same education I did. Yet they're either choosing to speak and write like morons or they genuinely weren't paying attention. Either prospect is a dark, dark thought with regard to the future of my country. :facepalm:

• Members

Ahh, I see.

I can tell you,
it doesn't sit well
with my generation when you openly admit that you can read, write and speak fluent English. They treat the ability to utilise proper spelling and grammar like it's a
bad
thing. It boggles the mind. They got the same education I did. Yet they're either choosing to speak and write like morons or they genuinely weren't paying attention. Either prospect is a dark, dark thought with regard to the future of my country.
:facepalm:

My experience as well. But I live in a redneck town so I have learned to communicate carefully avoiding them big ass werds.

But, this place has some sharp cookies, and witty types. Guess that's why I come here.

• Members

My experience as well. But I live in a redneck town so I have learned to communicate carefully avoiding them big ass werds.

But, this place has some sharp cookies, and witty types. Guess that's why I come here.

Contrary to the popular excuse "its faster 2 typ lyk dis", I find it actually takes greater concentration. So they win one over on me in that respect, perhaps. I can't type like that. I lack the mental capacity to do it quickly :lol:

Though with all this "intellectual persecution", I foresee a second Dark Age very soon. Come one, come all! Join us! It's cool to be ignorant and naive!

And, like you, that is why I come here. Though generally, most people here have ten years on me.

Also, my linguistic proclivities seem to have thrown this thread very far off-topic. My bad :lol:

• Members

Brought to mind vintage car races. many of those cars are worth far, far more than any LP or strat could ever hope to be. And they are irreplaceable. If these guys have a mishap it won't be a buckle rash or ding.

We all may be thinking of Spinal Tap and the "Don't even look at it!" scene.

Guitars are meant to be played. Every guitar is a beach guitar. If you want to buy a guitar for an investment I say go buy some stock. Leave the guitars for people who use them as intended: to make noise.

[video=youtube;KZJJ02WLFPM]

Archived