Nice guitars behind a glass case makes me sad.

PigWings_v2.0

• Members

Guitars are ment to be played. Even the prettiest of the prettiest!

Sure, if it's a $50+k vintage instrument it's pretty much a museum piece by now. But people who buy brand new custom shop Les Pauls and put it straight into a glass case don't make sense to me. At least play the thing for a few years!

Those guitars never got a chance to build mojo.

:(

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

While I feel that guitars are meant to be played, and if I actually owned a vintage guitar I would gig it, I also don't care what other people do with their instruments.

That said, I do think it's a shame to see a vintage ax snatched up for sole purpose of living on a wall, or in a display case... but I don't lose any sleep over it.

• Members

The nut always comes lose. I don't know why and it's pretty annoying having to unscrew the jack and tighten it back up.

Every guitar with a strat style input jack does this. From Squier to G&L. It usually ends up with a broken wire that needs re-soldered.

Does this annoy anyone else?

• Members

Does the glass case have a door that opens?

This is a point. If I owned a 50k+ instrument, I would have kept it in a glass case when not playing it. Just to avoid it getting knocked over by visitors, and because it does look somewhat cool. Like an altar. But I would play it. Probably a lot.

• Members

Guitars are ment to be played. Even the prettiest of the prettiest!

Sure, if it's a $50+k vintage instrument it's pretty much a museum piece by now. But people who buy brand new custom shop Les Pauls and put it straight into a glass case don't make sense to me. At least play the thing for a few years!

Those guitars never got a chance to build mojo.

:(

No, it's completely up to the owner, if it's ment to be played or not. Owner's guitar = owners decision. They probably see it as a piece of art, and not as an instrument.

Build mojo?????? Ask a reallly bad player to play an excellent guitar.... can you hear any mojo? I can't.

• Members

There's a music museum not far from here. Lots and lots of musical instruments all the way from early Chinese hand-made things up to modern electric guitars just sitting there behind ropes and glass. Most of the time, I don't much care what goes on with other people's stuff, but as a musician, it sort of bothered me to see THAT MANY truly wonderful instruments just sitting there collecting dust. The one bright spot is that once every couple months they have little get-togethers and break out some of them for various groups to play.

Some of the old Victorian era stuff they have is just amazing looking. I think the worst part of going through there is the twitchy finger syndrome. I just wanted to jump the rope and try everything out.

But my point was, I sort of get what the OPs saying. Though seeing one instrument behind glass hasn't ever really gotten to me that much.

• Members

This is a point. If I owned a 50k+ instrument, I would have kept it in a glass case when not playing it.
Just to avoid it getting knocked over by visitors
, and because it does look somewhat cool. Like an altar. But I would play it. Probably a lot.

This is exactly why I keep my more expensive guitar in a hardcase under the bed. My friends have no concept of value, both monetary and sentimental. If a guitar gets knocked over, it's just "Well there shouldn't be a guitar there, should there?" when I've just got done playing with it and leaned it up next to the amp.

And I don't know. I for one quite like the idea of one of my guitars being on display at some local museum or in my family's house after I'm dead. The former'll never happen, but it's a nice thought. Plus the OP is a little vague. There's many capacities in which a guitar could be in a glass case.

Archived