NGD: Carvin DC800 (8 string) paging RavenCAD and GCDEF to the white courtesy phone

Fusion1

• Members

I just picked it up from UPS. All I can say is wow!!!!

It has alder wings with walnut 5 piece neck with 2 maple stripes with a tung oil finish and it is smooth as satin/silk! It feels like a million bucks in your hands and is lighter than I expected and I think lighter than my Damien Elite 8s.

Here are some pics:

frontfullguitar.jpg

bodyfront.jpg

headstockfront.jpg

backguitarfull.jpg

bodyback.jpg

Headstockback-1.jpg

I have a problem with the case as once I went to close it it seemed like it wouldn't close all the way so I thought maybe it was the paper work they included in the case that was keeping it from laying flat and closing. Upon inspection the left front side has a large gap when closed and the right side is normal. The rear hinge is very crooked. I called Carvin and they are sending a replacement case. All in all it is sweet. I have yet to plug it in and play it, but look forward to it later this evening.

leftlatchhugegap.jpg

middlelatchcrooked.jpg

rightlatchnormal.jpg

• Members

no idea, it was the only string that was out of tune. Intonation was spot on. This is probably the best guitar I have ever owned.

Nice guitar! Its what an Agile should be! Why is the low string so slack looking in the peghead photo? Is it tuned to drop Z?

• Members

some of the tru oil advocates might disagree there. I might also side with Tru oil too as I learned that the 86-87 Ibanes Roadstar II 440s and other in that series had tru oil finishes on the back of the necks and they are some of the smoothest necks I have ever laid hands on.

Awesome! Carvin's really bringing in some numbers with the new 8 strings. Love the wood choice and the tung oil all over, nothing smoother on the back of the neck than tung oil.
:thu:

• Members

Thank you Mr. Grima. At first I thought spending over $1k for a guitar was excessive but now that I have it, I get it.

I just went out and spec'd a custom one on Carvin's website. Not a bad price, considering all you get. Mine was a little different than yours, but even fully decked out they are fairly reasonable.

My next guitar purchase is looking more and more like a Carvin....

• Members

What style of music do you play? Are you playing jazz ala George VanEpps and Sal Salvador? I just can't really see a situation where I would need eight strings. It would be cool to hear about some artists using these.

• Members

No not really, more like heavier stuff like Animals as Leaders for lack of a better description, minus the talent of Tosin Abasi haha.

What style of music do you play? Are you playing jazz ala George VanEpps and Sal Salvador? I just can't really see a situation where I would need eight strings. It would be cool to hear about some artists using these.

• Members

Here's Charlie Hunter on a little different 8 string

lOycpHrQcDs

Archived