Best music recordings you've ever heard?

UstadKhanAli

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yes! Astro-Creep! With the the hyphen I left out. :smileywink:

I really like "Real Solution #9" also.

I have remix disc of it too- Supersexy Swingin Sounds- that's pretty cool...and it has "I'm Your Boogie Man" at the end!! Haha!

Sad that White Zombie broke up. One of those deals where by the time they got there, they couldn't stand each other. In the studio separately, on tour with Rob in his own bus. I have Rob's next band's disks as well, and they just don't do it for me as much...save for a few tracks with Tommy Lee on drums.

• 11 months later...
  • Members

I think I may throw in Ed Gerhard's "Luna" album, which sounds like he is playing next to you while the two of you are sitting in a large hall. Absolutely gorgeous solo acoustic guitar playing, really beautiful beautiful stuff, and a stunning recording. You can hear all the stuff...his movement, everything, in a gloriously detailed way, extremely musical, and very well done. Excellent.

• Members
In seminars, I cite Tom Petty's "Damn the Torpedoes" as an example of a "translatable" mix that sounds good over just about anything.

I have to disagree about Gabirel's So, though. I think it's a great recording ruined by the mastering.

Finally someone else I can agree with about So. To my ear there's a glassy, overly transparent, thinned out quality to it that is to solid analog recording like watercolors are to oil paints.

This recording of Brad Mehldau's "When It Rains", and the song itself, just sends me into the Great Wonderful - that piano! those drums! that warm, thumpy standup bass! each member of the horns and sax so distinct! puts my whole body/mind/soul into alignment (for 6:38)

This YT, the best quality I could find, doesn't do it justice...check out a full CD-quality version...but nevertheless:

[video=youtube_share;CSYFp1dxu3U]

nat whilk ii

• Members
In seminars, I cite Tom Petty's "Damn the Torpedoes" as an example of a "translatable" mix that sounds good over just about anything.

I have to disagree about Gabirel's So, though. I think it's a great recording ruined by the mastering.

Maybe, but I really love the way it's recorded. And jeeez, those songs. And those sounds. And those performances.

And I always thought "Damn the Torpedoes" sounded great. Everywhere. On anything.

• Members
What's the best recorded music you've ever heard in terms of sound quality? It doesn't have to be your favorite music or even something that you like, although of course, it usually is. But what is the best sounding music recordings you've ever heard?

Only two records come to mind that sound so beautiful that the sound itself actually matches the music on it.

The Rudy van Gelder recordings come to mind. Especially some of the work he did with John Coltrane… A Love Supreme which I consider one of the greatest moments of recorded audio history.

Another meticulous sounding record is Pink Floyd`s Dark Side of the Moon. When I listened to it on headphones for the 1st time, I was completely caught off guard by the beauty of it. It was the first time I ever listened to a rock record and experienced the divine.

• Members

Only two records come to mind that sound so beautiful that the sound itself actually matches the music on it.

The Rudy van Gelder recordings come to mind. Especially some of the work he did with John Coltrane… A Love Supreme which I consider one of the greatest moments of recorded audio history.

Another meticulous sounding record is Pink Floyd`s Dark Side of the Moon. When I listened to it on headphones for the 1st time, I was completely caught off guard by the beauty of it. It was the first time I ever listened to a rock record and experienced the divine.

Those are all really magical recordings, with DSOTM being a rather ambitious one.

Archived