Best music recordings you've ever heard?

UstadKhanAli

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The musicians are all maestros of their genres too, which helps. But ya, really great recordings. I've played BVSC on umpteen systems over the years, reference headphones etc., and can't hear a single thing that I'd grumble about.

Agreed. And yes, those are top-notch musicians, so that makes such a difference. Still, the way it was recorded indicates beautiful choices.

• Members

I realize this will come across as totally egotistical, but bear with me...the Kathleen Macintosh CD I recorded of Bach harpsichord pieces is one of the best recordings I've heard. But, here's why it's not just an ego trip:

Perfectly maintained and tuned instrument. That was huge.

Kathleen is a phenomenal player.

The room was one of the best I've ever used - rosewood panels

Gefell mics on the instrument

Really quiet room mics (Rodes - not the best mics of all time but the quietest, and perfect for the room)

Recorded at 96kHz with Earthworks and Great River preamps, tracking with Pro Tools

Transferred the digital files over to Sonar for 64-bit resolution when editing

So really, all I had to do was place the mics properly (okay, I'll take credit for that) and click on record (I'll also take credit for knowing where to click). The rest took care of itself :)

My job wasn't to make a great recording, everything was already great - my job was not to screw it up.

• Members

I realize this will come across as totally egotistical, but bear with me...the Kathleen Macintosh CD I recorded of Bach harpsichord pieces is one of the best recordings I've heard. But, here's why it's not just an ego trip:

Perfectly
maintained and tuned instrument. That was huge.

Kathleen is a phenomenal player.

The room was one of the best I've ever used - rosewood panels

Gefell mics on the instrument

Really quiet room mics (Rodes - not the best mics of all time but the quietest, and perfect for the room)

Recorded at 96kHz with Earthworks and Great River preamps, tracking with Pro Tools

Transferred the digital files over to Sonar for 64-bit resolution when editing

So really, all I had to do was place the mics properly (okay, I'll take credit for that) and click on record (I'll also take credit for knowing where to click). The rest took care of itself
:)

My job wasn't to make a great recording, everything was
already
great - my job was not to screw it up.

Egomaniac!!! :D

That was a good recording.

I really like some of my recordings, but I'm not ready to compare mine favorably with the greatest recordings of all time.

• Members

Egomaniac!!!
:D

That was a good recording.

I really like some of my recordings, but I'm not ready to compare mine favorably with the greatest recordings of all time.

I understand that, I can only compare what I did to other harpsichord recordings. But I will say that several classical music reviewers stated it was the best harpsichord recording they'd ever heard, so while that's admittedly a pretty small universe, I've decided to believe them :)

But really, the main point was that the excellence in the recording was about the instrument, the player, the room, and the gear...not me. Anyone who knew where to put the mics would have produced the same results. It's a lot harder to produce an excellent recording where you have multiple instruments, leakage, overdubs, and all that.

I guess the other point is that often, simpler is better because there are fewer things to screw up :)

• Members

I could not agree more. This really so often seems true about recording in general. How many of us have made these complicated recordings in terms of microphone setup, triggering, etc., only to go eventually return to simple techniques, such as 2-3 mics on a drum kit or putting a single dynamic mic in front of a guitar amp again?

• 1 year later...
  • Members

I've mentioned the album before in 'best sounding' threads but I'm listening to it now on my good speakers over my good converters and, holy hannah, the very first song on the first Nilsson album ("Ten Little Indians") sounds drop dead AMAZING!

This non-HD YT 'vid' doesn't do it sonic justice but maybe it'll whet some appetites to hear it in a better version. (I own the vinyl but was just listening to the 320kbps MOG stream, which sounds, like I say, great.) Not sure what quality/bitrate the Spotify track for it is. (Too bad Spot had to back off on their initial promise of all-320kbps; it's apparently a real crapshoot, quality-wise. Thank goodness for MOG, soon, though, they say, to become Beats Music. Hopefully, they'll keep the stream quality high and not muck with the core service too much. (That said, the player could stand a thorough redesign and feature-add!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N9TCnifKdM

• Members

blue2blue wrote:

I've mentioned the album before in 'best sounding' threads but I'm listening to it now on my good speakers over my good converters and, holy hannah, the very first song on the first Nilsson album ("Ten Little Indians") sounds drop dead AMAZING!

This non-HD YT 'vid' doesn't do it sonic justice but maybe it'll whet some appetites to hear it in a better version. (I own the vinyl but was just listening to the 320kbps MOG stream, which sounds, like I say, great.) Not sure what quality/bitrate the Spotify track for it is. (Too bad Spot had to back off on their initial promise of all-320kbps; it's apparently a real crapshoot, quality-wise. Thank goodness for MOG, soon, though, they say, to become Beats Music. Hopefully, they'll keep the stream quality high and not muck with the core service too much. (That said, the player could stand a thorough redesign and feature-add!)

The whole box set that was just released is wonderfully remastered. Highly rec'd!!

• Members

Pretty much all the Steely Dan albums were recorded really well.  Roger Nichols really had it goin' on...

A little-known christian pop band called Out of the Grey have outstanding sound too.  

Their album I was thinking of is 'Gravity'.

I have an old Lightnin' Hopkins LP from '69 that has the best sounding drums I ever heard on a recording.  It's just him (guitar & singing) plus a drummer, nothing else.

• Members

UstadKhanAli wrote:

What's the best recorded music you've ever heard in terms of sound quality? It doesn't have to be your favorite music or even something that you like, although of course, it usually is. But what is the best sounding music recordings you've ever heard?

Beach Boys Pet Sounds album... and about anything by Abba.

• Members

Too many to have a favorite.

Anything on Steely Dan's "Aja".

A lot of Bruce Cockburn stuff like "Creation Dream" ...nice balance of acoustic guitar, bass, drums, vocal, etc. in a very clean up front recording.

For the time....Frank Sinatra Sings The Select Cole Porter w/ Nelson Riddle.

When G.Benson came out with "Breezin'" a lot of home audio sales were using it to demo because it made even cheap systems sound pretty good.

and......

• Members

I have to agree with most of the selections here. I love Bill Evans, and in addition to the Everybody Digs Bill Evans, the Interplay album is excellent and the much later Sesjun Sessions. I also love My Spanish Heart By Chick Corea. Another absolutley stunning sounding album is Joshua Judges Ruth by Lyle Lovett. And I've listened over and over to the Mercury Living Presence recording of Petrushka.

• Members

One song I like to use to test speakers (and just plain like) is the Fame '90s remix by Bowie/Lennon - so radically different from the original vinyl, and the bass will definitely chump-check your woofers.

On the underrated album side, I'd be tempted to choose Paul McCartney's Ram - it's just got so damn much atmosphere, it's like he's sitting on a stool in my listening room. (I'm thinking particularly of Heart of the Country and 3 Legs.)

I'd second Michael Hedges, but I'm going to say Leo Kottke's Standing in My Shoes.

Chris

• 5 weeks later...

Archived