Semi O/T : What keeps you coming back to a guitar shop/music store?

geek_usa

• Members

Just a little census here.

Obviously in today's economy, there are a few nice noble people which adamantly support mom and pop shops, but those people are decreasing as other costs rise. All of us can hardly resist walking into Guitar Center and walking out without buying something (though some of you have more self control than me). What is it about say, Guitar Center, that makes you want to buy gear? Whether it be strings, picks, sticks, amps, a new guitar... is it the prices? The atmosphere? The friendly service (only applicable in some locations...)? Selection?

I'll be honest and say 9 times out of 10 I'd be more apt to buy strings or sticks in bulk online, save a bundle and then have them shipped to my door from an online distributor. That doesn't make me a horrible person, it just makes me cost-conscious.

When a store doesn't have the prices you are looking for, do you walk out? Or is there some other element that keeps you coming back again and again?

thanks for your time guys

• Members

service. as you said, i can buy anything i want on the internet. but i need places that can do a full setup (or more) when i need it, or to fix an amp. maybe i want to dump some equipment and i can get a better deal selling it to the store or placing it on consignment than i can on Craigslist. any stock they might have is an added bonus.

• Members

I only shop at my Mom and Pop cause they always give me a good discount, and free setups for a year on any new guitar that i get from them, and they always perform service at a fair price and pretty quick turnaround. I've given them alot of business and they take care of me when they can...for example, I ordered a guitar once and did not have the $ for the matching case at the time, they ordered it for me and let me take it home with the case and pay them when i came up with the cash....(see if GC will do that)..may not seem like a big deal, but thats what will make a customer come back...I know the owner and deal mostly with him, but all the other people in the store know me by name. It makes for a better experience....hey they cant give the stuff away to me, but they cut me a break when they can and in return i keep comming back....win/win.

• Members

1) Do they have instruments and gear I want to play?

2) Quality of the staff - are the helpful and friendly without being too pushy? Are they good about letting me try things without giving me the "are you serious about buying it" line.

I bought my LP from George's Music on I4 (in Orlando) a couple years ago because I must have tried two dozen guitars there over a six month period before deciding. I saw the same salesman most of the time. He pulled guitars down off the top rack, never gave me a sales job, and was super friendly and helpful the whole time. They acted like they wanted my business. Plus, I'm very hesitant to spend $2000+ on a guitar without having my hands on it first, so it was important to me to buy from a brick & mortar store. I tried several LP Traditionals, but only bought mine because it was *the* one.

Every so often I'll trek the four hours up to Andy's Guitars in Tallahassee because they have a huge selection of in-stock Suhr guitars, as well as other really nice gear. The salesmen I've dealt with there have been really good letting me play a dozen guitars over the course of 2-3 hours. Never any weird looks or sales pitchy stuff. I ended up ordering my Suhr through them because of that, even though I could have saved a little money ordering online.

I go to my local Sam Ash for random gear (picks, cables, strings) because the staff at mine is very friendly. I've picked up quite a few shipping boxes there, no hassles, and tried out tons of guitars and amps. It's always been a great experience and I want to keep them in business.

I buy stuff online, too, particularly when Elderly has their 50% string sale, but I like brick & mortar shops. It's fun to browse the guitars even if I only need strings.

• Members

I buy most of my accessories online. Amazon (as of this time, could change in Sept in CA) free shipping no tax 2 day PRIME delivery even for just a set of strings.

My Mom and Pop Grayson's in Montrose have gotten my money on setups, string changes, pickup changes and they did all of the work on my Fake Les Paul, installing all of the upgrades, so far $500 worth of work, much better profit margin than selling a guitar to me.

Although I bought the Gibson Classic 57/57plus off Craigslist, if at that moment I need a switchcraft selector switch, pots, etc. I will buy that from them. For that kind of stuff I'm not as knowledgeable so I ask what the tech recommends and then I buy it. The F'd up CA sales tax and whatever they charge is the price for his knowledge.

I hate giving any money to CA if I don't have to.

I've bought some guitars and a Champ 600 amp from them but I generally buy my Guitars off CL, Ebay, GC if they give me the "bro" deal and for many years Musicians Friend and Music123 but I've pretty much crossed off the last three due to CA Sales Tax.

• Members

For me it's all about selection and friendliness of staff. I'm looking for unusual brands or models, like say a Reverend or something. If I want a MIM strat, there's always Guitar Center.

If the employees are music/gear snobs, I usually don't go back.

• Members

I actually like the social interaction at GC. At two of the stores I know just about every employee including the managers there. They all know me on a first name basis; many on a full name basis...;)

I have spent a lot of dinero there.

• Members
I actually like the social interaction at GC. At two of the stores I know just about every employee including the managers there. They all know me on a first name basis; many on a full name basis...
;)

I have spent a lot of dinero there.

Yeah, I don't know why GC has such a bad rep. Most of the people that I've encountered that work there are pretty cool.

• Members

I like gear. I like to go to the stores that have ths MOST of it and let me play it as much as I want, as long as I want without giving me the slightest bit of a hassle over it, not hovering over me or making me feel like there is a time limit for touching the stuff or like I am just some riff raff getting ready to break it. Also, I like stores that have just about any accessory I need when I need it.

This translates into megastores for me.

Mom and pop stores just can't touch this ability. The absolute WORST thing they can possibly say to me, as if they are doing me some huge favor, bending over backwards is, "we don't have that right now but we can order it for you!!", all cheery like they are awaiting what is certainly about to be my imediate outcry of joy over my unbelievable good fortune that they can order it for me. This is almost an insult to my intelligence. You can order it huh? Wow! Thanks for going the extra mile for me! My freekin DOG can order it too, but somehow I am some sort of babbling idiot with a surgically attatched droolbucket that I need YOU to order it for me? Seriously? I can let you order it for me or I can just walk across the street and get it right NOW from GC. Why don't you go ahead and order an entire guitar center and then I'd be happy to come checkout your store. Till then, I'll be over at Sam ash playing dozens of in stock instruments you not only dont have but have never even seen before.

There is not one single mom and pop shop on Earth I would feel a loss over the closing of, but I would be pretty bummed if I didn't live within driving distance of a Sam Ash or Guitfiddle Center.

If anyone wants to interpret this as sad, then ok, offer me in a mom and pop store what the megastores can and I'll be a customer but until then, I guess you'll just have to remain sad. I'll be at GC trying dozens of guitars.

• Members
offer me in a mom and pop store what the megastores can and I'll be a customer

Andy's Guitars in Tallahasse has a dozen Suhrs in stock, as well as Brubakers, Trussarts, Carr amps, and lots of other great gear, and they let you try it out for hours without a sales pitch (assuming you don't act like an idiot). I've yet to see a megastore offer that kind of selection of high-end gear. I suppose there's the Hollywood GC... Mostly, though, these stores simply cater to different markets and that's great. I like my local Sam Ash, too, but I'm glad there's a store like Andy's within driving distance.

• Members

Andy's Guitars in Tallahasse has a dozen Suhrs in stock, as well as Brubakers, Trussarts, Carr amps, and lots of other great gear,
and
they let you try it out for hours without a sales pitch (assuming you don't act like an idiot). I've yet to see a megastore offer that kind of selection of high-end gear. I suppose there's the Hollywood GC... I like my local Sam Ash, too, but I'm glad there's a store like Andy's within driving distance.

I live near the Hollywood GC. While they do have some high-end stuff, they still don't carry the kind of stuff you might find at a store like True-Tone in Santa Monica. They do have a pretty big vintage selection, but i can't say if their prices are fair or not.

• Members

I don't buy much at GC. I've gone in there with a $20 promotional gift card, and left an hour later frustrated and empty handed. (surprising poor selection of anything to buy under $20, and then their machine was down, and I waited for 45 minutes with a cable I didn't even need and got terrible customer service. Ultimately I just walked out.)

M&P shops are good only if they carry a nice selection of used gear, or new gear that isn't available at GC or online at MF, etc.

• Members

i have 2 stores on the same street about 5 miles apart

gc: more used gear, nobody bothers you

m&p: better selection, more high-end gear (surh, barber, dr z)

gc bad: gear on the floor is beat up

m&p bad: they ask you constantly if youre "doing ok?"

• Members
Andy's Guitars in Tallahasse has a dozen Suhrs in stock, as well as Brubakers, Trussarts, Carr amps, and lots of other great gear,
and
they let you try it out for hours without a sales pitch (assuming you don't act like an idiot). I've yet to see a megastore offer that kind of selection of high-end gear. I suppose there's the Hollywood GC... Mostly, though, these stores simply cater to different markets and that's great. I like my local Sam Ash, too, but I'm glad there's a store like Andy's within driving distance.

I play for a living. I buy decent gear but I'm not a rockstar. I have no more interest in a multithousand dollar guitar or a boutique amp than I have in growing a third nipple. I'm glad those places exist for the people that enjoy them. But that is simply not my market, my reality or my interest.

• Members

Yeah, I don't know why GC has such a bad rep. Most of the people that I've encountered that work there are pretty cool.

I've gotten some great (below cost deals, always like to bring up my 1958 Les Paul Cherryburst Custom Shop Les Paul - $1800) deals from GC.

I like the Hollywood store a lot, CAT is the MAN!

I'm rarely hassled or followed around by a zealous salesperson.

• Members

I live near the Hollywood GC. While they do have some high-end stuff, they still don't carry the kind of stuff you might find at a store like True-Tone in Santa Monica. They do have a pretty big vintage selection, but i can't say if their prices are fair or not.

I hate True Tone. I'd rather buy from Sweetwater online than from them. Bad interaction with the owner. He's a jerk. I agree they do have good selection but to me they would only be useful as a showroom to try gear out and then buy online. I know I'm in the minority on this because the majority love TT.

Santa Monica is in the news lately for their new parking meters that go back to 0 once you leave the space. Also Santa Monica has the highest Sales Tax rate in the Los Angeles area maybe even the state. 9.25%

Are they actively encouraging people to buy online?

Many people are comparing California to Greece. That comparison is not far off.

• Members

1) Do they have instruments and gear I want to play?

2) Quality of the staff - are the helpful and friendly without being too pushy? Are they good about letting me try things without giving me the "are you serious about buying it" line..

This.

Interesting stock accessible to try.

If I walk in and the staff notice, ask if I need help and if I say no, leave me alone.

If I say yes, they know enough to actually help.

We have several like that here. Local musicians hang out in them.

We also have a high end main dealer whose staff are about 18, ignorant and spend their time shredding badly and loudly on the stock. Even the girl at the register behind the counter cannot get their attention.

• Members

I hate True Tone. I'd rather buy from Sweetwater online than from them. Bad interaction with the owner. He's a jerk. I agree they do have good selection but to me they would only be useful as a showroom to try gear out and then buy online. I know I'm in the minority on this because the majority love TT.

I mention True-tone to talk about choice and selection. I did purchase a guitar there and had a very nice experience, but most times when I walk in I feel a bit intimidated. That might just be my low guitar-self-esteem. I kind of suck at this.

There's an acoustic only store in Echo Park called "The Fretted Frog." Great guys, nice atmosphere and a selection of guitars that GC doesn't even carry online. That's a better analogy here.

• Members

To date I have been able to maintain/setup my guitars on my own, so tech service isn't a factor. Its about the shopping experience:

1) Selection - if a shop doesn't have anything I'm interested in, I'm not coming back, no matter how nice the guys are
2) Service - if I'm not treated with respect and don't feel comfortable in the store, I'm not coming back. I can find somewhere else to buy my gear. I'm getting old enough (25) where this isn't an issue anymore, but as a younger player, it was frustrating to be treated as a second class customer when in fact I sometimes WAS serious about buying something.

Archived