Best Beatle Song Ever?

onelife

• Members

This is not a poll to try and pick the best song but a question about this song.

When the Beatles went to iTuns, it was the most downloaded of all their songs.

when I hear it like this, it reinforces what a great song it is.

[video=youtube;B1RxdeqxF-U]

• Members

What makes it especially amazing is the equipment, or lack thereof, they had back then. Wow. Harrison's music resonated with me more than the other Beatles. He had a sort of melancholic joy to his music.

• Members

It must have been frustrating being a songwriter in a band with Lennon and McCartney and, as he put it, "we had to wade through fifteen Maxwell's Silver Hammer's before they would listen to one of mine" but at the same time, it would have tremendous advantages.

The fist song Harrison ever wrote was on a Bealtes album and listened to by millions of people.

In order to get his songs on the albums, they had to be good songs so he learned to write good songs. I think with "Something" and "Here Comes the Sun" he showed that he could write with the best of them.

• Members

What makes it especially amazing is the equipment, or lack thereof, they had back then. Wow. Harrison's music resonated with me more than the other Beatles. He had a sort of melancholic joy to his music.

I think the quality of the equipment was better then than it is now. Everything is being made on the cheap now but technology from the 60's (think Fender Amps) is still rock solid.

The technology is different and, unless you've experienced 2" tape at 30ips, you my think digital sounds better than tape because, per dollar spent it is, but EMI was state of the art at the time and they had great engineers and producers.

• Members

I think it is interesting that, even though this was not meant to be a list of everyone's favorite fab tune, Sir Paul with all his songwriting genius has yet to get one of his mentioned in this thread (although I'll give him credit for about 8 hours of "A Day In The Life").

• Members

George Harrison's music in The Beatles, especially the later stuff, just seemed a little soft for me. He's a great writer, sure, but if he's using "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" as some kind of a subpar Beatles song, that kind of proves the point what he was up against in that band, because honestly I like that Silver Hammer song more than all but like maybe three or four of George's songs.

My favorite Beatles songs are ultimately the songs that they seemed to really have a blast on. The early hits are great. "This Boy" is a stand out IMO. Largely I prefer the earlier stuff. My favorits Beatles song overall, though, is "Oh! Darling."

• Members

George Harrison's music in The Beatles, especially the later stuff, just seemed a little soft for me. He's a great writer, sure, but if he's using "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" as some kind of a subpar Beatles song, that kind of proves the point what he was up against in that band, because honestly I like that Silver Hammer song more than all but like maybe three or four of George's songs.

I don't disagree with you at all except that I don't think he was referring to Maxwell as a sup-par song. After all, John Lennon said McCartney wrote "songs about nothing" which I think is true but they are great songs and great records - "Hello Goodbye" comes to mind. I think Harrison was referring to the process of learning songs which you can see during the "Bang! Bang!" sequence early in the "Let It Be" movie.

Harrison has often commented on how good the Lennon/McCartney songs are. I think he was fortunate to be part of those songs and the songs benefited from his bits.

• Members

I think the quality of the equipment was better then than it is now. Everything is being made on the cheap now but technology from the 60's (think Fender Amps) is still rock solid.

Highly debatable. There is a lot of cheap equipment now but not "everything" is made cheap these days. High end equipment these days still cost more than a car. And it doesn't take a lot of money to get stuff that kills 50s/60s stuff in terms of SNR and fidelity. I don't think microphones have improved too much, as much as they've changed in flavor. But actual recording equipment is much better today than the 60s.

The technology is different and, unless you've experienced 2" tape at 30ips, you my think digital sounds better than tape because, per dollar spent it is, but EMI was state of the art at the time and they had great engineers and producers.

Listen to a good modern classical recording made in digital and tell me that old classical recordings sound better. I dare you.

The real issue is that a lot of modern engineers don't really care about sound quality and only care about volume. That's operator error, nothing wrong with the equipment.

• Members

Yeah like all of three people who have named songs, two of them aren't even talking about real Beatles songs, and you comment that Sir Paul hasn't been mentioned yet.
Come on.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of McCarney. I think he has amazing talent and found the perfect outlet for it but this was supposed to be a thread about "Here Comes the Sun" - I chose an inappropriate thread title.

Highly debatable. There is a lot of cheap equipment now but not "everything" is made cheap these days. High end equipment these days still cost more than a car. And it doesn't take a lot of money to get stuff that kills 50s/60s stuff in terms of SNR and fidelity. I don't think microphones have improved too much, as much as they've changed in flavor. But actual recording equipment is much better today than the 60s.

The high end equipment back then was very good just as it is today. What I'm saying is that, back then there were not a lot of options available for recording albums and most of them used the high end gear. Today we can produce music very easily on the cheap and a lot of the results are not good.

Listen to a good modern classical recording made in digital and tell me that old classical recordings sound better. I dare you.

The real issue is that a lot of modern engineers don't really care about sound quality and only care about volume. That's operator error, nothing wrong with the equipment.

Again, I agree with you. The engineers knew how to deal with the limitations of tape and they worked to get the best they could out of the medium. If the engineers put the same effort into a recording today, then I'm sure we would here the advantages of the new technology.

My original comment was regarding equipment in the 60s not being bey good. Raymond Scott was making great sounding record in the 30s and 40s because he knew what he was doing and how to get the most from the equipment. The same thing happened with George Martin, Geoff Emerick and the Beatles.

• Members

A Day in the Life. I remember first hearing that when I was about 6 - me and my brother found this thrown away, dusty covered album in a cub scout hut, and put it on. It completely freaked me out, and still sends shivers down my spine.

• Members

That norwegian wood song is wonderful. I spent about 4 hours today trying to record one riff. Most of that time was spent battleing latency and then ableton crapped out on me completely and i had to restart the pc and download a bunch of stuff. I'm still missing a ton of drum samples that went poof when I "upgraded" to the latest version. Makes me wish I could afford a vintage 4 track and a giant mixing board.

love the opening piano riff on this. If they kept jammin on it they could have invented metal:rawk:

[video=youtube;0WBelmO65J4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WBelmO65J4&feature=BFa&list=PL7B857138EFA10116

• Members

I'm always impressed by the arrangement of 'Here Comes the Sun'. There's a LOT going on although it never seems cluttered. It's impossible for me to choose a 'best' Beatles' song, however lately I've been enjoying 'She Said, She Said' from Revolver. I dig the guitar interplay and Lennon's lyrics and vocals . Geoff Emerick writes in "Here There and Everywhere' that the track was hastily done but you could have fooled me.

• Members

Can't pick one. Too much brilliance in too many forms...

But recently I've been spinning this one a lot...

[video=youtube;ZNfuTDbdKoY]

The vocal melody is just amazing....

On the surface it feels like good jangly pop...and it is...but it's so much deeper than that....there is a melancholy moodiness to this song...and I don't just mean the lyrics...the chord progression, the lennon part...it's a heavy song disguised as pop.

• Members

My favorite Beatles story is about the first album, Please Please Me. They recorded the whole thing in one day, and John Lennon had a cold. They saved "Twist and Shout" because they knew John Lennon wouldn't have a voice afterward. They did one take, and they wanted to do a second take, but John Lennon's voice was gone. After all, they'd been in the studio for hours, he had a cold, and have you heard his voice on the recording? What you hear on the recording is John giving his all for the sake of rock 'n roll.

• Members

It changes from day to day, but I never get tired of 'We Can Work It Out.'

The Beatles were a supreme example of the importance of the songwriting/performance over gear lust.

When asked 'what is your dream guitar?' my answer is 'the one that I compose music on that will still be listened to after I'm gone.

Archived