Best Beatle Song Ever?

onelife

• Members

I'll cheat and say that the double A-side of "Penny Lane" / "Strawberry Fields Forever" is my favorite. "A Day in the Life is up there, too.

That said, George's songs rank very high in the Beatles' catalog for me - "Taxman," "Something," "If I Needed Someone," "While My Guitar Gently Weeps," and of course "Here Comes the Sun."

• Members

it's tough to say, it changes with me depending on the mood I am in. I keep coming back to these three though

[video=youtube;F3RYvO2X0Oo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3RYvO2X0Oo

I just can't find any fault in this tune.

[video=youtube;IrW7dlDHH28]

This one really gets going at about 1:09 after a great intro and then ends nicely

[video=youtube;P-Q9D4dcYng]

This song reminds me of McCartney's Band on the Run from his Wings days, it's more or less two separate tunes that don't seem to fit together, but each kick ass.

• Members

Again, I apologize for the thread title - it wasn't meant to be a "what's your favorite fab tune?" thread but "after you listen to the video in the OP, do You Think 'Here Comes The Sun' could be the best Beatle song ever?"

Thanks for that

ooops - my bad, your originally tune is chock full of greatness and the lost solo would have added to it! I will go sit in the corner with the Dunce hat on.

*EDIT* It is amusing to watch folks tinkering with the song on a massive multi-track board like that when considering what it was originally recorded on!

• Members

I'm always impressed by the arrangement of 'Here Comes the Sun'. There's a LOT going on although it never seems cluttered. It's impossible for me to choose a 'best' Beatles' song, however lately I've been enjoying 'She Said, She Said' from Revolver. I dig the guitar interplay and Lennon's lyrics and vocals . Geoff Emerick writes in "Here There and Everywhere' that the track was hastily done but you could have fooled me.

I think "Here Comes The Sun" is an amazing piece of work - both the song and the recording

Sometime those hastily done projects like "She Said..." turn out to be great because of the spontaneity

• Members

There is so much in the Beatles music that I can usually find an example of amy musical concept I am trying to teach and most people are familiar with the songs.

One of my guitar students is originally from Columbia where she learned and spoke Spanish. She listened to Beatles when she was younger but did not understand the English words but was able to connect with the strong melodies and the instrumental parts. She really likes the music and knows most, if not all, of the songs.

One day we were discussing the difference between the Maj7 and the Dominant7 chords so I thought "Something" would be a good example of that along with the descending bass line in the Am part. We were playing the song with me singing and when it came to the guitar solo, she vocalized it with incredible nuance and it made me appreciate the fabs from yet another perspective.

I did not realize how much the lyric can affect your perception of music. I used to think the French music coming out of Quebec was quite different but now I understand that a lot of it because I was listening differently.

• Members

And Your Bird Can Sing - has everything, vocals, guitar, bass line...

There's a legend that Jow Walsh painstakingly spent years trying to figure out the guitar solo to that song. After accomplishing it he met George Harrison praising him as one of the greatest guitarists that ever lived to create and execute such a complex solo. George simply told him that it was two tracks. George went on to opine that it would be pretty impossible to play that on one guitar.

• Members

... George went on to opine that it would be pretty impossible to play that on one guitar.

Unless you were Joe Walsh who actually did perform that song with one guitar.

I think that happens a lot - although maybe not as much as it did since the advent of so much video - where someone creates something musically using one technique and someone else learns it but is unaware of the original technique. They develop their own way of playing it which then leads to new techniques and the cycle continues.

For example, I studied Ritchie Blackmore during the Deep Purple era but I did not realize how much of what he played was with a slide. The way I bend strings now is a product of Ritchie's slide work but I did not realize it until I started watching some of the Blackmore's Night videos on YouTube.

2225029746_e3f57526a1.jpg

• Members

While there are a lot of Beatles songs I really like, I'm completely burned out on the Beatles...have been for 10 years and each booth they got from "1" and the reissues just wear it down even more. I've heard them so many times, they bore me. If I never, ever hear another Beatles tune, I'll be fine.

... with the exception of George's tunes, the only ones that don't make me reach for the radio dial (except Something...that's gotten old too). I also prefer George's stuff over the other post-Beatles solo carers -- with the exception of "Photograph," which may be ... quite possibility ... the most solid, best produced, most well-rounded solo Beatle record made.

Now the Stones and Kinks were less consistent than the Beatles, but I think because they were rocker, they don't wear me down like the Beatles Pop stuff.

• Members

There is more of George on "Photograph" than you might think.

The man was a reluctant rock star who was more about the music and helping his friends than he was about credit and fame. "It Don't Come Easy" is all George yet Ringo gets the sole writing credit with the accompanying royalties.

• Members

Slightly OT, but to me the amazing thing about The Beatles is that I think both Lennon and McCartney are very poor songwriters. I'll put 'All Things Must Pass' as MILES better than anything either John or Paul did post-Beatles. In fact, there are about four Lennon or McCartney post-Beatles songs that I think are any good at all, and really not very good.

But somehow they perfectly captured the spirit of the 60's and made magic.

• Members

Slightly OT, but to me the amazing thing about The Beatles is that I think both Lennon and McCartney are very poor songwriters. I'll put 'All Things Must Pass' as MILES better than anything either John or Paul did post-Beatles. In fact, there are about four Lennon or McCartney post-Beatles songs that I think are any good at all, and really not very good.

But somehow they perfectly captured the spirit of the 60's and made magic.

A lot of the material on "All Thins Must Pass" was rejected by the Beatles.

George Harrison was a very spiritual person who, by his association with the Beatles, was given the keys to the world and learned to write and record music to be listened to by the people of that world. He used that to provide us with a platform for our own spiritual journey. It was because of his music and the "Living in the Material World" album that inspired me to read the Gita for the first time.

Lennon was an angry young man with enough fire in his belly to put together a world class act and McCartney is a master of the pop tune. Neither of them were as deep as Harrison.

One of the great things about ATMP is that he was just planning to record the songs and put them out with no expectations simply because he had so many songs

• Members

Strawberry Fields Forever is my favorite. The orchestration on that one is sublime.

Engineering-wise, I marvel at Yellow Submarine. So many textures.

Yellow Submarine and Octopus's Garden get a bit of a bad rap because of the silly lyrics but those are great records.

The kick drum in YS sounds great and the guitar and backup vocals in OG are outstanding.

Archived