The Hollow Guitar

Elias Graves

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would be curious to try a Harmony RI. I have a couple of Hollow Harmony guitars that get most of my attention these days. I'm a little confused as to why they would reissue them though. I wasnt aware there was that big of a demand for Harmony guitars. You can normally pick them up pretty cheap.

Here's the Rocket (think 330)

l_5c1c771687b74602a5735dbf33ef70fd.jpg

and the archtop I stuck a Lollar humbucker on

l_855425f6ce3546d2adbd869a9da87499.jpg

• Members

They do have a followingg. I love my Silvertone.

$850 seems kinda high, though, for the reissues.

And of course, they have a poly finish.

And they don't come from Chicago.

EG

hmmm, do you know who is making them?

both of mine are from 1965. The pic of the Rocket is kind of small but its got a better bridge (fixed), bigsby, and new tuners. It might not be a great collector but it is a total players guitar. Including the Lollar pup, mounting hardware, etc on that other one, I might have $850 in both guitars

• Members

$153, well ya, it looks pretty cool

I'll let you know in the next couple of days what it plays like. The main reason I bought it is because it has a wider neck than most guitars (1.8" at the nut). I'll compare it to my Ibanez AG-75 and see how it does. But even if it needs some modification, that is fine with me since my plan is to customize it anyway. The first thing that's got to go is that pick guard.

• Members
I'll let you know in the next couple of days what it plays like. The main reason I bought it is because it has a wider neck than most guitars (1.8" at the nut). I'll compare it to my Ibanez AG-75 and see how it does. But even if it needs some modification, that is fine with me since my plan is to customize it anyway. The first thing that's got to go is that pick guard.

looks like one almost goes over the edge of the lower bout, almost.:)

• Members

Here is a Pro 6 String Hollow Body I just purchased. It should be here tomorrow. I only paid $153.00 for it so I'm interested to see what the quality will be like when I get it in my hands.

PRO6STRING-1.jpg

PRO6STRING-2.jpg

PRO6STRING-3.jpg

Here are my thoughts on this guitar.

Finish: Quite good; binding is excellent. 8/10

Neck : Very good, straight, truss rod, good inlays and side markers; fret wires a little rough on the end. 8.5/10

Pickups: Much better than I expected. I actually like them at least as good as my Ibanez AG-75. 8.5/10

Pots/Switches: Smooth, tight and responsive. 8.5/10

Tuners: OK but I'll be replacing them. They keep the guitar in tune but I want locking tuners. 6/10

Pickguard: I think it looks cheap but I know of guitars 6 times the price that use this style. 4/10

I had to play with the high E string to get it to wind around the tuning peg as it was cut a bit short.

The action was a bit low but other than that it played well right out of the box.

• Members

The mom & pop where I work just took on Austin guitars as an entry level line in the $150/$200 range.
I checked most of them in, acoustics & solid bodies, & was amazed at the quality of the builds for the money...all had good action, intonation etc.
I agree that we are in the golden age of the cheap guitar.

• Members
H503BS.jpg

Anybody try out the new Harmony reissues?

EG

Just got this less than an hour ago:

photo.jpg

I bought it new. It came in a sealed box, so I was surprised to see intonation being dead on with an incredible setup. Build quality is first rate. Weight is great and pickups are fantastic. Have not yet tried it with lots of distortion, which is not my style anyway. I was in a phase where I am trying to go down to one guitar, and I was successfully getting there, but just bought this on impulse with the intent of either returning it or playing it for a bit then selling it. If the immediate impression lasts, I don't think this guitar is going anywhere soon.

Archived