Blackmore Vs Uli Vs Malmsteen.

vikingrat

• Members

If you are into these guys who is your fave and why? Mine=

Blackmore= Great riffs and takes chances. Also kind of mean. His slide playing on the live version of Stargazer from Live In Europe is amazing. Also in listening back to Stranger In Us All he never got stale.

Uli= Besides his work with the Scorpions which i love, his first three albums are the perfect mix of Blackmoreish inspired rock with a Hendrix vibe.

Malmsteen= Love the early stuff but even then he would tend to repeat himself. I went back and listened to his Insiration album and although i like it it's sometimes way over the top. You?

• Members

I never get tired of Ritchie. There is a soulful element to his playing that really resonates with me. I still hear it in the acoustic stuff he is doing now.

When I was younger, I studied his playing in depth by playing the Deep Purple records at half speed - 16rpm is close enough to half of 33 1/3 - and have a great deal of respect for his ability. Think thing I like most about his playing, however, is the feeling he puts into it which seems a bit strange considering how aloof he looks during his shows. I've seen/heard videos from the current Purple lineup and the guitar doesn't really do it for me.

The first time I heard Malmsteen I was really impressed. It was like Blackmore meets Paganini but I didn't get the soulfulness from his stuff and I quickly grew tired of it. I respect his playing but I don't really like it.

I haven't listened to Uli enough to make a worthwhile comment.

• Members
I never get tired of Ritchie. There is a soulful element to his playing that really resonates with me. I still hear it in the acoustic stuff he is doing now.

When I was younger, I studied his playing in depth by playing the Deep Purple records at half speed - 16rpm is close enough to half of 33 1/3 - and have a great deal of respect for his ability. Think thing I like most about his playing, however, is the feeling he puts into it which seems a bit strange considering how aloof he looks during his shows. I've seen/heard videos from the current Purple lineup and the guitar doesn't really do it for me.

The first time I heard Malmsteen I was really impressed. It was like Blackmore meets Paganini but I didn't get the soulfulness from his stuff and I quickly grew tired of it. I respect his playing but I don't really like it.

I haven't listened to Uli enough to make a worthwhile comment.

I still don't know how Blackmore pulls of that fast motif in Spotlight Kid.

• Members
RB for sure. Never got into Uli and while I totally respect his skills I can only listen to Yngwie for like 5-10 minutes at a time...

It's weird because i never was that way with YJM until lately. I had Marching Out on last night and i just couldn't make it until the end. As much as i love what he can do there doesn't seem to be the depth of the other to. OT, you have heard the song Fight To The Finish by Ronnie/ Gamma right? I can't stop playing that Gamma comp and that song is just epic.

• Members

Blackmore is hands down my favorite. The other two have tighter chops, but Blackmore is no slouch in that department and he has a soulfulness the others lack. His catalog is more varied as well, and he is more open to taking chances. I really love his acoustic playing with Blackmore's Night.

• Members

It's weird because i never was that way with YJM until lately. I had Marching Out on last night and i just couldn't make it until the end. As much as i love what he can do there doesn't seem to be the depth of the other to. OT, you have heard the song Fight To The Finish by Ronnie/ Gamma right? I can't stop playing that Gamma comp and that song is just epic.

I was way more into Montrose than Gamma even though Gamma did some great stuff. Will need to look into that. My best Gamma story is that I fell asleep during their set at the Day On The Green with UFO, Kansas, .38 Special and REO.(What a weird lineup!) but it was due more to having stayed up all the previous night than anything Gammas was doing...

• Members

They are all great players! For me though it would be pretty close between Blackmore and Uli. I do prefer the old Scopians songs over Deep Purple though. When Blackmore really digs in though he is pretty hard to beat. YJM is just a little to much for me to handle at times.

• Members
They are all great players! For me though it would be pretty close between Blackmore and Uli. I do prefer the old Scopians songs over Deep Purple though. When Blackmore really digs in though he is pretty hard to beat. YJM is just a little to much for me to handle at times.

I was listening to Malmsteen do Gates Of Babylon and Sails Of Charon and it just was too much. It kind of took away from the song. I think my fave Malmsteen is Alcatrazz and the first solo disc.

• Members

I was listening to Malmsteen do Gates Of Babylon and Sails Of Charon and it just was too much. It kind of took away from the song. I think my fave Malmsteen is Alcatrazz and the first solo disc.

The other day on a whim I looked up his Alcatrazz stuff on youtube, and I have to say it was better than I expected. It just had more fire and better energy. He seemed to have lost something when he wrapped his Ferrari around a tree and put himself in a coma.

• Members
The other day on a whim I looked up his Alcatrazz stuff on youtube, and I have to say it was better than I expected. It just had more fire and better energy. He seemed to have lost something when he wrapped his Ferrari around a tree and put himself in a coma.

It's so hard to put his arival in perspective now. When he came out the scene was loaded with guitar tones that i really didn't care for. I was really into Blackmore etc. He had a great write up by Steve Rosen in Guitar World called The God With A Chip On His Shoulder. The picture of him with all these Blackmore looking Strats was awesome. He came out with a Strat while everyone else had the heavy overdrive sound. I heard him on tv on a show that used to follow SNL here in LA. The focus at first was on Gram but i could tell by that tone it was the Malmsteen guy. Even people who didn't play guitar or like hard rock were talking about him. I think you are on to something. His tone DID change after the crash.

• Members

It's so hard to put his arival in perspective now. When he came out the scene was loaded with guitar tones that i really didn't care for. I was really into Blackmore etc. He had a great write up by Steve Rosen in Guitar World called The God With A Chip On His Shoulder. The picture of him with all these Blackmore looking Strats was awesome. He came out with a Strat while everyone else had the heavy overdrive sound. I heard him on tv on a show that used to follow SNL here in LA. The focus at first was on Gram but i could tell by that tone it was the Malmsteen guy. Even people who didn't play guitar or like hard rock were talking about him. I think you are on to something. His tone DID change after the crash.

I know what you mean. I hear young players legitimately go "what's so great about Hendrix?", for example. A big part of what they lack is context, they don't really know the before and after. When Malmsteen came on the scene he played better than anyone else, had a better tone than everyone else, had a stage presence some would kill for, and had several things (such as using strats) that clearly set him apart from the crowd.

• Members
I know what you mean. I hear young players legitimately go "what's so great about Hendrix?", for example. A big part of what they lack is context, they don't really know the before and after. When Malmsteen came on the scene he played better than anyone else, had a better tone than everyone else, had a stage presence some would kill for, and had several things (such as using strats) that clearly set him apart from the crowd.

I just started digging Hendrix again. That album Concerts where he does Stone Free into Are You Experienced and a version of Hear My Train A Commin'. The fact that he could communicate like having a conversation on the guitar is why he's so amazing to me.

• Members

To be honest, all three of them have periods where they put out some of my very favorite playing and all three of them have an abundance of stuff I find completely unlistenable.

I'd have to say my very favorite record from any of them is Malmsteen's first album, Rising Force though Taken By Force and Made In Japan were very important to me as well.

• Members

While I appreciate, and like, Roth and Malmsteen, Richie is the guy I've always connected with. Great taste, perfect phrasing, and an awesome sense of rhythmic timing and memorable riff creating.

• Members

Ok, here we go, we got a real pressure cooker

going here, two down, nobody on, no score,

bottom of the ninth, there's the wind-up and

there it is, a line shot up the middle, look

at him go. This boy can really fly!

He's rounding first and really turning it on

now, he's not letting up at all, he's gonna

try for second; the ball is bobbled out in center,

and here comes the throw, and what a throw!

He's gonna slide in head first, here he comes, he's out!

No, wait, safe--safe at second base, this kid really

makes things happen out there.

Batter steps up to the plate, here's the pitch--

he's going, and what a jump he's got, he's trying

for third, here's the throw, it's in the dirt--

safe at third! Holy cow, stolen base!

He's taking a pretty big lead out there, almost

daring him to try and pick him off. The pitcher

glance over, winds up, and it's bunted, bunted

down the third base line, the suicide squeeze in on!

Here he comes, squeeze play, it's gonna be close,

here's the throw, there's the play at the plate,

holy cow, I think he's gonna make it!

WINNER- ULI JON ROTH (BLACKMORE MISSED THE TAG)

• Members

I picked up guitar because of Ritchie and Yngwie. The first Yngwie's album is a classic, it's so much more than speed and technique. As for Uli, the only album I care about is the Metamorphosis with the Sky Orchestra. Unbelievable touch, vibrato and tone. But yeah, If I have to pick one then it's gotta be Ritchie, though I always thought comparing musicians the way guitar players always do is a bit silly...

Archived