Do you unwind or cut?

geetgeek

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

How long does it take you do change strings? it always takes me longer that i think it would.. usually about 10-15 mins.

Not too long... 5 minutes, then a couple more to stretch them in. I've got pretty quick at it - I've taken the back plate off my Strat for easy access. I can easily change a broken string mid-set as long as someone else in the band has got a good joke to fill the space.

• Members

Works great if you still like dull sounding strings that are now clean.

It can help old strings intonate a little better by cleaning out the finger grunge from between the windings. But not really enough to bother with. Won't do a damn thing for plain strings.

• Members

My wife hates when I leave the remains of guitar strings laying around the house. She especially hates it when they are embedded in the carpet waiting to puncture a bare foot. I personally loosen, then cut them near the end where they are all bent from the post. I throw out the "ends", and then coil the rest of the string tightly so they don't come unwound in the trash can and stick through the side of the bag. It's a skill only a guitar player could appreciate.

This.

Also, I change one string at a time, with the guitar still tuned. I feel this keeps the tuning, intonation, relief, etc relatively unaffected.

• Members

why not just use the pair of wire cutters you've had for 20 years and buy the $2 winder instead?

Those cheap $2 winders always fell apart on me quite quickly, and wire cutters might be needed elsewhere. One of these will last you quite a while and can be kept either in your case or with the rest of your guitar-specific tools.

As far as the original question, I detune to take the tension off, then snip close to the nut. Leaves a long enough length to tie up and make it neat when you toss them, and leaves a long enough piece that you can easily take it out of the machine head.

• Members
^^ when I was working at an auto shop installing hitches I had asked if I could get a pair of side cutters to aid in some wire snipping. Not one person out of probably ten knew what side cutters were..

In my upbringing, they were always referred to as 'dykes', 'wire cutters' etc. I never heard the term 'side cutters' until I took a tech class.

I guess our 'tech' in question never had enough eye injuries to make a lasting impression.. :o

• Members

I take them off in one piece. Either one at a time, or for deep cleaning , all get loosened and then removed after they are all loose .
Cutting them so they snap is mildly dangerous and makes for too fast a tension change.
And as hard as it is to disengage the G-String from the machine head, the way I lock them, it is better to fight with it than have string ends all over the place.

• Members
My wife hates when I leave the remains of guitar strings laying around the house. She especially hates it when they are embedded in the carpet waiting to puncture a bare foot.

I've gotten numerous lectures from the lady about making sure to clean up when I'm changing strings. :facepalm: Even when I think I'm careful! She has hawk eyes...

I guess I'm a minority here who fully unwinds the strings and pulls them through the bridge...I've never even thought of cutting them, though I might start because they ALWAYS get caught where they've been wrapped around the pole and are all coiled...
Anyway, I'm left with entire strings, I gather them all up and tie them in a knot before disposing.

• Members

That sudden drop in string tension has got to be bad for the neck, I always unwind them.

I loosen them to make them safer to cut. Don't worry about the neck, it's no worse than doing dive bombs on a whammy bar.

• Members

why not just use the pair of wire cutters you've had for 20 years and buy the $2 winder instead?

The Planet Waves winder is great - the 'socket' fits both large and small tuning pegs - fits Strat tuners perfectly. The cheap ones rattle around and get loose quickly.

Having a wire-cutter attached is a bonus - I need one to cut strings to length for my vintage Strat tuners and I find it more convenient to have one tool instead of two. And it was only

Archived