Do you unwind or cut?

geetgeek

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

That sudden drop in string tension has got to be bad for the neck, I always unwind them.

Yup.

Read awhile back in Guitar World when Slash was recording "AFD" someone did that on one of his LPs.

The guitar "really didn't like it",at all...

OT,I've always unwound them,then cut.

The Slash story just reaffirmed it for me.

• Members

My wife hates when I leave the remains of guitar strings laying around the house. She especially hates it when they are embedded in the carpet waiting to puncture a bare foot. I personally loosen, then cut them near the end where they are all bent from the post. I throw out the "ends", and then coil the rest of the string tightly so they don't come unwound in the trash can and stick through the side of the bag. It's a skill only a guitar player could appreciate.

toss them in a water bottle.

1bottle.jpg

• Members

I usually just keep tuning up till they finally break.

Am I doing it wrong?

lol

I unwind completely and pull the end out from whence it came. I also coil the six strings together and put 'em in a string envelope for posterity.

• Members

FYI.

Something else I always do with metal strings I have taken off, before consigning them to the bin is I cut the bit of the core that goes around the "ball end" ferule (the bit that stops it pulling through its anchor point) and remove and keep this ferule as these make invaluable small spacers should the need ever arise. They could probably have dozens of other uses too, just seems a shame to junk 'em.

Cheers

J_N.

• Members

A friends dad told us tales of his bass player boiling his strings back in the day to "renew" them and save some dough. Haven't tried it myself but apparently it works.

I remember reading that EVH did that in the early VH days, thinking it would pre stretch the strings. :freak: -Adam

Archived