Show me your Warmoth builds

fretless

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Wowzers...some beauties here eh...can`t wait to get back to Canada to build something on my own....just don`t have the room here. Are there any more to keep this thread going?

well make sure you wait until you get back to Canada. I'm in Japan as well, and my warmoth used to be legal when I ordered it from the states back in the mid 90s. Now, what with nothing but endangered wood used (dalbergia baroni and dalbergia nigra), I would be too scared to try bringing it through customs.

Hell, the abalone in the fret markers is probably on the list by now... :mad:

• Members

I've posted this a few times, but to me, at least, it is a good story.

I was living in Manhattan in the early 2000's, and I was out walking my dog on a Thursday morning, which was trash day. All the high rise buildings would pile garbage on the sidewalk in front of the buildings waiting for the garbage trucks to come. It was some time in the fall, as it was sleeting. I saw the puke green color out of the corner of my eye in a trash pile, and I zeroed in on the fender factory color. I yanked the body out of a heap of garbage bags on 63rd street and york ave, and thought it might be an old strat body. I got it home, dried it off, and looked at it closely. It had a warmoth logo in the neck pocket, and looked pretty much the way it does now. I called warmoth who told me the logo was their first series logo used back in the mid 1980's. The wood looked like swamp ash.

I took it to work and dried it in a lab oven for a week or so, then decided to build a guitar around it. I found a thrift shop SRV profile neck for cheap, and I had the fender TS single coils. The bridge was attached to the guitar when I found it, but the other parts were aged in a nitric acid vapor bath in my laboratory to look old. I wired it up and loved it so much I never bothered to strip in and refinish it. I know in photos it looks like a shitty relic job, but up close it had really intricate wear details that makes me think it is just a heavily abused body. It weighs about 3.5 pounds and is super resonant, although it predates the hollow body era from warmoth, so it must just be a very light hunk of wood.

I'm almost embarrassed to post pics in this thread loaded with really nice builds, but it is all warmoth wood.

Anyway, I like it as is, and will leave it shit green/white/wood as it plays and sounds fantastic. At my house we call it the 'garbage guitar' or 'the trashacaster'. It is one of my favorite guitars, and I'd never sell it. The only negative is that it leaves green paint flecks wherever I play it.

DPP07DA0C18112123.jpg

DPP07DA0C18112207.jpg

• Members

Just curious why so many of the Warmoth Builders opt out on having the Warmoth Logo on the Headstock?

Personally I wouldn't put a Warmoth logo on my build because to me Warmoth a just a parts company like Dimarzio or Hipshot. I was the one who took the parts and made them into a guitar so if anything my name should be one it.

Back on topic I kinda like this pic of my build :)

warm2.jpg

• Members

Just curious why so many of the Warmoth Builders opt out on having the Warmoth Logo on the Headstock?

Maybe if warmoth wants to sponsor me, I'll slap a warmoth sticker on the guitar. Anybody else wants to rent some advertising space, that would be cool too.

• Members

Maybe if warmoth wants to sponsor me, I'll slap a warmoth sticker on the guitar. Anybody else wants to rent some advertising space, that would be cool too.

I wish I was good/important enough to consider being sponsored by a company like warmoth.

I really like my warmoth tele but I just use it to play music.

• Members

I wish I was good/important enough to consider being sponsored by a company like warmoth.

I really like my warmoth tele but I just use it to play music.

Well don't look at me if you think I'm worthy of that. But seriously, the company name on the guitar is just advertising. I paid my money, and the hell if I'm going to have my guitar festooned with manufacturer labels just so I can have them.

And that includes a sticker on the headstock.

wouldn't have fender on my fender if I had my druthers. Strangely enough, it affects resale values, so... well maybe one of these days the warmoth label will mean something more than "assembled by jeremy clarkson using nothing more than a hammer and gapper tape".

• Members

I had always assumed Warmoth stuff wasnt up to par with Fender's, but man there are some beautiful guitars in this thread.

It would not surprise me if I found out that Warmoth actually makes parts for Fender.

From what I understand, some high end Yamaha guitars used necks made by Warmoth.

• Members

It would not surprise me if I found out that Warmoth actually makes parts for Fender.

From what I understand, some high end Yamaha guitars used necks made by Warmoth.

Yup. The truly sought after bolt-ons had AWESOME necks made my Warmoth.

And I am trying really hard to laugh at the comparison between Warmoth and Fender. :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived