Who is your musical hero?

Spike Li

• Members

Here are my main musical heroes:

1. Karin Dreijer - Honey is Cool, The Knife, Fever Ray

2. Rose Melberg -Tiger Trap, Go Sailor, The Softies, etc.

3. Kim Deal - Pixies, The Breeders

4. Liz Phair

5. Tanya Donelly - Throwing Muses, The Breeders, Belly

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

As mentioned before, I have more than one!

These are my MUSICAL heroes, not guitar heroes...

Paul McCartney, John Lennon, and George Harrison (sorry Ringo :lol:)

Bob Marley

Yoshiaki Manabe of the pillows

Sawao Yamanaka of the pillows

the members of Asian Kung-Fu Generation

the Beach Boys

Kurt Cobain

Josh, Dave, Gregg, and Graham from Tokyo Police Club

John and Anthony from RHCP

Alex Turner from the Arctic Monkeys

And above all...my dad!

• Members

Too many to list, but out of the famous ones, I'd have to say Lifeson, Dimebag, EVH, Angus and Malcolm and Hetfield probably had the biggest impacts early on for me. And then there's a gent named Bob Tomich from around here who has been teaching for years and I have taken lessons from several times. I discovered Bob because I lived around the block from him when I was growing up and always heard him just ripping it up on guitar. So one day my curiosity finally got to me and I went to his house and introduced myself (I was 12) and asked if I could see what and how he played. He took me inside and I saw a wealth of awesome guitars and he showed me his recording setup and some songs he was working on. I was floored. When I finally got my first electrics I went self taught for as long as I could until I decided I should take lessons. That's when I went to Bob. I've gone to him for lessons off and on throughout the years. He's an amazing musician with a great sense of humor who is also very humble and loves to teach. I have recommended so many people to him over the years it's ridiculous. And I'm lucky enough to call him a friend also.

• Members

I began playing piano when I was very young, but for guitar, my dad decided when I was seven to buy me "Diary Of A Madman" back in 82.. Dad was always playing a wide variety of music growing up. My interest started there with guitar, and I started noodling on the acoustic he had. The guitar obsession came after two albums blew me away. Megadeth's "Killing Is My Business..." and the Randy Rhoads "Tribute" album. The guitar assault of Mustaine, and the overall performance of Rhoads. And good god, that tone Randy had on Tribute.. To hear the riffing going on with Dave, too, I was fascinated finding out he was dyslexic. It's amazing how players adapt to stick with the instrument they love, like Mustaine, Iommi, Reinhardt, Jeff Healey.. Hell, it's even interesting hearing the music that Jason Becker is composing with help now that Lou Gehrig's disease has limited his movement to communication by eye movement.

Many other guitarist have joined the ranks of those I admire, but those two were key to the obsession taking root.

• Members

Garth Brooks.

Seriously- he's a paunchy dweeb who writes ridiculously stupid music, yet he made zillions of dollars through sheer marketing genius. I am honestly, unironically jealous. Music critics and fans can dump on him all day long, and he just wipes his ass with $100 bills and laughs.

Second place- Jimmy Buffett.

• Members

I am a metal head and there are many more than these, but this is where I got my style from:

Hetfield/Burton - James is a great rhythm guitar player but he became much better after Cliff, "Orion" and "One" are the reasons why I started playing the guitar

Randy Rhodes/Zakk Wylde - masters of the fretboard, love the use of squeels/pinch harmonics

Dimebag - "Cowboys From Hell" nuff said

John Connolly/Clint Lowery - from Sevendust (hence my name), great at choppy rhythm and great poppy chorus riffs

Adam D/Joel Stroezel -from Killswitch Engage, great melodies, enough metal without being too hardcore

Oli Herbert - from All that Remains, he was a guitar teacher before he was in the band, I love the Hungarian Minor scale he often employs

Archived