Rickenbacker 330: sanding of the lacquered fingerboard?

zinzin

• Members

Those have rosewood fb don't they? Didn't know they were finished. I can't imagine how you'd do a good job with the frets on it. If the frets are worn and need replacing then maybe have it done as part of a refret, but it's a risk changing something that big on a high-ticket axe.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

My old bass player rocked a 4001, and he matted the finish on his fingerboard with steel wool. Feels faster, polishes your frets and can still be buffed out to a shine, should you ever sell.

tried to sand it down on a little part of the fingerboard side and it's very hard to make it even and good. how succesful was your bass player with the steel wool? does it look good? was it easy to do?

• Members

If it is lacquer and not poly, methyl alcohol (methylated spirits down here) will take it off and not damage anything else. Just takes a little rubbing. I have done it, just make sure to tape off the parts of the neck you don't want it on. Not that it would do anything without rubbing it but just to be safe. Keep using new parts of the rag or you will just rubbing lacquer on lacquer after awhile.

• Members

When I first got my 360 I did notice that the fretboard was a little sticky. Now that it's pretty well broken in 6 months later (it's been my #1 since I got it :love:) it feels perfectly fine. My advice is just to play the {censored} out of it and all will be good. If you're like me you won't be able to keep yourself from picking it up anyway... and I have a few other really nice guitars, but my 360 just takes the cake for me.

• Members

i own and played my rickenbacker as my main live guitar for over 15 years now :-) i guess it's already "broken in". still sticky. sliding notes or quick barre chord changes on sweaty summergigs are pretty hard work.

• Members

i own and played my rickenbacker as my main live guitar for over 15 years now :-) i guess it's already "broken in". still sticky. sliding notes or quick barre chord changes on sweaty summergigs are pretty hard work.

Mine's newer... maybe they changed the type of finish in the past 15 years. To me playing my 360 feels like I'm cheating, like it's almost too easy. YMMV obviously.

• Members

If it is lacquer and not poly, methyl alcohol (methylated spirits down here) will take it off and not damage anything else. Just takes a little rubbing. I have done it, just make sure to tape off the parts of the neck you don't want it on. Not that it would do anything without rubbing it but just to be safe. Keep using new parts of the rag or you will just rubbing lacquer on lacquer after awhile.

I believe it is acrylic urethane, same as PRS.

Archived