Any thousght on GFS Liverpools vs Nashvilles vs Stds vs Hots before I order?

GAS Man

• Members

There's some sound samples here of course

http://www.guitarfetish.com/Hot-Liverpool-Overwound-Alnico-Humbucker_c_118.html

But sound samples of course don't give you the whole story, like "how are they going to sound in my guitar?".

A lot of the chatter online about them is from folks putting them into lower priced semi-/& hollow body guitars, but I'm looking for mud killers for this little Epiphone of mine.

Cherylsgraduation019.jpg

Usually, I like to spend a bit more for my pickups (not top shelf, but you know, SDs, DiMarzio, Gibsons ,etc) but for a $200 Epiphone, I think an $80 investment from GFS products should do the trick.

I'm leaning towards the HOT Liverpools for a couple reasons. The Epi Wilshire is slim like an SG, so not a lot of meat under the pickups (although IIRC, it is a mahogany body) to add warmth & GFS describes the Hot Liverpools as being "Ultimate body and warmth with Fat, singing highs" and the guitar is already set up with coil split controls, so I thought the hots would also be better split.

I'm also considering a hot for the bridge and a std wound for the neck.

Any thoughts?

• Members

^^ Thanks.

I just noticed something confusing on Jay's site though

When he talked about the various levels of heat (windings) he expresses this:

"The Standard versions are about 35% hotter than vintage pickups, the "HOT" versions about 50% hotter!"

So that sounds like he has 3 different wind levels for each model.

But then when you look at his offerings, I'm only seeing "Vintage" and "Hot" :confused:

http://www.guitarfetish.com/GFS-Retrotron-Series_c_99.html

I'm wondering if he dropped a middle level or if his description is just messed up a bit. Maybe when he's talking "vintage" above, he's not talking about his "vintage" models but the actual vintage pickups (TV Jones, etc.) he's trying to replicate? :confused:

• Members

I think he is using "vintage" as in other makers pickups. His are the next 2 steps up.

This is recorded using the Nashville standards. Would like to get some overwounds as we have stepped up the raunch a little bit.

[video=youtube;BwNyR7BvzEM]

• Members

^^ Thanks for posting. That's really great tone. There's the raunch in there but still so much jangly Setzer-ish tones coming through.

What do you think would be the way to go with that slab model guitar I posted? I certainly don't want muddy, but I did for example put a set of Burtbucker Pros in an Epiphone G-400 Deluxe and found they have a bit too much presence for that guitar, so I'd like to avoid that consequence as well. Although that G-400 is still fun for when I want over the top vibe off the top of a guitar. ;)

• Members

^^ Thanks for posting. That's really great tone. There's the raunch in there but still so much jangly Setzer-ish tones coming through.

What do you think would be the way to go with that slab model guitar I posted? I certainly don't want muddy, but I did for example put a set of Burtbucker Pros in an Epiphone G-400 Deluxe and found they have a bit too much presence for that guitar, so I'd like to avoid that consequence as well. Although that G-400 is still fun for when I want over the top vibe off the top of a guitar.
;)

That tone is two amps recorded at once, one clean channel and one crunchy (one in each side of your speakers). I would for sure go with some overwounds in a solid body, but thats me, I tend to like a hotter pickup .

• Members

I put the Surf 90's in my Wilshire and am glad I did. They are the only GFS p/u's that have stayed in any of my guitars.

I would most likely go with those myself EXCEPT, that the model Wilshire I bought has separate coil tap (split) for both the neck and the bridge pickup. And seeing as those Surf 90s are single coil and not four conductor, I ruled them out in order to preserve that extra bit of versatility. But believe me, I've considered just foregoing the "split" feature to pursue what seems to be one of the most universally popular GFS p'ups to date. :thu:

• Members

^^ Thanks. I wasn't sure which meaning, but since that was my original thought (only to later confuse myself) plus with DARKMETL/ 's confirmation, I'm ready to just figure out whether the neck s/b hot or the standard wound. I'm torn between the classic combo as tlbonehead has suggested (hot in the bridge, and std in the neck) or going hot in both to get the most versatility out of the coil splitting feature. On one hand the full HB-mode of the standard wound might be the better tone choice for the neck than the hot in either full or split modes, but OTOH, the clip for the hot in the neck sounds pretty good too.

• Members

I would most likely go with those myself EXCEPT, that the model Wilshire I bought has separate coil tap (split) for both the neck and the bridge pickup. And seeing as those Surf 90s are single coil and not four conductor, I ruled them out in order to preserve that extra bit of versatility. But believe me, I've considered just foregoing the "split" feature to pursue what seems to be one of the most universally popular GFS p'ups to date.
:thu:

I see your dilemma. Since you have the coil split option, I would go with a hotter pickup too.

• Members

I have the Nashville in the neck of my tele. I wanted an extra bright pickup because that guitar is dark as hell. It's worked pretty well. I sometimes wish it had higher output because I have it paired with a Dimarzio Breed in the bridge, but I have no real complaints.

• Members

In looking for YT vids, I found there wasn't a lot of good videos out there on the Retrotrons. Most of the ones I found had either bad sound recorded or the tone was too heavily processed. This one, however, I thought was a good review of the standard wound Liverpool. The guy was not overly thrilled with it in a Les Paul, which I think demonstrates that these Retrotrons are generally better suited to hollow or possibly semi-hollow gits. But his comments about output make me feel like I'll be happier with the Hot. The neck p'up however, is still a bit of a question in my mind of standard vs hot.

[video=youtube;QAF9-6vlVv8]

Archived