Any thousght on GFS Liverpools vs Nashvilles vs Stds vs Hots before I order?

GAS Man

• Members

Well, if you want on take a chance on the hot and don't like it, I would buy it off ya. I have an Epi LP with a Bigsby on it that I would like to throw it in.

And I'll extend the opposite offer, Gas Man... If you buy the standard, non-hot version and decide you'd rather have the hot, I'll buy the standard version from you.

• Members
And I'll extend the opposite offer, Gas Man... If you buy the standard, non-hot version and decide you'd rather have the hot, I'll buy the standard version from you.

Thanks guys. I think I'm leaning towards the hot in the neck as well. If it were a semi-hollow or hollow body guitar that would add more depth I'd probably either stay with the standard winds for both or just the hot for the bridge. But I'm thinking that little cheapie Epi of mine might benefit from the extra warmth/body at the neck as well. I don't think from what I read that I'll have to worry about "muddiness" with either of these winds. It sounds like they do preserve the jangle.

Now for something more silly, what would you think about these knobs on that guitar to help complete the Gretschy look? :o

006-0914-000.jpg

GFS has this toggle switch tip that I thought I'd add to my order for kicks and giggles.

k131.jpg&maxx=0&maxy=300
That tip is only $2.95 at GFS, but the knobs from Guitar Parts Resource are pricey :eek:

• Members

Wondering how these might work in that Squier 51 I'm contemplating.

It's going to be a bit brighter on a '5,1 even a bit more so than my Epi, but it might sound good and it would look cool. I'm pretty sure I've seen that done before on a '51, was it Frets?

But I'd definitely (from what I've seen on the web) go for the Hot Liverpool on a '51 with that being the warmest biggest body sounding of the Retrotron bunch.

Now OTOH, that video I posted above, the guy is saying he was more happy with his GFS '59 than the standard Liverpool. He said it had more body and warmth IIRC.

• Members

I had a TV Jones Classic in a Strat and was absolutely going to go for a Gretsch knobs but ended up parting that guitar out.

Ah man, sounds like you let rational thought entire your GAS psyche :eek:

:lol: Disposition is still a skill I need to develop, so far I've just dabbled in it a bit.

• Members

I have a pair of memphis non-hot retrotrons in an orphaned Peavey T60 that followed me home. It is a GREAT country guitar - a real tele killer. I personally don't like hot pickups because they get too midrangey/boxy. These ones sound really good split, too. Even though these are not hot, as a humbucker, they are pretty ornery. Just as a reference. if you want a nice bright southern stanky jerry reed tone, then you could get the standard wound ones. I don't knwo what the diff was between nashville and liverpool. But for some reason, I thought the memphis ones were what I wanted based on the specs.

• Members

^^ Yeah, thanks for the comment. The Memphis from what I recall reading, use an Alnico II magnet, so it will be a bit sweeter & chimier/bright, indeed a good choice for country. The Nashvilles use a ceramic magnet and the Liverpool uses an Alnico V magnet. I indeed might stick with the standard wound for the neck but for the bridge I'll definitely go "hot" to get more versatility with the coil split option. Right now I'm just mentally going back and forth on the neck p'up like a ping pong ball. ;)

Archived