The Peavey HP Specials never took off.

EricJohn

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

I'm glad I found this thread. I have been through GAS a million times. I've owned JP6, JPX, LP Standard, LP Custom, Jackson DK1 and a Malmsteen strat and various SG's. I was looking at an EBMM Axis and I wasn't crazy about the body shape and then I stumbled upon the HP Special CT USA. That was over a year ago and anything else I play still doesn't do it for me. This guitar looks great in the tobacco burst, I love the maple binding, birdseye maple neck etc. The zebra pickups are really hot but clear. The neck feels awesome and that lok block tremolo system is brilliant.

Check it out. I'm actually on the hunt for a black cherry hard tail. And I am inlove wiht that Mocha burst on the Rock'n'Roll weekend site.

Check mine out!

51770502headstockl.th.jpg

51770502frontl.th.jpg

51770502closeupl.th.jpg

51770502bodyl.th.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I actually can't find a guitar that I like as much as this. I have gas because I haven't bought a guitar in over a year. And I have money to burn and there is nothing else I really want to buy except for another one of these. I was thinking of checking out some more EVH style guitars. How does the EVH Wolfgang compare? Or the Axis?

• Members

And I am in love wiht that Mocha burst on the Rock'n'Roll weekend site.

Check mine out!

51770502headstockl.th.jpg

51770502frontl.th.jpg

51770502closeupl.th.jpg

51770502bodyl.th.jpg

Hey! I saw that mocha burst first! Back up! :cop:

I kid, that guitar is :love::love::love: Yours ain't bad either. :thu:

I horribly offended that PV didn't stand behind these a little more, they were excellent guitars. I still plan on getting one someday.

• 9 months later...
  • Members

To compare EBMM with PV is ridiculous. Did they both have EVH and build guitars? Yes. The comparison stops there. PV's guitar market is only about 10% of what the company does and is known for. PV is an electronics company whether you like it or not.

I dont know how many times I have posted this on forums, but I look at the way EBMM conducted business and Peavey as how to be a success and how to fail. EBMM was a tiny little company who landed the biggest player of his era and after a year were able to move into a big new factory, and even after he bolted continued on working with top players and producing top shelf all US built guitars.On the other hand Peavey was a big company who never had any respect in the guitar community, though they turned out blue collar US made guitars that were great buys, and solid guitars. That all changed once they landed the big fish in the pond and overnight they had the respect they always craved, and showed they could produce a top shelf guitar with the big boys. They also opened a killer CS that started with 4 guys that produced some of the best sounding and playing guitars I ever played or heard. But they set their sites on the Asian market, closed down the Leaksville plant and lost Ed, but that should not of been the end of it all as EBMM proved. But I guess Hartley did not care about losing what momentum and respect they built up and shifted just about the whole guitar work load to Asia. If he would of taken the same route as EBMM and picked a few top players to work with as endorsers, instead of naming models after himself and a bottle of Jack Daniels they may still be rolling. Instead the CS has closed it's doors for good and they are turning out $299 pieces of {censored}. I would advise anyone to sit on ebay and grab a CS HP Special which are one of the best bargains you will find for a grand before they are all gone.Others may see things differently but that is the way I view the whole saga.

• Members

What were the street prices of the original Peavey EVH models back in the day? IIRC the Wolfgang Standard Hardtails were under $1k (I seem to remember them being around $800 new) and the flat top Specials with Floyds were even less and the stop tail flattop Specials were around $500. Correct me if I am wrong.

What are good prices on these and I checked Ebay and the only one that seemed under valued somewhat was a Wolfgang Special with Floyd for $625 but it is not mint. What are the going prices for the Wolfgang Standard (Floyd or Stoptail)? Seems used these would be in the low $1k range, no?

• Members

Has anyone ever added pickup rings even if just taped on so as to not make permanent mods on one of the EVH models? I never liked the "look" of direct mounted pickups without the rings, as it makes it look unfinished.

• Members

Hartley was the first guitar builder to use CNC, check it its true. That lowered costs enough to make good guitars in US at reasonable prices Once everyone went to Asia for CNC, PV had to chase the lowest price to compete. Hartley's always been about innovation, volume and value (not necessarily in that order!) He's never had (or chased) the "cool market"

• Members

Why is it ridicules to compare Peavey to EBMM? I think you should study your guitar history a little more. I see Hartley Peavey in the VG Hall of Fame as an innovator right next to Leo Fender, Ted McCarty, and Jim Marshall to name a few but I dont see Ernie or Sterling Ball. Peavey also had close to 100 different models to EB'S 7 and as stated Hartley was the first to use a CNC machine. Ebmm produced 6,000 EVH sig guitars in 6 years while Peavey produced over 8,000 in the second year alone. Yes Hartley wanted to produce guitars but he started in the 70's when Fender and Gibson were really the only names that mattered.

I am not a big fan of Peavey guitars and a huge fan of EBMM but when you land the biggest player on the planet, show the world you can build a top shelf guitar with the best of them as the Wolfgangs were/are killer guitars and then throw away all the respect you longed for all those years by taking 95% of your guitar building operation to Asia = You Blew It! Those Custom HP's are wicked guitars and you can find them all over at bargain bin prices.

The funny thing is this thread is a year old and Mario kept saying stock up on Wolfgangs because they are so cheap. Well I guess with the new album and tour as well as Ed regaining his old form must of had an impact. Look on Ebay now and a clean Standards are going in the upper teens to 2K+! What a difference a year makes.

• Members

Peavey took their business overseas to compete with everyone else too keep their prices to what they wanted. Eddie became frustrated with Peavey for the same reason he became frustrated with EBMM. They couldn't get products out fast enough for him. Ernie Ball will eventually get to the VG Hall of Fame.

• Members

I sooo wanted to take a chance on one of those guitars, but have been afraid they might have the same freakishly narrow neck as a T-15 I once owned. I think the HP Special with the blue quilt top is one of the most gorgeous guitars I've ever seen (only seen pictures).

• Members

I sooo wanted to take a chance on one of those guitars, but have been afraid they might have the same freakishly narrow neck as a T-15 I once owned. I think the HP Special with the blue quilt top is one of the most gorgeous guitars I've ever seen (only seen pictures).

American HPs are nothing, nothing like the old T-series or early/mid-90s Predators. The HP Custom I just sold had a gorgeously fat neck and 1 3/4" nut - I believe the Specials and other bolt-ons use a Wolfgang profile, which is outstandingly comfortable.

Archived