I've NEVER Had Such Difficulty Buying A Guitar Through a Forum Before!

Doctor Morbius

• Members

I would back away - this guy seems flaky and irrational. There's no backstop for these type of online deals, only trust. While it might be an uncommon guitar, the reality is that one WILL come up again if you're patient. It's not fun to be patient, but I'd rather wait a few months and keep my eye open than risk getting ripped off for a decent chunk of coin.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

In NYC - just having a car is a big step! No where to park. Then you have to go through the hassle of driving it, dealing with a sea of taxis and pedestrians, only to get to your destination to find - no parking. Then if you do find a spot, the meter costs you $5 in coins for the 30 minutes you're there, and you have to schlepp the heavy box 8 blocks back to the store. Or just try to do it all by subway. Yeah, good luck with that!

Honestly, it's another world. A strange and fascinating world, but completely foreign and simple tasks in suburbia become an impossibility no one would understand in the city.

Or you just step outside your apartment, hop in a cab for $10, and be done with it. I don't think being in NYC is much of an excuse for not being able to get it done.

• Members

Although this sounds weird, he's probably legit, and is being honest with you. If he is in the process of making a long-distance move and has left the guitar back home in NYC then it would be a great hassle for anyone, let alone someone's mom, to ship it. Even if his mom shipped it via USPS she'd likely have to schlep the thing in a box for a quarter mile or so ...

• Members

It sounds like he didn't really tell the truth once.

I wouldn't do business with him.

It is a beautiful guitar, and I'm sure you would enjoy it - however that shouldn't cloud your judgement. If the deal doesn't SEEM right, it isn't right. You paypal'ed him the money, he sent it back - count your blessings.

Exactly...wishy/washy.

Count your blessings, indeed.

• Members

Although this sounds weird, he's probably legit, and is being honest with you. If he is in the process of making a long-distance move and has left the guitar back home in NYC then it would be a great hassle for anyone, let alone someone's mom, to ship it. Even if his mom shipped it via USPS she'd likely have to schlep the thing in a box for a quarter mile or so ...

And that just makes it even worse. And tells us a lot about him as a person. Obviously not very organized. Obviously not smart enough to multi task. And obviously doesn't even have a basic amount of respect for the people who are interested in buying his guitar, because he's so self absorbed.

I'd bet my best guitar that the guy runs the rest of his life the exact same way.

If he doesn't have time to conduct business to sell his guitar then he shouldn't be selling his guitar. It's just basic courtesy.

• Members

The USPS, UPS and Fed Ex will pick up packages at people's homes, so there is no reason for anyone to have to schlep anything anywhere, not even in New York City.

It's probably not packed and his mother doesn't want to have to deal with that. Unless you can find someone to go pick it up, drop the whole matter. He sounds like he's young, disorganized, and got too much going on to do this properly.

Added: And even if you could get someone to pick it up, I bet the mom would go ballistic with strangers showing up and wanting to look at the guitar. I'd drop it.

• Members

OMG -- a musician who's disorganized and apparently ill-suited to deal with real-life situations. STOP THE PRESSES!!!!
:lol:

No {censored}. Do you guys even read all the posts in a thread? Or have I won the troll lottery and ended up on everyone's ignore list?

The guy's in a band on a real label. They're about to release an album and he's moving across country. He's not sitting on his vinyl couch playing blooze licks in between reruns of Reba and just being a general flake-tard.

• Members

No {censored}. Do you guys even read all the posts in a thread? Or have I won the troll lottery and ended up on everyone's ignore list?

The guy's in a band on a real label. They're about to release an album and he's moving across country. He's not sitting on his vinyl couch playing blooze licks in between reruns of Reba and just being a general flake-tard.

Well then, he should have waited to list it, shouldn't he? What kind of dip{censored} tries to solicit a cross-country deal when he's obviously not in any sort of position to follow through? I still say he's a flake...

• Members

I'm going to try and buy the Jag now. I've dealt with the guy and know he's solid. You guys continue with this utterly off-base speculative debate.

'off-base'?

The guy took payment and said that someone already paid. That person backs out? Come on. If he wasn't a flake then he would have already shipped it to the OP.

After you get that Jag...no...BEFORE you get the Jag - I have a bridge I can sell you for $2000. There is an island that goes with it. Super deal.

Bottom line: there are enough red flags. If you proceed and are successful then great. If you proceed and it turns out crappy then a bunch of people told you so and probably not one will enjoy telling you.

• Members

I'm going to try and buy the Jag now. I've dealt with the guy and know he's solid. You guys continue with this utterly off-base speculative debate. LONG LIVE ROBBEN FORD!

I don't get your point. Hes in a a signed band therefore hes not a flake or a time waster? Hows that work then?

• Members

'off-base'?

The guy took payment and said that someone already paid. That person backs out? Come on. If he wasn't a flake then he would have already shipped it to the OP.

After you get that Jag...no...BEFORE you get the Jag - I have a bridge I can sell you for $2000. There is an island that goes with it. Super deal.

Bottom line: there are enough red flags. If you proceed and are successful then great. If you proceed and it turns out crappy then a bunch of people told you so and probably not one will enjoy telling you.

Yes, off base from my perspective. But at the same time, I can see how the rest of you, only basing your opinions on this thread, would think otherwise.

I bought a guitar off him a couple of months ago with no worries. I also know a little bit more of his background and circumstances, so yes, I have different insight than the rest of you.

Fair enough. I would follow the mob rule on this one since my word is as good as Eddie Van Halen's sobriety coach.

• Members

still dont see what that has to do with him being in a signed band.

Without giving too much away at the request of the OP, the dude is busy and that might be causing the flakiness. He's not a basement player too lazy to go down to The UPS Store. That was my only point in bringing up the signed band thing.

And if he rips you off, you can contact ___________ Records and bitch and moan to their A&R guy.

To the OP: I'm sorry to hear about the runaround. That's a great deal on the Jag, and hope it somehow works out for you. I just wanted to stand up for the seller, who presumably doesn't know his salad is being tossed on this board. Seacrest out.

• Members

Without giving too much away at the request of the OP, the dude is busy and that might be causing the flakiness. He's not a basement player too lazy to go down to The UPS Store. That was my only point in bringing up the signed band thing.

And if he rips you off, you can contact ___________ Records and bitch and moan to their A&R guy.

To the OP: I'm sorry to hear about the runaround. That's a great deal on the Jag, and hope it somehow works out for you. I just wanted to stand up for the seller, who presumably doesn't know his salad is being tossed on this board. Seacrest out.

:thu: I'd give him the benefit of the doubt here. I've read a lot of buyer/seller disputes where the other side of the story really puts things in perspective.

• Members

Be glad it didn't work out, imagine if the guitar didn't come as advertised and you had to deal with him more?

This. Clearly not someone you want to work with, whether he's just flaky or busy building the next Mars rover. Shipping a guitar isn't much of a challenge.

• Members

I don't take from his PM's to Doc that the guy was trying to be difficult. It did sound like he was in a difficult situation with very tight time-constraints. If I could fault him for anything it was his trying to conduct business under those circumstances, because how could Doc or the other buyers know about the issues. Bottom line: he was honest enough that he refunded the money without hesitation. I wouldn't worry about it any further Doc. It seems the guy is now in no position to ship the guitar anyway.

On a side note, it'll be interesting for a perspective buyer who would presumably being dealing with the guy's mom. I'm trying to picture her and can't decide which TV mom she'd most resemble; Estelle Costanza, Edith Bunker, or the mom from Everybody Loves Raymond. :lol:

• Members

The USPS, UPS and Fed Ex will pick up packages at people's homes, so there is no reason for anyone to have to schlep anything anywhere, not even in New York City.

Not if he lives in a secured, multi-unit building, like the overwhelming majority of folks in the city do. The Post Office drops mail into a bank of boxes and leaves notices for packages to be picked up at the office. FedEx and UPS may do a pickup from a front desk or receiving office (if the building has one) but they are not going to ring the intercom of an individual unit ...

Archived