Dammit. Never thought this day would come.

Kuz929

• Members

I've owned a few Les Paul's over the years (79 LP Custom, 80 LP Standard and Deluxe) and fortunately for me I never bonded with any of them. That's neither their fault or mine, just a fact. I presently own an 81 Magnum Pro guitar with craploads of options that I'm quite enamored with (although unemployment is forcing me to at least try and sell it). Due to all the tonal options available I can honestly say I could easily have it as my only guitar if I had to. On the left.

DSC07149.jpg

• Members

I have Gibson Les Paul GAS
:cry:

Been messing around with a ton of different pauls lately and I'm really liking some of them, but 'meh' on others. Certain ones just sing.

I got to borrow a friend's early 90s standard tonight for a little open jam they hold here in town every monday night... and sure enough, I actually liked it. Yea, I know early 90s are considered some golden years, which is probably why I liked it so much.

But now I want one
:facepalm:
and they cost so. friggin. much.
:mad:

TLDR: post some pictures of les pauls so I can drool a bit
:wave:

2011LesPaulEricClaptonECBeanoVOSElectric

very nice beano, kuz! what kind of deal would you get through your work on a nice LP? PM me if you feel like it- it's been a while since i heard from you about shop life anyway :)

i think you should give in to temptation and get yourself a proper Gibson Les Paul and then proceed to play the snot out of it live alongside that stunning G&L for the next 30 years (at least).

• Members

very nice beano, kuz! what kind of deal would you get through your work on a nice LP? PM me if you feel like it- it's been a while since i heard from you about shop life anyway
:)

i think you should give in to temptation and get yourself a proper Gibson Les Paul and then proceed to play the snot out of it live alongside that stunning G&L for the next 30 years (at least).

Ben you dog! haha that's precisely the answer I didn't want.... but secretly did want! haha PM incoming :rawk:

• Members

I'm not going to post my Plain Jane Gloss black Studio Lite with all these heartbreakers posted. But she's a definite keeper and to me at least, the equal or better of any of her more well dressed sisters. I like that mine came with stock Grovers, is a little slimmer and easier to carry. And don't think she can't wail with the best, cause she can. This is all the Les Paul I'll ever need. And as far as getting the real thing, why do you feel you have to rationalize it. My other Gibson styles are Chicago made Hamers and just fabulous guitars in their own right, but that dang Gibson, well it's really got its own thing goin on. Great sounding guitar that can quiver and sustain for days.

• Members

^^^ I still remember having lust for a blue Studio Lite with black HW (IIRC) back in the day. I often think of that guitar and wish I had bought it from the local store. But that was before I lost control of my GAS and my first LP was a CS '83 Studio, so another variation didn't make a lot of sense to me at the time. I knew about the "chromyte" block, but I didn't realize until years later that that lighter design ALSO had the hotter pickups (496/500s) in them. That's something I don't have in a Gibby LP :(

;)

Looked like this

p2_ufwmrxw51_so.jpg

IMG_0559.JPG

• Members

^^^ I still remember having lust for a blue Studio Lite with black HW (IIRC) back in the day. I often think of that guitar and wish I had bought it from the local store. But that was before I lost control of my GAS and my first LP was a CS '83 Studio, so another variation didn't make a lot of sense to me at the time. I knew about the "chromyte" block, but I didn't realize until years later that that lighter design ALSO had the hotter pickups (496/500s) in them. That's something I don't have in a Gibby LP
:(

;)

Looked like this

p2_ufwmrxw51_so.jpg
IMG_0559.JPG

That's a nice lookin one. Regarding the pickups, I noticed in the last mailorder catalogue I got that I couldn't find one Gibson with the ceramic buckers - looks like they've gotten away from them in favour of alnicos. I've always been a big fan of the ceramic sound (surprising how close they come to sounding like P90s in this axe). I love the stock neck bucker but the bridge had a feedback issue at high gain so I replaced it with a Duncan JB I had laying around. Now I have the best of both worlds IMO, and the way they blend in the middle setting is also very useable. Wonder if Gibson has abandoned the ceramics though.

• Members

That's a nice lookin one. Regarding the pickups, I noticed in the last mailorder catalogue I got that I couldn't find one Gibson with the ceramic buckers - looks like they've gotten away from them in favour of alnicos. I've always been a big fan of the ceramic sound (surprising how close they come to sounding like P90s in this axe). I love the stock neck bucker but the bridge had a feedback issue at high gain so I replaced it with a Duncan JB I had laying around. Now I have the best of both worlds IMO, and the way they blend in the middle setting is also very useable. Wonder if Gibson has abandoned the ceramics though.

Nah, the 496/500s are still common fare on their more "metal" attribute guitars (like Vs and Explorers). I've had mixed feelings about those pickups. I first heard them in a '76 RI Explorer I bought for my son and didn't care for them that much. I thought they sounded a bit sterile clean but uber-cool with some serious gain. Later I bought myself an Explorer Mahogany Pro with the same pickups and it actually has great sounding cleans. Very vibey and chimey. So I've learned that it really depends upon which guitar they are in. Later I installed a set of Gibson 496/500 in my Yamaha SBG700S. I'd tried modding that guitar with a Duncan '59 and a PG, but the '59 was too muddy and the PG was too ice-picky "in that guitar" plus in the split modes they were too thin sounding, so my next mod I used Gibson ceramics and with there flatter EQ, they worked quite a bit better for that guitar. The neck got more definition and the bridge got a better balanced EQ. Plus they still retain enough umph for some split coil action. But yeah, I don't know if Gibson is using them anymore on any of their Lesters. The LP "Classic" did have a long successful run though. Krashpad is one here who regularly rocks out with one of those. I'm certainly more of a fan of them now that I was at first blush.

Archived